Saturday, September 24, 2005

Presentation is a piece of cake

I can't explain it, but in a dry run of a presentation I gave to my boss, I was actually enjoying the presentation, much to my delight and surprise. Sure, I was a little nervous in the first 3 minutes or so; but once I overcame that, the adrenaline set in and I was on the roll!

I suppose the following tips found in the Internet help:

1. People are more interested in hearing what you have to say than who is saying it. The message behind the messager is what matters.
2. Treat the presentation as a form of communication to your bosses or colleagues rather than as a "performance".
3. There is no such thing as a "perfect" speech.
4. Don't think How you can survive the presentation; but think How you can do it Brilliantly?

You'll be surprised at how many people fear public speaking as seen in the photo below of a group of people having conquered that fear in a seminar. If you try hard enough, you could even spot me in the picture.



Hehehe.. Gotcha! That picture was taken from a website that generates banners for anything under the sun. Wanna protest against a policy in your office? Saying no to the cancer stick? Or lending your voice against pre-marital SEX? You can create you own banner here, courtesy of Cowboy Caleb.

2 comments:

Victor said...

There, didn't I tell you that your initial fears of giving the presentation were quite unfounded? I knew that you had it in you all along - I mean the gift of the gab. You just had to vocalise it. Wasn't present at the presentation to be able to give you feedback about your presentation but I believe that you have done it brilliantly enough for it to be considered as a performance 'plus' factor in the next ranking/promotion exercise. (I am serious about this, for once.)

Now I just hope that OKD, who had told me before about her (imagined?) inability/fear of giving presentations, could draw some inspiration from this post of yours.

Chris Sim said...

Er... I don't recall you telling me the fear is unfounded leh. And promotion? Pse, not the crap again. This one is 可遇不可救。But thanks for your encouragement anyway. I mean it.

OKD would be just fine. MJM and myself would be there to give her support. It turns out she has to say something during the actual presentation too. Hehehe..