Thursday, September 01, 2005

Food glorious food... Live to eat or eat to live??


According to an article on the Aug 10 issue of the Straits Times Mind Your Body, these are the food to avoid if one has been diagnosed with heart disease:
1. oily, deep-fried and high-calorie foods,
2. food known to be high in cholesterol such as pig's brain (yucks!) and seafood.
3. Local food like char kuay teow, roti prata, oyster omelette and fried chicken with the skin on are also food to avoid.


It goes on to add that if one is suffering from high blood pressure, these are the food to avoid:
1. Excessive salt and
2. All of the above.


Oh dear. What's there to live for someone like me who live to eat? Lest you think I'm suffering form some form of heart disease, no I'm not [TOO WOOD!], but yes, unfortunately, I do have some mild HBP, all thanks to over-eating and lack of exercising. Experts these days termed these as 'life-style' diseases most commonly associated with increased affluence. Which is absolutely crap for I'm certainly not rich. So why me???

Luckily, the experts are not always right (like when they hinted that I'm rich). For instance, scientists never fail to tell us the importance of drinking water. Then, in a back-flip, they said that too much water can kill! Not convinced? There are more here on "Why Medical Studies Are Always Wrong".

Unluckily, it would be foolhardy, suicidal even, for me to completely disregard the warning of the experts. What if they are correct this time?

I suppose Moderation is the key to my woes. We can't have too much of a good thing, (not even water). Perhaps I should take a leaf out of the book of our fore-father MM Lee, who, at 82 attributes one reason for his longevity on not always eating himself full. That means I'll go half hungry most of the time. Some food for thoughts (no pun intended). But I'm not sure if I have the will power to do so. I'll probably go half-angry most of the time too, as the saying goes, "A hungry man is an angry man". Besides, with due respect to MM Lee, he's no scientist and he may not be always right. Hmmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victor said...

For a moment, you must have thought that there is finally a another person visiting your blog and interested in what you are writing. But alas, this is not to be. Fibromyalgia is obviously more concerned about its market sales figures rather than your health. Although it managed to beat me to be the first to comment this time, I am definitely more genuinely concerned about your state of health than Fibromyalgia is. One piece of advice I could give is: Do not give in to temptation when lunching with the Bagus kakis. Eat what you think is right for you. If you do that, we will not blame you and conversely, we will also be free of blame from you, hehe.

Chris Sim said...

I've put a stop to those spams that leave unwanted comments on my blog. Unfortunately, I've not been able to put a stop to the high caleries and unhealthy food I share with Bagus kakis. For instance the Kway Chap during today's lunch. Weren't you the one who suggested eating that? And I figure it wouldn't be fun to see you eat the kway chap alone, so I joined in lor. Hehehe..