Monday, October 16, 2006

Just how wet can a blanket get?

What a damper. A wet blanket. A spoil sport. All rolled into one.

The rollerblades have been bought. The Grand Master, who has offered me lessons FOC, has also spoken. Yes, we have agreed to have some rollerblading good time at East Coast Park, barring worsening of the haze condition, and immediately after my son finishes his exam. Friends who blade swear by it. They say it's much better then high-impact exercises like running which is detrimental to the knees and joint. And I'm not really fond of jogging. I was told I could have a good work-out with just the rollerblades. An hour is all it takes to make me sweat out like pigs, so they say. At long last, I've put thoughts into action for one of my 2006 resolutions - to learn to roller blade. I was most happy. And excited.

But Victor, the Grand Master, like the evil covetous step-sisters in Cinderella, just couldn't wait to try his hands feet on his new pair of rollerblades. Having learned how to roller-skate (note: it's SKATE and NOT blade) when he was many moons younger, Victor naturally thought that he would take to rollerblading like monkeys to trees ducks to water. So, off he went on a solo trip to the East Coast Park last Friday, to have some fun with his blades.

Today, he text-messaged me to tell say that he was on MC for a day or two. He had sprained his ankle while rollerblading last Friday, but woke up this morning and felt the pain. Poor Victor; I feel for him, cause I suffered a hair-line crack on my right foot years ago and was out of the office for two solid months. Let's just hope that Victor would not suffer the way I did, even if the 2-month MC sounds rather appealing....

But Victor seemed to be trying to tell me something in his next text, "Is your son wearing a size 8?" When I replied no, he texted that he would put it up in Yahoo auctions. Obviously, he was trying to get rid of his new pair of rollerblades. It's also quite obvious that he is no longer in the mood to blade or coach me. And to think that I was almost on the verge of kowtowing to him and calling him 师父。

Sigh.

Category: Musings

5 comments:

Victor said...

Hey friend, I have retorted to you via this post which incidentally appeared earlier than yours although yours was dated one day before. In it, I raised a number of issues that you need to answer too, hehe.

Wee Kiat also hinted that you should pay for professional coaching instead. Don't be such a cheapskate lah. Can't you just get that into your "thick skull"?

Chris Sim said...

Can u juz get a grip!! Relax man... it jus a fall. You simply have to pick yourself up... As the song goes ... 喂喂不要怕,你是好娃娃。自己跌倒自己爬.... U r worse than a 4 year old!

I'll consider engaging a professional coach if I think you're not up to mark, Victor. That would be later. But first, when's the training?

Chun See - care to join us? It would be fun, and would be quite a sight ... 3 old men (acutally 2, the other still quite young) rollerblading .... :P

Lam Chun See said...

No thank you. I don't want to end up with swollen ankle and foul mood. Anyway, I cannot afford $500 blades.

Chris Sim said...

You speed reading again ah, Chun See? Victor wrote we both bought rollerblades to the tune of $500. So one pair only about $250 lah. Very affordable one. We juz have to make sure we won't end up like Victor lor who din bother with safety guards at all. One spoil sport is more than enough. We dun need another. How?

Anonymous said...

Oldie roller-skating is like those 'chiang si' in movie, hands stretching out, and hopping. I am not referring to some prominent figure.