Friday, October 27, 2006

A Wonder called Fish


No, it's not quite a Fish called Wanda. It's a Wonder called Fish.

This is probably old news. We've read much about the benefits of eating fish, for instance, it's good for the foetus, for our brains and at keeping heart diseases at bay and blada blada blada....

What I didn't know is that eating fish can actually make us mere mortal happy!

Well, for the uninitiated, the Omega 3 fatty acid found in oily fish such as mackerel, lake trout, sardines, tuna, and salmon has the attributes to make people less prone to depression. Indeed, scientists conducted a survey across the continents and concluded that the Japanese has the lowest rate of depression in the world. The reasons? They eat large amount of fish. On the other extreme, scientists are saying that people who are aggressive and unhappy probably have very little Omega 3 in the body system. The study implies that killers, murderers and psychopaths behave the way they do because of a lack of Omega 3 in their system!! Dig that. Yes, Omega 3 is believed to have the ability to make us less irritable, and is very likely to make us happy individuals.

We already know Omega 3 is good for the human brains, ie; it makes us clever. So, if you want your kids to be smart and ace the exam, make them eat fish! This is not a joke. It's been scientifically proven. Why? I see living examples of this everywhere. Not just on kids, on old men as well.

A case in point is Victor. Now I know why he's such a smarty, always so clever with his retorts. And we don't make him a consultant in the office for nothing, you know.

Yes, Victor is a fish lover. Man, you should have seen how he stripped a decent size fish to the bones during lunch time with a look in his face that reminds you of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland - satisfied, happy and shiok! He probably has more Omega 3 in his brain than most of us. The fact that Victor is mild in temperament and is always cheerful is further proof that Omega 3 is good for the development of our brains.

Sad to say, I'm the exact opposite of Victor. I'm mostly a meat-eater (I tried being a flexitarian but it didn't really work out) - bakwa, kway chap, pig trotters - you name it, I'd eat it. I'm just not that fond of fish. Which calls into question my level of intelligence (or stupidity?), cheerfulness (or moodiness?). But hey, things are about to change. With all these evidence right in my face, the chief of it being Victor, I've decided to mend my way. Yes, I’ll opt for fish henceforth. So instead of the Big Mac, it's gonna be fillet; instead of beef steak, I'll have fish 'n' chips, instead of Bakwa, I'll have ... well.. BBQ cuttle fish? Why, I do realise eating fish could make a BIG difference whether I'd become a psychopath or a normal law-abidding citizen, and I rather be the latter. Heh.

Category: Musings

13 comments:

Victor said...

Did I hear you say you vowed to eat more fish, Chris? Then what about that sinful coconut-milk-laden $6.30 nasi lemak lunch you had today? Fried ikan bilis and fish otak, just like BBQ cuttlefish, do not count as healthy fish, okay? Or do you mean that the vow takes effect only from "tomorrow" again. You are making my toes laugh again. Everyday has a tomorrow, Chris. You are what I would call "a very optimistic procrastinator".

Your post on whether eating fish makes us intelligent is very timely. Do not miss the CNA TV documentary tomorrow (28 Oct 06 Sat), entitled "Could Fish Make My Child Smart?". Timings of the broadcast are 8.00 am, 1.02 pm and around midnight. The documentary will either dispel the myth or support this belief. I will be watching it. More retorts may come after I've watched the documentary.

Victor said...

May I add that the title of the last post, "Resolve that's as hazy as the region" looks like a very apt title for this post as well, muahahaha.

Anonymous said...

yea great idea uncle chris. and also, eat spaghetti & fish balls instead of meatballs! lol

i'm a super duper meat lover too. must hv meat in every meal!

Lam Chun See said...

Go ahead, as long as you don't become too ngiao.

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't be too harsh on yourself. Have a balance life, a plate of char kway teow once a while, I believe, won't finish us off. I asked an expatriate officer (migrated to Australia) years ago why was so healthy despite being a smoker. His reply: "strike a balance in your life".

Chris Sim said...

Oh Victor, must you remind me of that expensive lunch at Vivo City? Daylight robbery man! I know otak and ikan bilis don't quite qualify as healthy fish food lah. I said "henceforth" I'd eat fish; ie, right after I published this post mah. Prior to that NOT counted, ok?

Evan, I've never fancy meatball, unless it's the ngor hiang.

Chun See, it's evident that you don't take much fish. Even kids would know that eat fish won't turn you into a cat one. Victor, hor?

Zen, you said the sweetest and most sensible thing! Yes, we should not try to avoid a particular kinda food. The key to a good and happy life-style is to eat our food, anything, in MODERATION. After all, we only live once, hor?

Anonymous said...

We not only live once in this life-time. The experience we go through today won't be the same tomorrow. Cherish today. My mother used to say whether our life is good or bad, it has come this far - so don't regret.

Chris Sim said...

Zen, your mother is right. Bet she ate lots of fish. Heheh. Life is simply too short for regret....
Woa... suddenly got some many comments from you. You work in spurt is it? Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

For you information my mother simply loved to eat, my goodness, hard to believe, fish-eyes. I think one of Chun See's kids has this trait. She had terrific memory only of the past, reciting Chinese poems, telling stories (wide range). Does it sounds familiar ? Do you all want to try fish-eyes ?

Chris Sim said...

Fish-eyes? That's what I aim for whenever there's curry fish-head on the table! No kidding! I love chewing on it.... no meat but I love the texture.... It's so chewy it feels as if you're eating chewing gum. You must try it!

I also love chicken back-side. But it must be cooked "confinement-style" with sesame oil and ginger. My mum used to by them a handful for about 50 cents in the market. Of course, it's very sinful because the backside of the chickens are mostly FAT, but very "chewy". I've cut down on that. :P

Victor said...

Whenever I have curry fish head with Chris, I would fight with him over the eyes (eye, if it is only half a fish head). In fact, you should know by now that I fight with him over anything and everything, short of punching each other in the eyes. :p

Chris Sim said...

No Victor, we didn't really get into any "cat" fight for the eyes. As I remembered, you normally gave in to me, knowing you're no match for me. And you know why? You will never be able to punch at me. Being tall has its DISADVANTAGES, you know. Hee.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, I didn't know so many people love to eat fish-eyes. So I believe, you two and Chun See's kid are as intelligent as my mother. Pardon my assumption.