Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mr Fix-it

There are guys who are juz good with their hands, and there are guys who are brilliant with their hands. I belong to the former. I give good massages (juz ask the Slim Lady), and whip out a good meal whenever the mood calls for it. In school, I was good at art and craft. Many of my drawings were showcased on the classroom board for all to admire. No, I'm not blowing my trumpet.

How could I be? When there are brilliant guys with brilliant hands who never fail to show off what brilliant things they could do. I call them Mr Fix-it. And Victor is one of them.

See? I had been suffering from internet-withdrawal syndrome for the past few days. While trying to set up a wireless network at home with a router, I accidentally broke the AC adapter of my cable modem, rendering the modem useless, and the family without internet access. I was most frustrated.

I thought replacing the adapter was as simple as shopping for one at Challenger or any of the IT or electrical shops. How wrong was I. A sales assistant who said he studied electrical engineering, told me that cable modems are delicate equipment that “toast” easily if a wrong adapter is used. Another one told me that he had a customer who not only toasted his modem, but along with it went his router and his PC. Victor was of the opinion that the salesmen were juz trying to scare me. But why should they? You would think that they would want to rip me off using scare tactics to get me to buy their products, right? The other alternative is to get a replacement from Starhub which would set me back by $42. A used one I spotted at yahoo auction went for $25.

Then Victor came to the rescue. He painstaking soldered back the adapter for me. Never mind if it's safe to use (no PUB approval sale leh), but see how neat his handiwork is?

I remembered the time when both my WC at home were leaking, jacking up my water bill to a ridiculously high figure. Victor too came to my rescue. No, he didn't fix them for me; but he recommended a really good and honest plumber to do the job. In the office, Mr Fix-it is also extremely adept at "deciphering" the number lock of the office key-press whenever someone accidentally scrambles the original number lock.

Everybody loves a Mr Fix-it when they see one. Mr Fix-it would fix any crook and cranny for you, anywhere, anytime. As a man, Victor put me to shame. But it's a shame I’m happy to put up with. I'm still waiting for him to come to my house to fix my door chime, and the power point from which I pulled the problematic adapter.

LOL

Victor - I'm sure the repaired adapter would work as good as new. But I thought it's time I replace the 3-year-old cable modem with a new one. Juz to let you know that I really appreciate your help in fixing the adapter, never mind that you did it during office hour. Hahaha.

Category: Musings

3 comments:

Victor said...

You want to sabo me is it (with your last sentence)? Some ungrateful friend. But thanks for the sumptuous Botak Jones lunch treat just now. BUURRP...

No problem fixing your door chime and your wall socket... provided you don't mind exposing the slim lady. Or choose an opportune time when she's not around and give the handyman a tinkle. (Oh, BTW be informed that house calls incur a minimum of $30 transport charge, wahahaha.)

iml said...

Aren't you lucky to have a friend like Victor. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Chris Sim said...

don't mean to sabo you pal. BTW, u sabo yourself with your advertisement on making house-calls for sundry and all. Don't u know it's against regulatoins to moonlight? Hahaha...

Yes, Liling. Vic is a buddy I can count on anytime. Where to find a friend who shares your woes in the form of leaking toilets? Oh, he also assisted a colleague in the toilet renovation. But I think that is something he wants to forget. LOL.