Sunday, June 18, 2006

After all these years, men are still from Mars, and women are still from Venus

I couldn't agree more with Evan, a blogofriend of mine when she expressed surprise that my Junior has never been out in the rain. Evan wrote that "Singaporeans are so pampered". It's true - our kids today live very sheltered lives.

Alas, gone are our "kampung days", where bare-chested and bare-footed kids could be seen "catching spiders" in the deep forest; or having a splashing good time in the river just by their attap houses. Back then, kids needed very little supervision. Dads were usually the breadwinners; and the housewife mums try to make life a little more bearable by taking side-jobs such as dress-making or clothes-washing. Thankfully, many of those kids turned out none the worse.

Fastforward to this modern age. Many of our kids live in enclosed places like our HDB flats. Interaction amongst neighbors are scarce, if exists at all. Many parents are educated. Sometimes, we can't blame the parents for being over-protective towards their children. They only want what they think are the best for their kids. And they want to protect them from harm or bad influences. But in my opinion, I'm inclined to think that the mothers, more than the fathers, tend to over-protect the kids more. Trust me, take it from a Dad of two.

Take a cue from the instructions passed on to me by none other than my wife the Slim Lady on the day I brought the kids to East Coast Park:

Wife says: I'll pack a bottle of sun-block into the bag. Remember to apply the lotion on the kids while out cycling. I don't want them looking like lobsters.
Me thinks: (Aiyoh... just a bit of sun only what... u think we going for a swimming meet, is it?)

Wife says: And yes, get them to put on these jockey caps to protect their scalp against the sun, too.
Me thinks: (What, none for me? And I thought I'll need the hat more, considering my reclining hairline?)

Wife says: Pack one extra T-shirts in case they get a chill from the sweaty shirt.
Me thinks: (Woa, macam going camping hor? Wanna bring the "safari bed" or not?)

Wife says: And the raincoat, in case it rains.
Me thinks: (Then we just ditch the bicycles and head for the lagoon lor)

See? Women over-analyze, over-worry and over-protect. Men are usually cool and if anything, think that a little obstacles in life are fine to "toughen" the boys up.

My conclusion? It's very obvious that both genders are engineered differently. Men will forever be in Mars, and women in Venus. What more can I say?

Category: Musings

8 comments:

Victor said...

Very tongue-in-cheek post Chris, especially the part about the reclining hairline. Never heard any men suffering from this affliction of male-patterned baldness before. (Yours must be the first case.) Most of them suffer from a receding hairline... plus a declining memory (of vocabulary), wahaha.

Anonymous said...

hey chris, no hard feelings hor. i'm juz stating the fact only...which is true rite? i've taught some kids myself, and they're a difficult lot. pampered, full of pride, cannot be criticized...all these are the usual traits of our 未来的主人翁. sometimes i really think its sad, coz thats what the society is nowadays.

Chris Sim said...

Evan - no offence taken. I agree with you whole-heartedly. It's tough being a parent these days. And I think it's also hard to be kids. You can only imagine the amount of presssure they're under.

Victor - you ah, always ever ready to prance on my typo. I comb my hair by flipping it up. So, in a way, it ain't wrong to say that my hair is "reclining" wat? Just like the way we recline on a chair lah. Hng!

iml said...

Like everything else, we are just being protective to all those that we cherish and love dearly.
Ignorance is indeed bliss. But now we know better. The ozone layer is getting thinner, it's acid rain that is coming down like cats and dogs. If you do catch a cold from that wet damp shirt, aiyah more headache. Got to visit the doctor. So better be safe then worry.
Am I like that? Nay.. I like to run in the rain!!!it's so fun!!!

me said...

hmm.. Would like to say something out of my own experience, no offence too.

Indeed men are from mars women are from venus.. But for my case, kinda men are from venus women are from mars.

why?

the incidents you had with ur wife, ive also gone through before.. BUT my boyfriend is the slimlady and i am you, uncle chris.

its kinda funny i felt. hehe.. :)

Chris Sim said...

Hi Etel. Hehehehe... need any help to deport your bf back to mars? :P I guess there're always the exceptions, regardless of genders.

me said...

haha i do shipment at work actually, i should be able to arrange the transport :p

take care uncle chris, uncle vic and uncle lam!

Lam Chun See said...

Etel - I very confused. How can you have incidents like that when u not married?