Friday, June 02, 2006

The Thinker and the Motivator

One is a great motivator; and the other, a great thinker. This is how I like to describe the two fellas I'm currently working under with.

Yes, for the past three years or so, I've had the honour to work with two fantastic leaders - MDC and VT. The former is a great thinker whose leadership has led our team to great height. Cool, collected and extremely down-to-earth, he's a born leader who subscribes to the notion that diplomacy is the key to get things done in the office. I've never seen him crossed (and I hope I never will). I asked him once how he managed to always keep his cool. He told me that if he could get things done by being diplomatic and with a smile, why take the hard approach and make life miserable for everyone? I have high regards for him and am not ashamed to say that he's my role model.

VT, the latter, is a great motivator. Hardly seen without a smile, he's the one who gets things going in our team with his wits and excellent PR skill. Some of my colleagues say that VT is such a nice guy, so nice, in fact, that some people actually doubt his sincerity. You can say he's diplomatic to a fault. But I suppose that's they way VT is. And that's the reason why people find VT ever so endearing.

As leaders, MDC and VT make a dynamic duo. And what a pleasure it is to be working under these two great leaders!

But alas, as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. VT will be deployed to another department comes this Monday where his PR skill and efficiency at work is much needed. Such is the unpredictability in life, especially in my office, where staff movement is extremely volatile. Incidentally, he'll be working in the same department as Victor. Other than this, nothing much has changed. We'll still see VT at work almost everyday. And he would still be a big part of BAGUS during lunchtime. But I, as most of my colleagues, do feel a little blue having lost a good leader to the other department.

How could we let VT go without a good send off? We, almost 31 of us colleagues bought him dinner at Capers at Regent Singapore today. It's our way of saying thanks to him for his years of guidance and stewardship in the team. VT gave a farewell speech, but I wasn't listening, feeling a tinge of sadness in my heart.

VT said he'd be seconded for at least two years. Or did he? Be back two years time, you hear VT??!! Our door is always open to welcome you back.

Category: Office

8 comments:

Victor said...

And you? The writer? LOL.

You are one lucky fellow. I envy you for always having such good bosses.

Chris Sim said...

Not true Victor, there's this "Seagull Manager" whom we remember, but not with fondness, I'm afraid. In case you're wondering, a seagull manager is one who is appointed, makes a mess out of the dept, and then leaves. LOL.

But the lady boss who left us recently was pretty nice. In case you've forgotten, she was also YOUR boss.

Your current boss also good wat. Always extended lunch one. Where to find?

Victor said...

Not to forget, I mostly have my lunch with you together with the rest of Bagus. Therefore, if my boss gives extended lunch time, so does yours. :)

Anonymous said...

hey chris, could u do me a lil' favor? i banned a certain IP address from commenting in my blog. can u try & comment to see if u can? if not, pls feedback to me via my tagboard n i will remove the ban. thx!

Chris Sim said...

Gee Evan, I don't quite understand what u meant but I've posted a comment anyway. (原凉我这个老人家噢!)

Anonymous said...

hi chris, shd u not be able to leave a comment in the comment box, pls do so at the tagboard. thx!

as for the moderation thingy, blogdrive doesnt hv comment moderation, unlike blogspot. but i would prefer the comments not to come thru' totally, so i decided to ban the IP. its so disturbing to read all those hurtful comments *sobs* even someone who claimed to "bloghop from victor's site" came to scold me.

Anonymous said...

oh, u said u don't understand what i meant? like i said, i blocked someone's IP address. but many ppl to tend to share the same IP, and that person happens to share the same as yours (probably due to the same internet company), so if i blocked that particular IP, your msgs won't come thru either. i'm juz doing it for the time being lah. but u can always leave msgs at the tagboard =)

Victor said...

"someone who claimed to "bloghop from victor's site"

Sorry Evan, my fault.