Sunday, May 28, 2006

Waxed, polised and shined. And being ripped off.

The length some low-life would go to, just to con us of our money. It's infuriating and it made me really mad. Mad at the con man. And especially at myself for my naivety and for not reading the fine print. As Victor has aptly said, I'm partly to blame. Victor, you sure know how to rub it in. Aarggh!

Last week, I shelled out $388 for a 1-year "wax-n-polish" package for my car at a car polishing shop located at the Tampinese Mall basement carpark. Throughout the transaction, the salesman kept touting the fact that once I signed up, I could have unlimited, repeat UNLIMITED, wax and polish service for me car. Unbelievable, right? I thought so too, and told myself I would never forgive myself if I let a deal like this slipped through my fingers.

So, without bothering to read the fine prints, I hastily signed up and have my car waxed and polished for the very first time on that very same day.

The next day in the office, I told Victor about it, and urged him to sign up too. See, I'm the sort of guy who likes to share a "good bargain" when I see one, especially to a good pal like Victor. Besides, Victor has told me that he's only had his car polished once since he took possession of his car more than half year ago.

Over the weekend, Victor went down to Century Square (another branch) with the intention to sign up. As he spoke to the salesman, it became apparent to Victor that I might have been conned into signing the package. See, he was told that the $388 price was only the price for the membership, and that member would still need to fork out $48 each time he wants his car polished and waxed. Luckily for him, the salesman who attended to him was upfront about it. But not the one who attended to me.

When Victor told me about it, I almost flipped. I called the Tampinese Branch immediately and spoke to the salesman who served me. True to my expectation, he changed his surname to 赖, claiming that he's told me about the $48 per wax and polish. I refuted him and accused him of using tactics that was 不折手断(unscrupulous) to trick me into signing the contract. He continued to insist that he had told me about the repeat payment, and has the audacity to suggest that perhaps there was a breakdown in communications. I then asked him what that $388 was for. He said it's for the very first polish and wax service. Exasperated, I threatened to call the bank to cancel the payment I've made via credit card. He asked me not and, his voice softening, offered to compensate me by giving my car a thorough leather-care service which he claimed was worth about $100.

It's unbelievable the length some unscrupulous and unethical vendors and sales staff would go to just squeeze money out of you. Yes, it's true I didn't read the fine print. On close inspection of the receipt, there was this $48 clearly written on it (see pic), though it was not adequately explained what this amount was for on the receipt. But I reckon if only I've bothered to really scrutinize that receipt, I would have asked that man what this $48 was for, and perhaps I wouldn't have been tearing my hair out, blogging about this now!



Victors always says, Caveat Emptor (buyers beware). This phrase still rings as true as ever.

Darn! Did I scan the company's name into that pic as well? What a heck. Dear car-owners, avoid it by ALL means. Like the plague.

Category: Personal

11 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Thanks for the warning. But must caution you not to play too hardball with these guys. They mostly do not look like the 'meek type', if you know what I mean.

Victor said...

What Chun See means is that they look fiercer than you and bigger sized (read taller) too, LOL.

Take it positively as having paid to learn a lesson lor. It's a blessing in disguise that you did not fall prey to that guy's persuasion for you to sign up for the 3-year contract. If not, lagi ai wan (regret).

Anonymous said...

hey chris, i sympathize with u really...in fact, i've got countless similar experiences. ok maybe not countless, juz a handful. the singnet bb contract was one of them. i guess we juz gotta b careful...cant simply take their words for it. sales ppl nowadays hv no conscience at all. but i think its quite stupid lor. pay $388 is only for the membership?? whats the price difference for non-members then? skali members pay $48 for wax & polish, non-members only pay a few bucks more...then its even not worth lor.

maybe can complain to their boss, or worse come to worst, CASE?

Chris Sim said...

Victor, at time like this, I think a six-footer like you would stand up for a dear friend right? You know where to find the con-men. I knew I can ALWAYS count on you.

Even, ya I read about your brush with Singnet. Sad to say, I've no regards for CASE. It's just a toothless tiger. Besides I think CASE would not handle anything that's less than $500. For that, I must go to the small-claim tribunal. Sigh. Too much of a hassle. Take it as a lesson learned lor like Victor said.

Anonymous said...

yup chris. 以后小心就是了。

Victor said...

Chun See, as I told Chris in the office, I also polished my car this week - $40 for a 2-hour back-breaking job. It was done by a 60-year old strong and hearty man who looks like he's only 50. He's quite thorough in his job and takes pride in his work. What's more, he will come to your place to polish the car (and he doesn't even drive). Now only left to see how long the shine will last. If you need his contact, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Aiyoo. You must be fuming mad for days, saw you spelt "Tampines" wrongly (as Tampinese), then "evan" (as even). I thought it was a good deal, based on what you told me initially. So what's your next move? Sign up with Autoglym?

Vic - I've got the ah pek to polish my car once too. Picked him up from opposite Haw Par Villa and he polished my car in the basement carpark. Maybe we can arrange for a car "mass polishing"? Can ask for group discount!

Chris Sim said...

vic - you rubba rubba...

alex - that deal I told you was not the one that I've taken up. While I'm a little pissed with the sales tactic, come to think of it, the deal is really not as bad as it seems lah. Seriously, you must look at the end product. And at this point in time, I'm not impressed with what I saw in Victor's car. He can blame it on the overnight rain for all he wants, but there's no shine and I didn't feel the smoothness that comes with a newly waxed and polished car. You should have seen my car! As the saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. 一分钱一分货 mah.

Victor said...

Alex, are we talking about the same old man? You seem to be very sure about it. (BTW, his surname is Lim.) Polishing in the basement car park of our office ah? Are you sure that the management will take kindly to this?

Chris, I have neglected my car for the past 5 months. So much so that there are actually water marks which have formed on the paintwork. Such stains are very hard to remove. No fault of that old man (or this one).

Anonymous said...

Chris - The ah-peh car polish is comparable to those big players, just only difference is that he uses man-power instead of electrical power. Of course don't expect him to vacuum your car, and condition the leather. But he uses top-grade products (I swear by it) and takes pride in his work. The polish he uses is actually a polish sealant. I'd gladly pay to let him work on my baby the whole day if I have the molla!

Vic - Yeah, Mr Lim he is. I've washed my car (from the water point further down) and he did the rest. Darn, do I have to be so detailed!? Mr Lim wasn't too comfortable with it initially as he had bad experiences with the management of basement carparks. Talk about poor drainage design.

Chris Sim said...

No Alex, Car International does it all with hands. Not machine. This I'm sure. BTW, that Mr Lim formerly worked for Car International. At least that was what he told Victor. So it's the case of "biting the hands that fed you".