Sunday, May 07, 2006

What's for dinner, Papa?


I don't know how it happened. Ever since my mum announced that she was getting old and too tired to cook us dinner (that was way before she had her by-pass), I've been given the uncoveted task of buying dinner for my wife and kids. This duty was not assigned to me by the Slim Lady. It just happened.

My mum used to complain that cooking dinner always gave her headache. Sometimes she simply didn't know what to prepare for so many people, each with taste buds of their own. My sister doesn't take pork, unless it's bak kwa (isn't that a joke?) My kids hardly eat any greens. That Slim Lady of mine survives only on Hor Fan, Kway Teow dry, and avoids anything that's yellow in colour like noodle or mee pok.

Home-cooked meal is always the best and most healthy. Unfortunately, how many of us have that luxury of eating home-cooked meals everyday? My wife and I hardly cook, for we're both usually spent after a day in the office. On the rare occasions that we do, it's usually on weekend. Most days, we tah pau dinner home.

Since I started buying dinner for my family, I've realised, to my chagrin, that buying dinner, not just cooking, can also be a cause of headache. When I ask my family what they would like for dinner, I get response like "anything". And they complain when I buy food they that don't like. The safe bet for the kids are chicken rice, western food and fast-food, especially KFC. For the Slim Lady, it's dry kway teow or hor fan. Like it or not, these oily and unhealthy food has become the staple for my family, and I've decided that it's time for some drastic actions to make them eat healthy.

So sometimes, I'll just buy what I feel is best for them, WITHOUT asking them. Usually, it's rice with mixed veggies and some meat. They continue to complain, including the Slim Lady, and pass comments like "next time don't buy me rice. I've eaten rice for lunch!" I used to retort, "you know how difficult it is to buy dinner for you guys? Next time, YOU buy!". Now, my usual response is, "You have two choices for dinner - Take it or Leave it."

What else could they do? They will eat when they get hungry. Hehehehe (evil laugh).

Maybe I'll have that pic above enlarged and hung it in my dinning room. LOL.

Category: Musings

6 comments:

Victor said...

I agree. We never appreciate mum's cooking until she stops doing so. And children never appreciate dad buying food home for them until he stops doing so. Speaking from experience and experiencing.

fr said...

Haha, doesn't this apply to other things as well? our jobs until we don't have one.... and as we have often been reminded - the peace and racial harmory....

Anonymous said...

i like this post, very funny!!!!!!

iml said...

LOL pardon me, but you do have my sympathy. This is one of the main reason why I quit my job long ago. I used to tingkat but it was a disaster. Eating out means eating at odd hours to beat the queque and dirty pile up tables. I really don't need this. I am not at the mercy of others to fill my tummy!!
Now on a busy day, it's a one pot meal i.e. a chicken stew and a salad. Slow cooker and a reliable timer comes in real handy if you are working.

Chris Sim said...

Vic and Frannxi - I've always appreciated my mum's cooking. Mum's always the world's greatest cook. Everyone feels the same about their mum. But I can't say the same about the Slim Lady, though. My kids prefer my cooking to hers. Even I myself prefer mine, too. LOL.

Yeah... we always take things for granted, don't we? And then kicked ourselves for not appreciating them until they're gone ....

Lling - Chicken Stew, yep.. u just dump the carrots, potatoes, chickens, onions and all into the slow cooker, and after 2 or 3 hours... viola! dinner is served! I cook that sometimes and my big boy loves it. Speaking of tingkat. We tried that to. The food is not very appetising, though....

Thanks Evan. Nice to hear from you again. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a muslim. Like your sis, i don't like pork. Other than BBQ pork, bak kut teh, and lor bak, the normal way of cooking still can't mask the weird smell of pork.

Another alternative way, maybe plan the menu for the entire week?
Give your kids some choices like MCQs, they can choose which days for junk food, but the other days it's healthy greens, etc for balanced diet. :)