Friday, May 19, 2006

That "top-of-the-world" feeling

This time last year, I wrote about promotion in my office and how happy we were when VT got his promotion.

It's frightening how time flies. Well, it's that time of the year again.

Happiness. Resentment. Jealousy. Smugness. Anger. These are emotions that we mere mortals are capable of at one time or another. And these are the emotions that will be played out in full force in the days ahead, when the HR dept circulates the promotion list in our email.

We'll see lots of happy and smiling faces, looking as pleased as punch. And some with a certain degree of smugness, as if to say, "see? I told you I'm good."

There will be tears of joy, and of frustration. A few others will "march" into the bosses' office and demand for an "explanation". And yet others will lie low, resigned and hurt. Lots of questions will be asked; and gossips will fly across the office premises. There would be some awkward moments among colleagues, especially to those who are more senior and was passed over for a promotion.

The competition has been intense and stiff, especially with a structure like me company's. Life is never fair. And like it or not, when it comes to promotion, luck plays an integral role.

Well, happily for me, my boss has just informed me that I've been promoted (those promoted always get first-hand knowledge before the official email is sent out). I'm lucky, I guess, for I work for a boss who is impartial and kind, and who believes in "developing his men". I've always felt that the ability to do so is the mark of a true leader.

I'm elated, of course, about my promotion. For getting a promotion means getting a pay increment. That means more money "to make ends meet" in a society that's getting more and more expensive by the day. A little more money sure goes a long way.

Of course, money is not the "for-all-end-all". A promotion means more than just that. More importantly, a promotion is a recognition from our boss for our work performance. It's an acknowledgment, an appreciation for our commitment and for a job well done. It is also about self-esteem.

Of course, the flip side of getting a promotion is more responsibilities, more work, more stress, and perhaps less time for the family.

I'm feeling "top-of-the-world" now. The euphoria will last. There'll be promotion treats galore in the office when the official namelist is finally announced. It's a culture that has been ingrained into us in my office. But all's fair, I suppose. My treat this year, and next year, it's yours.

Category: Office

12 comments:

Victor said...

"Happiness. Resentment. Jealousy. Smugness. Anger." You forgot to mention "Indifference. Resignation (acceptance that is, not resigning). Cynicism. Dejection."

Please don't be mistaken, I am not describing my feelings here. On the contrary, I am quite contented where I am. I am also very happy for you because I can see that have worked really hard and truly deserved the promotion.

And although I do have the acceptance (for certain events that happen or do not happen), by being the first to comment on this post, it doesn't mean that I accept your last statement - "My treat this year, and next year, it's yours". The following statement should have been more accurate for most people - "My treat this year, and next year, it could be yours. If not, there's always the next and the next and the next, and so on."

My heartiest congratulations to you once again. I am waiting to be bribed a sumptuous lunch again, hee.

fr said...

It shows that your good work is appreciated.

So, Chris, Congratulations!

Lam Chun See said...

Congratulations.

I am so glad I don't have to do those anymore - performance appraisals.

me said...

congrats uncle chris!

and grats to uncle vic too.. though i didnt know you then..

My dad isnt doing very well though.. apparently his boss "cheated" him, tried to make him stay because he is the best sales person... but refused to give him the pay and recognition he deserved. He ages so much, but I have nothing to offer him, except to earn more money for him... for the family.

enough of myself. once again, grats :)

Victor said...

Hi Elaine,

Why "grats to uncle vic too"? I didn't get my promotion you know. Can't you detect the very obvious bitterness in the 1st para of my comments above? My last one was so long ago that I can barely remember... oh yes, it was 8 years ago. :)

Take good care of your dad and show him that you love him. I think that's more important to him now than that promo.

Chris - This is off-topic but toycon just posted a blog about Club Street on yesterda.sg. You might want to drop by to relive some old memories of the street where you lived as a kid.

Chris Sim said...

Thanks guys and Elaine for the congrats.

Chun See - having to appraise your staff is a real headache huh? My boss spends months doing appraisal for subordinates working under him. He voiced his weariness once to me and I told him: "well, it's a full time job". Not exactly something I like to do myself. Hee!

Elaine - Uncle vic is already a consultant in our company. He does not need a promotion lah.

Vic - Aiyho, that post on Club Street is such an anti-climax. Just a mural and that's it? Sigh.

iml said...

!!!Congratulation!!!

me said...

huh.

got position in ur company for me or not?

=x

Anonymous said...

So when's my treat? :)~

Chris Sim said...

Thanks Iling.

Elaine, I won't advise dragging you into the drudgery pit. My job very boring one :P

Alex, sure. Just drop me a mail when you're in my office. My treat and I'll drive.

Victor said...

Elaine, it takes at least 5 years to get a promo in our company (if you are just an 'above average' worker and not an outstanding one). Do you have the patience?

Chris, I don't care much about appointment titles, 'cos you can call any position by fanciful names. It is what the job entails and how much you are paid that matters.

You saw just the mural of Club St? Aiyoh, you got to click on "read on" to read the whole post lah. I am very surprised at that comment coming from a very IT-illiterate you, tsk, tsk, tsk.

me said...

eh my company very small uncle vic, no chance to promote at all :P