Monday, May 01, 2006

我们这里是新加坡 (This is Singapore)

This is a song by local singer/composer 梁文福. The song waxes lyrical on Singapore, on how she's gone through World War II in 1941, on the migrants uprooting from around the globe to arrive at Singapore and on their decision to make Singapore their home. The song is about being born in "Tekka", about living in 1-room-1-hall HDB flats. It's about the kids of yesteryears, their childhood and growing up years, and their school days in old Singapore. Each time I listen to this song, it never fails to evoke nostalgia and memories of yesteryears. And what better time to give this song a spin than during this election time, when emotions run high as manifested in the general public (not to mentioned the blogosphere)?

There's a verse that says, "This is Singapore. We used to have nothing, but now at last, we have achieved some accomplishments; not much but we do treasure them". Indeed, there's much to thank and be grateful for. And if that came across as sounding rather contrived, I make no apologies for it. How often do you hear friends who have been overseas and upon their return, proclaimed, "Singapore is still the best"?

Go on, turn on the speakers and listen to the lyrics of the songs. Part of the song is in dialects and I do apologise if the translation is not as accurate as it should be.

我们这里是新加坡
我阿嗲在海山街住过
1941 年轰炸机近过
一枚炸弹在街头降落

我们这里是新加坡
我阿妈在Tekka 生我
虽然那时后霸王车很多
她却依然骑单车去工作

我们这里是新加坡
我的童年在女皇镇过
一房半厅的组屋背后小小的林子里,曾经是孩子们的窝

我们这里是新加坡
我的小学从前在小坡
平时不读书考试之前跑到四马路的庙前说声啊弭陀佛

我们这里是新加坡
我们都曾一无所有过
现在拥有的不算什么
但是比别人珍惜的多

我们这里是新加坡
我表兄金山会来啰
小小麻雀街竹枝
还是街回屋子好得多


Category: Gahman

9 comments:

Victor said...

Wow, I did a double take when I found your 2nd post of the weekend at 1 o'clock this morning. So I did a double and you did two too this week. Telepathy again? Or mere coincidence?

Hey your this post is extremely good stuff for yesterday.sg although I cannot say that it is an original post. However, I am quite sure that the accompanying MP3 song is original stuff. Hence be very careful about that, Chris. The IPR (Intelligent and Properly Ride) people may come knocking on your door soon to demand that $1000 for taking them for a free ride. Hehe.

fr said...

Hi, where can you find this song?

Chris Sim said...

Hi frannxis, you should be able to hear the song once the page on my blog is loaded. Can you?

Or do you mean where to buy the CD? Any good CD shops will have it.

Or do you mean to ask where you could download the song from the internet? No Frannix, this is against the law and VERY illegal leh. LOL.

fr said...

Ya I'm referring to CD. I suppose it is in one of the mandarin songs cD.

Chris Sim said...

You could get the CD from Popular CD-Rama at $18.90. It comprises 2 CDs.

Anonymous said...

Yo Chris, didn't know we are from the same era (oh no!). I have the CD by Wen Foo, it was marketed as a single CD back then. The song that really moved me from the album was literally translated as "I walk from the east shore to the west". Wen Foo wrote about the progress of the nation, disappearing trades, and the sacraficed landmarks. Hearing the song makes me miss the National Theatre.

Frannxis: The CD should still be available in CD shops, let me know if you need help. :)

fr said...

Thank you, Chris and Alex. I'll go and see.

Chris Sim said...

Hello Alex. I believed 文福 is about my age. Believe it or not, he was my company mate back in 1983 when I was serving my NS. Same company, but different platoon, so didn't know him well. He's one of the pioneer of 新摇 craze back in the late 70s and 80s, I think. These days, I think he only composes songs. Not much news about him really.

One of the gals in the office access my blog and complained that the song is really "annoying". She's a baba, she hasn't a clue as to what he's singing. Ha. But I guess I'll have to remove the song soon. You can only hear the song for so long before it gets tiresome. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, IIRC wen foo was a writer/poet before he ventured into music. I was in Sec sch or JC back then, so should be in the 80s.

Some of his songs are sung in an unique talking/narrative style, so not everyone appreciates it. Try reading his books instead. :)