Saturday, April 29, 2006

Play time for our politicians

There's simply no running away from news on GE 2006. It's in the paper, on the TV and in the internet. Political flyers have been left at my doorsteps. Everywhere I turn, I see photographs of candidates, both the PAP and the oppositions, their smiles beaming on the posters hanging on almost every lamp post by the side of the road from where I live.

And then there is that little lorry with loud speakers on its back, blasting away PAP propaganda in our four official languages. I had almost forgotten about its existence, having voted only twice (or was it once?) in all of my 40 odd years. But I saw it again yesterday and today in Simei where I live. It just went back and forth, back and forth like a broken toy on the road in front of my block. There was no waving politician on board. In fact, there was no soul on board, other than the driver, the loud speakers and two flapping PAP flags. How impersonal, I'd thought. What was worse was that I couldn't even make out the message that was being blasted. It was so loud it sounded rather muffled.

Like Chun See, I'm not much into politics. GE time is just full of wayang and rhetoric. I told my wife to avoid eating out at the hawker centres and the coffee shops this week. Why? To avoid running into politicians and their entourage making their rounds, shaking hands and making small talk. I want no part of it. Come on, why do these politicians suddenly appear only when GE is near? Where were they when you need to talk to them? Granted, not every MP is like that. The then MP for Simei, Mr David Lim, used to show up at the estate coffee shops, talking and mixing with residents, young and old. I remember I had just shifted to Simei, and it was not even election time. He came across as affable and sincere. Then he resigned and Mr Lee Yock Suan took over. The latter was inactive. The difference between the two men was stark.

No government in the world is perfect, lest of all Singapore. Everyone of us has our beef with the gahmen, including me. But this notwithstanding, I feel that Singapore would not be where she is today, without the PAP, and credit must be accorded to our fore father MM Lee and the other leaders around his time for their foresight and courage in steering Singapore from a 3rd world country to a 1st worth country within a span of 3 decades. I'm happy to say that the PAP has at least put a "human face" in the PAP. This came about when SM Goh adopted a "consultative style" of governance when he was the Prime Minister. Happyily, PM Lee has also appeared to be rather warm and approachable, if the dialogue he has with fellow Singaporeans on national TV is any indication.

Looking at the reports on the various rallies, it seems that the LUP (Lift Upgrading Programmes) is fore most in the mind of many heatlanders living in older and mature HDB estates. The PAP candidates have promised them lifts to stop at every floor if the residents vote for them. I'm not exactly comfortable with this dangling of carrots by the ruling party to gain votes. After all, opposition and the ruling party, are we not ALL Singaporeans? Why should the opposition constituencies be made to suffer? And what about that group of people in these constituencies that support the PAP?

Having said that, I think it's necessary to have an opposition to keep the PAP in check. Unfortunately, the opposition parties in Singapore are in such a sad state of affair. With the exception of Chiam See Tong, the characters of most other opposition figures leave much to be desired. Of course, the man of the moment must surely goes to the Workers' Party's Mr James Gomez who allegedly tried to caste doubt on the integrity of the Election Department. He's issued an apology which the PAP has said lacks sincerity. Well, politic, as they say, is a dirty game. We're mere audience in this game played out by the big boys. Let the wayang begin ...

Category: Gahman

6 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Everything is peaceful and quiet here. If not for the media and intenet, you won't know that there's election coming.

I disagree with many of your points; except maybe the part about what a great job the PAP had done for Spore material-wise (and me being not much into poliitcs)

I especially do not agree with the part about consultative style. Have u forgotten the high-handed manner in which GCT dealt with criticsm from the lady author?

Chris Sim said...

Oh, Catherine Lim's brush with Ah Goh over some of her political comments? I remember it all right. Haven't they both kissed and made up?

Yes, Chun See, I suppose when it comes to politics, opinions differ. From what used to be an "authoritarian" rule (at least that's perception of many political observers) to the current more "liberal-style" rule, I do think that the ruling party has now come of age. Forums with PM and MM. Who would have thought that was possible 10 years ago?

fr said...

Chris, the inactive part i assume you refer to the coffee shops visits only and not other areas.

Victor said...

Wah you wrote a post about the elections while I was busy doing the same. Somemore also talked about Mr James Gomez, that 'forgettable' candidate. Maybe we have telepathy hor? Sorry that I discovered your new post only now.

Like Chun See, I have some disagreements with your post. First, you asked where was your MP when you needed him. Don't you know that the MPs hold weekly meet-the-people sessions? It shows how good a life you have now under your PAP MP(s) - you don't have a need to ask them for help.

Second, Mr Chiam is not the only credible opposition MP. Mr Low is the (only) other one. He even received praises from our then PM for being a good opposition MP.

Chris Sim said...

Frannxis - That's the crux of the problem. The man in the street don't give a hoot about what other jobs Mr Lee has even if he used to be the Minister for education, and even if he's done wonders for our education system (did he?). They want to see the MP making their rounds around the neigbhourhood, and not just during election time.

Victor - I know about the meet-the people-sessions lah. It's not just that. I mean, come on, why must it be only at "meet-the-people-sessions" that we get to interact with our MP? My take is that the MP in any constituency has to walk the ground to establish that rapport with people in his constitueny. Sometimes, they need to come to us; instead of the other way. Mr David Lim did that. Sadly, most of the MP don't. And if they do, it's only during GE time.

Lam Chun See said...

My friend in Jurong also has good things to say about Tharman. Fact is, I am not resident of Jurong, yet I shook hands with him not once, but twice at Taman Jurong Point. I mean its good PR. It gives impression that you are accessible and reach out to the public before problems arise, and public has to queue up to look for you. Now, election time, he can 'shake legs'.

As for Bt Timah - sigh. Our MP does not need to bother to think about PR. He can afford to talk like Victor. "Don't you know that the MPs hold weekly meet-the-people sessions? It shows how good a life you have now under your PAP MP(s) - you don't have a need to ask them for help."