Friday, April 14, 2006

爸 爸 哭 了

It's 清明节 or Qingming Festival. To us Chinese, this is the time for the young and old to come before their ancestors, sweep the tombs or the niches in the temple, and offer food to the ancestors. It's a yearly tradition and the rites are important especially to the elderly.

I don't really bother much about such matters for I've always considered myself a Christian. Ok, perhaps I'm not really a practicing Christian, and I'm not proud of this fact. But that's for another post, another time.

My mum has never troubled me to fetch her to the temples, knowing how I feel about such things. But this year, she did, and only because my Dad has problem walking far. They used to take a cab, but because the temple is located in a private residential belt, flanked by terrace houses on both side of the road, they have problem hailing a cab back, unless they walk a distance to the main road.

Having alighted my parents at the entrance of the temple, I drove on looking for a parking space. When I returned, my dad was standing at the entrance, and with tears brimming in his eyes, he told me that was where the urns of my paternal great-grandmother, her brother, both my maternal grandparents urns are being kept. He went on to tell me that he was not sure if he would be able to pay respect to the ancestors next year. Putting my arm around him, I told Dad not to think so much and that he would live past 90.

I remember my maternal grandma, who passed away more than two decades ago. Unfortunately, I have no recollection on my great-grandma, much less memories of her brother, and have very faint memories of my granddad. So perhaps I'm quite devoid of any feelings towards them, unlike my dad.

I love my Dad. The only time I saw him cry was when my grandma was at her deathbed. But I wasn't quite prepared for his display of grieves today. I think he's also worried for my mum's operation next week.

Category: Personal

4 comments:

Victor said...

Wah Chris, you beat me to it this time. I was also in a midst of writing a post on Qing Ming Festival. But mine I think is more funny (as always) and not quite as solemn as yours. After reading yours, it makes me rethink about how I write mine. Watch for it. BTW, you did the right thing by showing your dad that you love him and care about him. You are a filial son and I am sure you dad and mum are very proud of you.

Chris Sim said...

Careful Victor, for there's nothing "funny" about Qing Ming Festival.

Lam Chun See said...

Haha, I beat the both of you by a tiny bit. You think we got telepathy maybe?

Chris Sim said...

Give me some credit leh Chun See. I mentioned qingming first leh, no doubt I choose to emphasis more on the sentiments of my Dad, for I have never been to a cementary to do what you laudies have done.

Check your publish time and date. LOL.