Monday, April 17, 2006

The fear of mortality

If, and when my turn comes, I'm not sure if I have the courage to face what my mum's going through right now. As it is, she's scheduled to undergo a by-pass surgery tomorrow morning. I brought her to the hospital today and she's made to go through an endless round of pre-admission test to make sure she's fit for the operation tomorrow.

You can say my mum is a walking time bomb. Her arteries are 95% blocked. She could suffer a heart attack any time. So the sooner she has the operation, the better in keeping the disease at bay.

We spent much time trying to reassure my mum everything's going to be ok. She's always been afraid of hospital, and blood. We know she's scared to bits, and deep down inside, so are we, me and my siblings. But this operation is something that my mum, and us, have to go through together.

The hospital is such a depressing place to be, and like it or not, that's the place we gonna be as we grow old, one time or the other. The one that she's staying, SGH is really in need of some major overhaul. The false ceilings are all dirty and worn-out and the hospital looks as if it's in need of a new coat of paint which is currently a dreary light green. Why can't they paint the room a cheery pink? Studies have shown that colours do have an effect on the mood of the patients and how speedy they recover from their illnesses.

Please do keep my mum in your prayer.

Category: Personal

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i will be praying for yr mum's op & recovery...trust in the Lord. He is our healer! Will also be partaking the Holy Communion on your behalf. don't think that small crumb of bread and juice doesnt do much. it works WONDERS!

my grandma's heart's got prob too. in fact, on many occasions it stopped for 3 seconds sometime. so not too long ago (on CNY eve 2b precise), she went to install the pacemaker in her heart. so we spent our CNY with her in the hospital. the worse thing is, it wasnt installed properly so she had to go bk to operate the 2nd ime round.

dirty green walls aside, SGH might b a better place. my grandma was in NUH and i was told that they use alot of inexperienced housemen (since all come from NUS medical faculty), and they're notorious for the careless mistakes they make (such as this one on my grandma), probably leaving the instruments in the body, who knows.

yr mum will be ok. i know.

iml said...

As I write, your mum is probably in the OT. I am sure your mum is in good hands. Stay positive and things will go your way.

Victor said...

Chris, although I can't pray for your mum the way Evan can, I do sincerely wish your mum a speedy recovery. This is a time when we should put our, I mean, your family's differences aside and rally together for each other's support. Your mum will need it as much as all of you do.

Lam Chun See said...

When my parents were both ill, my siblings and I went to TTSH regularly. We saw the old hospital being transformed.

It is indeed a blessing to have filial children

Such coincidence. Over at my site, Simon and I are discussing filial piety.

fr said...

Be optimistic, the operation will be a success.