Sunday, April 09, 2006

A cuppa a day ...



First, a little brain-teaser. Can you spot a little man in the sea of coffee beans?

According to the "experts" (read doctors), if you spot the man within 3 seconds and 1 minute, your right half of the brain is developed. If you spot him within 1 minute and 3 minutes, the right sight of your brain is functioning slowly and you need to eat more protein.

Woes to you if it takes you more than 3 minutes to find that little man, for the right half your brain is a mess. You are advised to look for more such exercises to make that part of the brain stronger.

Ok, I confess - it took me more than a minute to figure out that little fella. But I have reasons to believe this brain-teaser is flawed. It just did not add up. Why do I say so?

Well, we all know that the right side of our brain has a lot to do with how creative we are. And the truth is, in my circle of friends as far as BAGUS is concerned, there's none as creative as me. Since young, I am good with my hands. In school, I did very well in Arts. During courtship, I made personalized cards, wrote love poems for my Slim Lady who, quite the opposite, ALWAYS bought me cards off the shelves. At home, I'm usually the person who does up the house, buying cushions and doing the furnishing to make the home cozy. Comes festive time, be it Christmas or the Chinese New Year, I'm the one who put up all the decorations. Oh, my creativity is not confined to my home. At work, I think up "creative" ways to solve problems, and write "creative" e-mails to my bosses and fellow colleagues.

So how could I have taken more than a minute to solve the puzzle???

"Dr" Victor who passed the brain-teaser with "flying-colour", said I should eat a bag of coffee beans to increase my protein intake. Victor really knew how to make my toes laughed. Protein from a bag of coffee beans? I told Victor perhaps he needed the protein more than I, and suggested a source of protein that is "unprintable" here. I have no choice but to deduce that what transpired between Victor and the brain-teaser was nothing more than a fluke.

But what do I know? I just read an article that extols praises on the benefits of caffeine. It claims that caffeine acts as an antioxidant that rids our boides of free radicals. Caffeine also helps to shield us against heart disease and cancer. Indeed, a study done in the US has linked coffee consumption to a reduced risk of colon and liver cancer, Type 2 diabetes and Parkinson's disease. But it adds that one should drink not more than 2 cups daily. Too much of a good thing, as we know, is bad, unless the thing in question is $$$. LOL.

But we can never be sure what the experts, the doctors and the scientists say. They are back-flippers, if you know what I mean, quite known to be "fickle-minded" when it comes to what is good and not good for us mere mortals.

So Victor, I'm not sure about protein, but how about a cuppa to keep us all free of diseases?

Category: Musings

9 comments:

me said...

i think im dead.

i cant spot even after 5 mins staring at it.

i think what i need is....

sleep.

me said...

i saw it already.. after my bf tells me.

i was looking for a little man's WHOLE BODY LEY.

lol.

Lam Chun See said...

1) Don't worry Etel. I spotted him in less than a min. and I know for sure I am not creative.

2) Too much coffee is no bagus. Coffee is a diuretic - makes you lose water. People then get thirsty and drink even more to quench their thirst. They become dehydrated and bad for health.

Go to www.watercure.com for more info.

Victor said...

I am a moderate drinker of coffee. Usually one cuppa in the morning, sometimes none at all. And usually one cup of tea after lunch. That's about it. So far so good. No signs of losing my mental faculty yet. Neither am I creative (this one I don't want to fight with Chris over it).

fr said...

i think i need to overhaul my right brain - i can't see any man....

hee..hee..joking only, took more than a minutes of close scrutiny to see the little idiot.

iml said...

Saw it but what a startle it gave me!!

Anonymous said...

Hey pal, there is no evidence that this is a reliable test on "brain development", refer to this link, http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/mancoffee.htm

Anyway where's the man? I'm seeing stars after staring at the pic for an hour!

Chris Sim said...

You have to try harder Alex. Come on, you've always shown your creative side in the office. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Saw a little head, but not a man.. :(