Saturday, April 08, 2006

Of old-age, sickness and destitute

When it rains, it pours. This just about sums up what's going on in my life right now.

The past weeks, I've been busy hunting for a nursing home for my father-in-law. In his mid-60s, I don't exactly consider him a destitute. The home is a last resort that ensures 24-hour care for the Slim Lady's father who is on tube-feeding after having suffered a stroke years ago. That was a difficult and painful decision, chosen and unanimously agreed upon by the Slim Lady and her family. Still, my father-in-law is a lucky man. He has a 2nd wife who goes to the home to take care of him almost everyday. Other old folks are known to have been dumped in the home by their children who hardly make visit thereafter.

Then my mum is scheduled for an open-heart surgery sometime this month. She's been complaining of chest pain and difficulty in breathing for the last few months. A series of test at the hospital confirmed our worst fear. The three main arteries of her heart are 95% blocked, no doubt due to diabetic, and largely, smoking which she had picked up when she was in her teen.

My dad is suffering from hernia, among other ailments. But surgery has been ruled out because he refuses to give up smoking which causes his persistent cough. The doctor has told us that as long as my dad is coughing, there's no point going through the surgery. Coughing exerts the muscles in our stomach and that will cause a relapse of the hernia. My dad just lets it be.

There's a Chinese saying that goes, "家有一老,如有一宝" (An oldie is like a treasure in your home). I agree whole-heartedly. Sometimes, we do not treasure what we have in our midst, until it's too late.

Category: Personal

3 comments:

Victor said...

Yeah Chris, finally a post singing praises for the laudies. Talking about laudies, yesterday I met Chun See and 11 others from the MRBlog. Chun See said he never expected me to be so erm... big sized. He also asked me if you were tall. I quoted one of my descriptions of you - 'You look tall... when sitting down.' Haha.

Next, Chun See said, 'Now the person I want to meet is Chris.' So how? Don't wait till it's too late, okay.

Chris Sim said...

You and your mouth ah Victor. What "don't wait till too late?" Haven't you read Chun See's latest post? He wrote "we'll meet again on that beatuful shore". So no problem lah.

BTW, you're not big-size. Taller than me a bit only what. Big deal.

Lam Chun See said...

Chris, what Victor left out was that I somewhere expected him to be quite short and you tall (don't ask me why)