Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Performance bonus - a bane, or truly a bonus?


Emotions ran high in the office today.

The on-line salary system crashed in the morning. At least 90% of my co-workers were trying to log on to check if they had got what was on the minds of many of us - performance bonus (PB).

I'll tell you why this is important. It's an indication of where you rank among your peers in the office. It's a recognition from your boss for a job well done. More importantly, it's a pre-indication of what's to follow very shortly - the annual promotion exercise. So you can see, many of us were anxious to find out how much PB we got, or nothing at all.

The performance bonus was implemented years ago to reward employees who had proven themselves in their work. It serves to give a "pat" on the shoulders of these employees and to encourage them to continue their good job. It also aims to encourage the under-performer to work hard. I was never told of the proper guide-lines for the PB and how it is awarded; but here's my interpretation:

1. You get a performance bonus equivalent to one month's salary if you have performed more than 100% of your job scope.

2. You get half a month's equivalent if you perform what is just expected of you. Meaning, you gave only 100%, nothing more, nothing less.

3. You get 3/4 if your work is satisfactory.

4. You get zero if you under-perform.

How's that for motivation? I used to believe in the PB system, until recently. You see, the system works just fine, if every employee were to keep the amount they get strictly private and confidential. However, human as we are, many of us can't help comparing, and many ended up disgruntled and unhappy. You can imagine how the scenario is like:

Employee A: What? That bugger got 100%??!!! What did he do? Everyday read newspaper, walk here walk there, still can get 100% ahh? Screwed up management....
Employee B: Yalor.. NB.... I only get half month. Did all the dirty work, still like that. This system sucks. From now on, I'll contribute only 50%. And no more OT!!

Ironic, isn't it? See how a system that was put in place to encourage employees to perform better could also backfire, and gives rise to disgruntled employees and much ill feeling in the office. So, I'm not exactly sure if dishing out PB is a good thing.

No, in case you're wondering, I'm not one of the disgruntled employees. I'm happy for what I got, so happy that I offered to buy Victor lunch which he declined politely. Good thing he did, or he has to buy me lunch too. LOL.

Category: Office

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

u r referring to perfomance bonus and not the progress package given by govt?

Chris Sim said...

Aduh my dear Evan, govt where got give us "performance bonus" one? Baby bonus have lah. U got chance. My wife and I don't have already :(( Correction - not say don't want, we close shop already, by choice. Hee.

You company got or not? PB?

Anonymous said...

So pal, how much of PB did you get?

me said...

*off topic*

Uncle chris, i love the music piece on ur blog... actually made mi tear.

mind telling mi the title?

Victor said...

Chris, your last paragraph seems to imply that I got a PB rate at least as good as yours, if not better. Don't remember telling you that leh.

Chris Sim said...

Hi Etel, that piece of music is called "Enchantment" by a talented new age artiste known as Chris Spheeris. The one that's playing on my blog is a piano version by an equally talented pianist called George Skaroulis. It's from his album "Adagio", comprising all Chris Spheeris' compositions. Beautiful, isn't it?

Chris Sim said...

Alex, u must be joking asking me a question like that here. Other colleagues are also reading my blog. U want them to compare is it? Huh?

You leh? Hahahah.. never practise what I breached hor? LOL.

Anonymous said...

Hmmn... Aiya, have been getting base rate for years, nothing to shout about!

Actually there's no point comparing PB amounts. Could shorten your life by a few years :(

Lam Chun See said...

When I was working in govt, only have 13th month. No such thing as PB. After I left, everything changed - sigh. Luckily my wife still in civil service.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See, you don't give your staff PB ah? The govt leads by example. You and other employers alike should follow suit. But then again, it may not necessarily be a good thing, if the content in my post is any indication. Hee!

I'm curious as a cat. Which ministry were you working at? U look so fiece (sorry but I'm referring to your avatar. Victor assured me that you look very amicable in person when he saw you in Sentosa), definitely could not have survived if you were in the same profession as your wife. Tell us leh. Ha!

Lam Chun See said...

I thot I mentioned several times that I used to work in NPB. Anyway, in my co. website, my biodata all there. But now undergoing amendment.

My co. very very small. Mostly associates working on a contract (project-by-project) basis.