Friday, March 24, 2006

Popiah feast at Evan's Chris'

I've We've had enough of waiting. How long is a man supposed to wait, before he starts tearing his hair out in frustration? How soon can the man be served his food, before he perishes in hunger?

Whatever happened to the popiah feast my blogosphere friend Evan was supposed to organise? I can understand Evan's concern in hesitating to meet Victor and Chun See, despite Victor's offer to get the popiah skin on his account. After all, mummy always warns little girls about the danger of meeting strangers in the Internet. Is Evan worried that Victor or Chun See might turn out to be wolves in sheep clothing? Hey Evan, I'm certainly no wolf, ok? And I'll come to your rescue.

I guess Evan was just being cautious. She wouldn't want to end up like Lil Red Ridding Hood, I'm sure. ROTFL.

Thankfully, I don't have to depend on Lil Red Ridding Hood for my craving of popiah. The Slim Lady has been on a 1-week leave, and today, she said she wanted to try out my mum's popiah recipe.

She bought the ingredients yesterday and did much of the chopping and cutting of the veggies. It took her about 3.5 hours just to get all the veggie ready. It's really a lot of hard work.

I too took a day off from work today, just to spend time with the Slim Lady and to help her prepare the popiah. But it turned out that I was the one who actually did all the cooking (and most of the eating as well). It's really quite tedious - preparing the different veggie, cooking them separately, and having to mix them up in a big wok in the end. But we had great fun cooking the popiah together, husband and wife. All the hard work in preparing the popiah is worth it.

Having cooked the dish myself, I also appreciate my mum's popiah even more. When she prepares the popiah during CNY, she always get up at the crack of dawn at 5 am to prepare all the ingredients herself. I've no idea how tiring this is, just the tossing of the veggie! I'm still quite amazed at how she could accomplish that herself all alone.

So, what's the verdict of our first attempt at cooking this special dish? The popiah veggie tasted a little sweet, quite unlike those prepared by my mum. We thought perhaps we've added more carrot then we should. But my mum told us that the sweetness was actually from the turnip. Here're some photos of the yummilicious popiah...











The cut veggie also didn't look as "refined" as my mum's. I told the Slim Lady that it was probably because of the old grating board which has been with us for years. Time to change a new one, and maybe the next time round, the veggie would be refined as sugar. I know what Victor is probably thinking when he reads this: "hmmmm.. here's a workman blaming his tools but himself ...."

All things considered, I rated the popiah 8 out of ten. Though the veggie is a wee bit sweet to my liking, once it's wrapped up in the popiah skin with the sweet dark sauce, the chilli and the peanuts, it tastes almost as scrumptious as the popiah prepared by my mum. In fact, my Dad said our popiah tasted better! (I'm inclined to believe that Dad has lost his taste bud... considering he's getting on in years...) LOL.

So Evan, what you waiting for? When can I see photos of your popiah in your blog.... Hee!

Category: Food

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, almost the whole paragraph at the start is mocking me huh...

anyway your popiah certainly looks good..and i believe its yummy as well! looks like the square kind of skin from supermarket really does do the trick...i must get it soon...

thx for this post!

Anonymous said...

oh by the way, how many servings did u prepare 4? looks like yours can feed a school full of hungry kids. for me, its pretty simple, just prepare for 2 persons, the most 4 (if we wanna keep for nx day)..so i shd finish chopping the veggies in 1 hr's time rite?? u really frighten me when u said 3.5 hours...i don't hv that much time to spare, consider that i won't do anything after i come home from work. and weekends are packed with activities.

but i really will do the popiah soon i guess. and since its my first attempt, the more i don't wanna make so much...what if fail..then all my effort + $$$ will go to waste.

Lam Chun See said...

My saliva dripping all over the keyboard liao.

Victor said...

Evan, prepare for 2 or at most 4 to keep for the next day? I take that to mean that you don't want to disappoint the 3 grampas with your experimental maiden effort. Okay, first time let your husband be the guinea pig first. Next time you make, you must either invite us or don't let us know at all. Otherwise the 3 grampas have to keep on changing keyboards.

Frankly IMHO, cooking just for 2 or even 4 is not worth all the effort. The work is not much more even if you include the grampas too. (Moreover, popiah skin is taken care of liao.)

If place is a problem, we can have it at your void deck or community hall lor. LOL.

Victor said...

Hey Chris, what do you imply by the following statement in your 2nd para:-

After all, mummy always warns little girls about the danger of meeting strangers in the Internet. Is Evan worried that Victor (or Chun See) might turn out to be sheep in wolves clothing? Hey Evan, I'm certainly no wolf, ok? And I'll come to your rescue.

In any case, you will hear from my lawyer regarding this. I will sue you for your last popiah okay.

Anonymous said...

ah hem..void deck izit...u want those got "live band" or not..might as well bring some joss sticks & incense paper as well..

anyway i'll be the guinea pig 1st..i forsee preparng for 2 isnt hard work at all...afterall i'm used to cooking n everything..shdnt be too difficult 4 me.

Chris Sim said...

Evan, the recipe my mum gave me is good enuf for 2 big pots (note: NOT 2 big persons. Hee). So u might want to reduce the portions accordingly. My advise is use less turnip if you don't want the end result to be too sweet. My mum didn't warn me about that earlier, I guess she forgot. Much of cooking is really based on trials and errors, agreed? Any left over, just call Victor.. he's the one who's been PESTering you most about the popiah leh.... LOL.

Chun See - No problem. One fine day if you eventually meet Victor, I'll pass you some to sample. Hee.

Victor - You wolf meh? I tot u monkey wat. 不打
自招。。。哈哈!

Chris Sim said...

Evan, and if you're buying the sweet sauce, do note that there are 2 kinds - the darker one is usually meant for fried carrot cake. Get the lighter colour one.

Lam Chun See said...

Aiyah Victor, isn't it clear enuf. Only for hubby and leftover also won't blanja the laudies. Grovelling won't work one lah.

Anonymous said...

got lighter color one meh...i tot the 2 types are..the more diluted & salty one is for frying carrot cake. the one which is sweet n sticky is for popiah? where got lighter color one?

Victor said...

Choy choy, Evan don't anyhow say things okay. What "void deck izit...u want those got 'live band' or not..might as well bring some joss sticks & incense paper as well..".

You did not see Chris' Farewell.... Soon Beng post ah? Or speed reading again? It's not a matter of whether you are superstitious or not okay. Better let this kind of sleeping dogs lie.

Okay, okay. I admit that I may have been a bit presumptuous by saying void deck or community hall and in doing so, I might have hurt your pride. Maybe yours is a clubhouse? Hehe.

Anonymous said...

wah lau no lah, i dun hv much pride one LOL! anyway i've already done the veggies for my popiah, not alot of work...and now they're in my slowcooker. intend to hv it for lunch tmr *yums* will take pictrues to show u all then!

Anonymous said...

btw chris, make sure u visit my blog ya? how come i'm always the one visiting yours and writing comments...no fair!!

Anonymous said...

Tho' not a popiah fan, but can I be on the waiting list? Looks *juicy*!