Thursday, March 02, 2006

Roll up your sleeves and let's roll the POPIAH!

This post is dedicated to Evan, whose Kitchen Ramblings leave many of us salivating...



Mum's the world's greatest cook. This is a sentiment shared by many people of their mothers. Except for my kids, who think yours truly a better cook then their mum, the Slim Lady. If that's the irrevocable truth, and I think it is, I have my mum to thank for.

See, like most people, me too think my mum is the world's best cook. She's thought me how to whip out a mean bowl of laksa, a plate of glutinous rice, and my favorite kim kueh mee or pumpkin noodle. When it comes to cooking, my mum is the sort who subscribes to the theory of "agaration" (an acronym of Malay and English words meaning Estimation). There's no hard and fast rules on the ingredients or amount of seasoning used. Everything is based on estimation, and anything goes.

Having said that, my mum cooks other fabulous food such as braised duck, hor-fan and yu-sheng, the kind that goes with congee, just to name a few. I've been wanting to put into writing my mum's many recipe or they will be in oblivion when my mum makes her exit one day...

Evan, a 'blogo-friend' of mine, has asked me for my mum's popiah recipe when I did a post on Chinese New Year goodies recently. See, popiah is a staple food for my family during CNY. My mum usually prepares 3 big pots of the popiah veggie, enough to serve all our relatives and friends who come visiting, with left over to last at least another 3 days. It's become a tradition of sort, having popiah for CNY in my household. And it's really quite a joy to see all my aunts, uncles and cousins rolling up their sleeves and rolling the popiah themselves, basically having a rolling-good time (no pun intended).

So, Evan, here's the recipe, courtesy of my mum. Be warned though, that I've yet to try it out myself.

Ingredients

1. Shredded Carrot (5x)
2. Shredded Turnip (3x)
3. Long bean (2 packets)
4. Cabbage (1 roll)
5. Bean-curd (2 packet. My mum says to buy them from the supermarket. Each packet contains 4 bean-curd)
6. Pork belly
7. Suan Ah (10x). [I don't exactly know what this is called in English; but in Hokkien, it's called Suan Ah]


Method

1. Cut bean-curd into tiny cube; then fry them
2. Stir-fry carrot, turnip, long beans, cabbage and "suan ah" separately
3. Slice pork belly into tiny pieces, stir-fry it.
4. Mix ALL ingredient together.
5. Add salts and MSG (optional) for taste

Chilli

In my humble opinion, the chilli is one of the most important ingredient in popiah-making (just like the Hainanese chicken rice), without which the popiah simply won't give us the ooommmpphh! My mum uses only three ingredient for the chilli - the chilli itself, garlic and a bit of salt. First, grind the chilli. Then add the garlic and continue to grind. Lastly, add the salt.

Peanuts

You also need peanuts. I'm not sure if my mum prepares this herself. But you can get the ready-made one in the market.

Popiah skin

Can get the traditional one from Joo Chiat as recommended by Victor. No car? Never mind, get Victor to buy for you. Just pay him petrol money. Or repay him with TEN rolls of popiah. :P You might as well ask him to deliver some to my house. ;) Actually, those ready-made skin from the supermarket is just as good.

Other ingredients

You can add prawn, mashed egg etc. And don't forget the sweet sauce. Another ingredient that is a must is the Chinese lettuce (or Pang Chai in Hokkien).

I guess that's about it, Evan. Apologies for the delay. So when do you think Victor and I can sample your popiah? :P

Category: Food

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg this looks good!!!! tq tq!

but hor, i've got a few things to clarify..

1. what does this (5x) thingy beside the ingredients mean?

2. as for the beancurd, 1 packet contains 4 meh? i tot only 2...

3.ok i know what's suan ah..but can be bought at this time of the year?

4. supermarket doesnt sell popiah skin leh...they only sell those meant for frying spring rolls in..won't the texture be different?

haha what makes u think i've got great culinary skill? skali is nice to see, not nice to eat...afterall photos are deceiving :p can lah, if one of you ferry me to buy the popiah skin, i don't mind letting u sampling just a wee bit haha! really appreciate for sharing the recipe chris...i'm looking forward to more recipes from u yar?

Chris Sim said...

Hehehe.. the foto was ripped from the internet one lah. My mum's popiahs definitely look more tasty...

5x means quantity of 5 lah. So carrot (5x) means 5 sticks of carrot lor.

My mum said 1 pack got 4 beancurd. If your supermarket sells those that come in 2, then you buy 8 packets lor. But if you're cooking only for a party of 2 or 3, then you may not want to may too much. Same goes for the other ingredients. Remember "agaration". Hee.

As for suan ah, is it leek in English? Sorry, dunno my mum said suan ah or soon ah. Just ask the sellors and try your luck lor.

No Evan, those square-size popiah sold in the supermarkets can be used for both fried and non-fried popiah. You'll be surprised at how thin the texture is. The yellow-colour ones are those with egg. My mum always buy the plain ones.

I think with the sweet dark sauce and the chilli sauce, the popiah will taste good. So I'm hopeful that this will be a success, Evan. Happy Rolling!

Anonymous said...

ok chris, thx for yr clarifications. i'm gonna copy n paste the whole chunk and send it to myself via email...suppose if one day i cant find it in your archive anymore..just in case lah. by the way, whats the exact address of the popiah skin seller in joo chiat?

and yes, suan ah is leek. some ppl simply call it 'sng'. different "denominations" of hokkien call it differently :p

Anonymous said...

Hello,

i stumbled onto your blog while searching for popiah recipes. i'm a sporean currently on a super long stay in Salt lake City, Utah and i really miss popiah.
i'll be giving a tiny popiah party soon, and would like to really be able to serve up some decent popiah.
so i'm really grateful for your recipe here, except that i have no idea what "suan ah" is and so have some difficulties in buying it in the supermarkets here.
Would really really appreciate it, if you could help me find out what it is in English, or its similar ingredient and email it to me.

Thank you,
Rice
pur_cess@yahoo.com.sg