Sunday, March 26, 2006

Driving habits of Singaporeans that really piss peeve me off

What's with drivers who cut lanes, refuse to signal their intention and behave like hooligans on the roads?

I was listening to news radio 93.8 when listeners were asked to call in to rate Singaporean drivers on road courtesy. Nine out of 10 callers said that we Singaporean make bad drivers. I agree 110%!

Just yesterday, I was making a right U-turn, signal on, when the car behind me tried to overtake me as he intended to turn right into the carpark. I saw his car in my side mirror, and he didn't even bother to signal his intention. I halted my car mid-way as I turned and waved him on. Perhaps it was the flabbergasted look on my face, the middle-aged driver stepped out of his car and raised his voice at me: "Who is in the wrong? Who is in the wrong?" Hello? I had my right signal on, and you were behind me. Unless he's totally blind to the fact that I was about to turn right. It did not matter that I was making a right U-turn. I was still turning right anyway. So who has the right of way? I've no wish to get into a tussle with the man, considering that my two kids were in the car with me. We could argue until the cow came home, and that man would still insist that "I'm in the wrong."

Years ago, when I first obtained my driving license, a bus, loaded with factory workers, pushed me into the road shoulder in the PIE. And all because I overtook it. First of all, the lorry had no business whatsoever in the middle lane. And secondly, it was speeding. Having pushed me into the shoulder, the bus driver stopped his bus, wanting to confront me and probably spoiling for a fight. I slowed down my car, and was thinking whether I should stop my car as well. Thankfully, I had the sense to drive on, or I would have woken up the next day (if I'm still in one piece, that is), and found myself splashed across the ST with the news: "Road-rage: Compact car owner, pushed into road shoulder, assaulted bully burly bus driver". My friend told me always to standby a baton, an umbrella, anything, as a weapon in the car. I'm not sure if this advice is sound.

Why are Singaporean drivers behaving like thugs on the road? Stress in our lives? Impatience? Or simply to show off the flashy fast car? Indeed, the ST has reported that cases of road-rage have gone up in recent years. It's true that driving in Singapore can be very stressful. We have the following drivers to thank for:

1. Drivers, especially those driving big cars, simply choose not to signal their intentions when they want to switch lanes. What's wrong with these drivers? Whatever's the signal function of the car for? Just because they drive big cars, they think they are the kings of the road? It's been said that men who drive big cars are trying to compensate their inadequacy in the bedroom. Just ask Victor. LOL.

2. Drivers who refuse to give way to drivers who signal their intention. More often than not, the former would speed up, rather than slow down, to prevent the latter from filtering into the lane. Maybe that's the reason why drivers in para 1 don't signal in the first place. It's like: If I signal, I'll never be able to filter in. If I don't signal, the driver behind me gives way to me. How ironic.

3. Drivers who hog the road, especially those who drive on the extreme right lane of the expressways. These drivers take their own sweet time, travelling at 70-80 km/h, as if they are sightseeing on the road. No amount of flashing or tooting could get them to change lane.

4. Drivers who tailgate to "push" you out of their lane. Such drivers are lonely people. They have not been kissed for years and if they do, they've probably been kissing themselves with the mirror. So they couldn't wait to "kiss" your car.

5. Lorries, trucks and vans driving above the speed limit, occupying lanes other than the extreme left lane. These big vehicles have been getting rather bold these days, especially after their speed limit was increased from 60km/h to 70/km. Where are the "white mice" when you need them?

I'm usually a safe and careful driver. Victor can vouch for me. On the occasions that I'm not, I put the blame squarely on the above drivers. And I realise something - it makes me feel good when I give way to fellow drivers, especially when the drivers reciprocate with a wave of a hand to say "thank you". I caught a car-decal on a passing vehicle once with this initials "F.I.D.O". Know what that means? No, it's not the name of a doggy. It actually stands for "Forget It and Drive On". Now, that's a sound advice every driver should heed.

Category: Musings

4 comments:

BULLSEYE said...

Well, alrighty then...

Victor said...

Huh? What was that bullseye? You didn't even seem to hit the target with that comment, not to mention the bull's eye, hehe.

Chris, I take issue with this post on several points:

1 If you were making a right u-turn and that impatient guy was doing a right turn (presumably at the same place) how is it possible that both of your paths cross each other? (Not forgetting that you were in front of him some more.) Unless your u-turn was so wide (and slow) that it cut into the impatient guy's path. Yes, I can vouch for you about how safely you drive, except the times when you failed to notice the red traffic light and just drove through because there were no pedestrians crossing the road; grazed our colleague's stationary car in the car park; slide back and 'kissed' the car behind; and I am sure some others that either I can't remember or you didn't tell, hehe.

2 Yes my car may look big but it is only 1.6l (same as yours) and it is at least 300-400 kg heavier than yours so I can't drive it recklessly fast even if I wanted too. It just won't move off quickly enough.

3 What? You refered to our Uncle Sams as 'white mice'? Surely they are the cats and we motorists are the mice 'cos we are always playing a cat-and-mouse game, LOL.

Anonymous said...

chris, i've updated my popiah entry. go see! and leave comments, pls!

Chris Sim said...

Victor, since you are at that area almost every Saturday morning, allow me to demo to you how the incident happen. It's apparent that you have difficulty visualising what actually happened.

Did I actually "committed" so many traffic "offences"? A pity you're not one of the "white mice". Haha.

Ya, white mice. 白老鼠。没听过meh?