Sunday, May 14, 2006

I not stupid, too

"没有教不会的孩子,只有不会教的父母。"


I caught Jack Neo's "I Not Stupid, Too" on VCD today and I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually cried "bucket". My colleague has warned me that the movie is quite a tear-jerker. But I never expected a grown man like me to shed a tear so easily. Sniff.

I think Jack Neo makes a great satirist; at least in our local context. Like his previous movies, there are many subtle messages about government policies and socio-political issues in this movie. In his movie "Home Run", there's a scene in which two camps of boys were seen tussling over the use of a water well. To the uninitiated, this scene is really a portrayal of the never-ending dispute between Singapore and Malaysia over the water agreement. Any wonder that the movie has been banned in Malaysia? And surpise surprise, Jack seems to have gotten away with "murder" back home. He didn't come under fire despite his many jabs at our government policies, nor his prevalent use of the dialects in his movies. In fact, he was worthy of a mention by our then PM Goh in one of his speeches.

Jack Neo's latest offering is a poignant story on the social problems brought about by the generation gap between parents and their kids; their lack of communications; the demands on the kids by the parents who are in turn pressured by the social norm of our society. Indeed, we can identify and see in us the many Singaporeans depicted in the movies:

1. The professional parents who have no time for their kids and try to compensate them with money and material wants;
2. The uneducated and handicapped father who has problem expressing his love to his 15-year-old son and has never offered him a word of praise since the child turned 3;
3. The teenagers troubled by their teenage angst and lack of understanding from their parents;
4. The mother-tongue teacher from the "old school of thought" whose method to make the kids learn the Chinese language is to humiliate the kids in front of the class when they failed their tests;
5. The protective grandma who comes to the rescue of the grandson each time the kid takes a beating from the parents.

Of course, Jack Neo will not be Jack Neo if he does not take swipes at some of our government polices, however subtle the messages are:

1. The old Mother-tongue policy, which, for the longest time, had been a bane to many otherwise brilliant students trying to gain a place in our universities. This policy has been relaxed and teachers are now told to "Teach Less" and help the kids to "Learn More";
2. The way some school principals expel students whom they think are "beyond hope". The boy in the movie joined the street gang when he was expelled, having nothing to do to while away his time. Indeed, some schools expel students for the sake of the school reputation. But teachers, and not just parents, have a social responsibility to guide and correct the youngsters from their wayward ways, and not turn them away. As one father puts it in the movie, "没有教不会的孩子,只有不会教的父母."

The parents portrayed in the movies are quick to find fault with their kids but slow to praise them when the occasions arise. The underlying message in the movie is that we parents must take time to understand our children and don't just concentrate on their shortcomings and negative traits. Just like a piece of paper with a blemished black dot in the centre. Why focus on the black dot and isolate the rest of the white? Why, indeed. And much as I hate to admit, I can't help but draw some parallels in the way I treat my sons after watching the movie.

Category: Movies

6 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

I have not watched the movie yet. From your review, I think it is going to be entertaining. As for the issues you mentioned, I have a suspicion that people like Jack Neo tend to over-simpify. I see lots of that in some of my favourite TV shows like Judging Amy, The Practice and Family Law(yes I like courtroom dramas).

Get back after I see it.

Anonymous said...

Most of the time, we don't learn to treasure what we've got till it's lost, or nearly lost. The touching part for me was when Jack pleeded with the old lady to tell the police that he robbed her, instead of his son, who actually committed the crime.

I'm going home for lunch today, and spend some time with my baby. :)

fr said...

I think we 'concentrate' on the black dot doesn't mean that we do not know or ignore the whites. It is that the black dot is very conspicuous. If the parents or teachers don't attend to it, it might spread.

Chris Sim said...

Frannxis - That's one way of looking at the black dot. Yes, if left unchecked, I'm sure it will spread like cancer. But let's not focus too much on it. Nip it in the bud, if we must; but let's not harp too much on the black dot. I think our kids have many wonderful traits waiting to be discovered. You know what, my big boy told me once that he gave money to a man he caught eating some left over at a food court. Though he always gets into quarrel with his kid brother, this incident tells me that he does have a loving and caring nature. Of course, sometimes I concentrate too much on his "black dots". So I tell myself that I must learn to look at the "white" more.

Chun See - I think Jack's stories hit a chord with most Singaporeans because we can empathise with what most of his characters in his movies go through in their lives - Streaming and EM3, suicidal kids, materialism, and work and life stress. I don't think he over-simplies his stories. Go get the movie. I bought it at $13.90, original. And tell me if you cry, or at least feel a lump in your throat after watching the movie.

Alex - woa Alex, that scene was really touching, huh? We parents would take the rap for our kids, I'm sure. And yes, stop being a workaholic and better spend time bonding with your baby!

Victor said...

Woah Chris, I didn't know that you make a very good film critic too. And you also set a very good example for your children - I mean the part where you bought original and not pirated. Support local talent - very noble. Wahaha.

me said...

yes, the show is very nice. i cried buckets too after watching it. especially the part the little kid wishes to save money to buy his parent's time. its a oh-my-gosh gesture. so sad, so drama also haha..

anyways, have you watched I not stupid? Its kinda nice too... well i guess we really need to reflect sometimes... does money work for us? or are we their slaves? why did we focus on money so much till we lose so much morale values in our lives?