Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Can I bring COURTS to court?

I have to take back what I said about not being disappointed with the service rendered by Courts in my last entry. I'm not only disappointed, but angry as well.

Well, when the sofa arrived at my house yesterday, it looked all fine and dandy. But the colour of the cushions and the backrest looked fishy and something told me court must have made a mistake. The existing shade of yellow-brown looks deceivingly similar to the earth-brown colour that I've wanted. Though feeling slightly suspicious, I chose to push it out of my mind. Part of me hate confrontation, and another part of me also wanted to believe that service standard of Courts really must have improved over the years. Alas, it was not meant to be....

My suspicion was confirmed when the Slim Lady and I made a trip to Courts at Tampines today, with the intention to buy another set of cushion covers. We have ordered exactly the same colour scheme as the display set. The mistake was obvious when we viewed the sample of the fabric available at the store.

I spoke to one of the sales girl, and upon checking, she said that the display set colour has already being discontinued and has been for a while. It seems that Courts has taken the liberty to choose the yellow-brown colour on my behalf. How nice and considerate! Why don't they pay for my sofa as well?

Frankly, I wouldn't have minded the colour if only Courts has taken the initiative to call me and tell me that the colour that I've wanted was no longer available. This is what service is all about. After all, I'm the one paying for the sofa, and the one who will be "living" with the sofa for many years to come. It irks me that the retail industry could take things for granted, assuming that consumers are blind and that they can make decisions for the customers at their every whimp and fancy. Well, with this customer, they don't! Why should I put up with their inefficiency?

As it turned out, I insisted that I want the colour of the cushions changed, and have chosen another shade of brown since the one that I wanted is no longer available. Courts said the factory would call me to make arrangement. Let's see how bad the service will continue...

In the meantime, I've been told not to "dirty" the cushions. Or else, the factory will reject the exchange. So, I've told Junior and Senior Junior not to lean on the sofa (my pal Victor would think it's not just me, but my whole family has gone insane now, sitting without leaning..). This must be a joke, having paid for something and not being able to use it the way we want to. Slim Lady took one step even further - she has wrapped up the cushions in plastic bags and kept in the storeroom.

Customer service in Singapore? Don't make me laugh....

1 comment:

Victor said...

Chris if I were you, I would go ahead and put my personal signature odour, stains, dolby marks (and what have you) on the sofa. After all, Courts didn't follow your instructions, so why should you follow theirs? Alternatively, if you really don't mind the colours which Courts 'took the initiative' to choose for you, you should ask for a generous discount. Thinking on the positive side (as you always do) you should be happy that Courts had the initiative to give you another colour. They could have just given you the display set and pray that you didn't know the difference, you know?