Monday, December 26, 2005

Making (and breaking) New Year resolutions

The day after Christmas and six days to 2006. There's still plenty of time yet to make that thing called “Resolution. To me, making resolution is a yearly ritual - not just making it; but breaking it as well. Why? Most people can't hold resolutions beyond 3 January. It has become a ritual of mockery. So why bother?

Truth is, a year without resolutions is a year without purposes or directions. Resolutions are like beacons, guiding us in the brand new year, giving us directions in the way we want our life to be. We make resolutions, trying to take stock of our life. But of course, staying on course to fulfill one's resolution is never easy. Or there'll be no necessity to make resolutions.

I've got a few resolutions for 2006. Whether I can keep them or not is beside the point. In order of priority, my resolutions are:

1. Spend more time with my family. The demand of work, hours surfing the net and blogging (looking sheepish) do eat into my time with my family. It's really hard trying to juggle everything. For a start, I will cut down working OT on weekend unless absolutely necessary. After all, what's the 5-day week for?

2. Shape up. Exercise more and eat less. The latter is going to be tough, what with lunch each working day of the week with BAGUS. Of course, if I fail in this resolution, I can always blame BAGUS.

3. Be a Flextarian. To the uninitiated, Flextarian is one who is mostly vegetarian but occasionally omnivorous. I really think I need to take in more greens and less meat. Again, with BAGUS, this may pose a challenge.

4. To be a nicer person. I'm 90% nice, and 10% nasty (some may say ‘bitchy’). Sometimes, you have to be nasty, especially in the office where we know “survival of the fittest” rules. The 10% nastiness usually applies to show co-workers (sometime bosses) that I’m no pushover, ok? But most time, I'm nice. I swear. :))

5. To learn to play the guitar. It's something that I've longed to do for years but haven't found the time to. My mind willing, I do think I can still learn to "strum" a tune or two, despite my fingers getting stumpy and stiffy even as I “age”.

6. Roller-blade. This is also something that I've always wanted to learn. Better get Senior Junior to show me the rope before my bones get all brittle. Perhaps Victor can teach me how? Victor's quite a roller, so I was told.

7. To stop reduce taking swipes at Victor (para 6 is NOT a swipe at you Victor) whose sporting nature and good humour has sustained our friendship thus far. Others would have fallen out with me long ago for the horrible things I did him. :P

8. To resist blaming BAGUS or anything (animated or inanimated), on my failure in fulfilling any of the above resolutions. :))

Wah, eight resolutions already? Hmmm... I'll be happy if I can fulfill half of them. See? I'm giving up already!

2 comments:

Victor said...

Woah, 8 resolutions would mean that you would take longer than 3 Jan 06 to break all of them. Maybe 4 Jan 06? Wahaha.

Teach you roller blading? No problem at all. But as your senior junior would have told you, you really learn to roller blade by falling several times. Are you sure your brittle bones can take the falling or not. I don't want to lose a good friend that way you know, hee.

It's good that you put in some effort to make New Year resolutions never mind you think you may break half of them. In my opinion, that is quite a good achievement already. As for me, I never get down to making any New Year resolutions at all.

Victor said...

I forgot to add that I am a more a doer than a thinker, i.e. when I want to do something I just get out and do it. I don't think some much about it before I do it. This means that I plan very little before I do something. You may interprete my actions as being impulsive. (My car purchase is a case in point.)

This Christmas holidays, I installed the Ikea furniture for my new PC. I also set up the new PC myself, including setting up the wireless network. Now I am typing this comment using the old PC in my bedroom which is connected to the wireless router in the hall. I can tell you that setting up a wireless home network is quite a breeze. Just let me know if need help to do this in the future - I am available for a small consultation fee (evil grin).

So you see, I just do things. No point resolving too much and then in the end, not getting down to doing the what needs to be done. (Not meaning that you tend to do that, haha.)