Friday, December 02, 2005

House-Painting is (never) fun, work from morn till set of sun ....

House-painting is (never) fun, work from morn till set of sun,
Cannot stand, cannot sit, cannot rest a little bit.


So, the song which I remember having sung it during my primary school days goes... Just that instead of "house-painting", it's "planting rice"....

The Slim Lady and I have finally given our house a new coat of paint, all 122 sq meter of it and single-handedly, too. It's the first time in six years that we've repainted our house without any professional help.

Doing it ourselves has saved us about $1200. But house-painting is no kid's play, even though Junior might seem to be having a lot of fun in the pic. It's really a lot of hard work. Our legs were sore, having stood on our feet for almost the whole day. And the arms and wrists have started to ache to. The paint was everywhere, landing itself on animated and inanimated objects alike, and I was worried sick that my fish would die! We also took this opportunity to do some spring cleaning, might as well, considering that the Lunar New Year is just about a month away. And to top it all, I was left with no access to my PC for the past two days :(



But it's a small price to pay. Not just the $265 we paid for the four buckets of paint and the brushes, but also, it helps to bond the family. The whole family went shopping for the paints, the kids got to chose the colours for their rooms, and how they wanted their furnitures to be arranged after the painting was done. Granted, the Slim Lady and myself did the bulk of the painting, but the kids were also told to paint their own rooms, too, at least in the initial stage when we started. They enjoyed the painting at first, but as with most kids, the novelty soon wore off and then it was left with mummy and daddy to finish the job

The Slim Lady and I agree that we will do it again. Thankfully, that would be FIVE years later .... and never fun :))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello. your bloger is very nice.
I'whick you a very Cristhman.
my name's Margarida and i from Portugal - Lisbon
I enjoy you to visite my blog.

www.oblogdaguida.blogspot.com

and comment

Chris Sim said...

Hi Margarida,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I've just been to yours and having a bit of a problem 'cause I do not understand portugese. Hee.
But I love the animation, esp the wizard. Is he from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?
Wishing you a Merry Chrismtas too!

Victor said...

Well done, Chris. Painting your house yourself, you saved $1200- $265 = $935. Family bonding? Priceless. :)