Monday, November 28, 2005

Sitex, "Lies" and Gizmos

Sitex, the computer show that ended its round on Sunday has proven yet again that the service standard in Singapore leaves much to be desired.

I didn't set out to visit Sitex on Thursday. It so happened that I was on leave. I had planned to spend the day at home, "doing-nothing-but-lazing" around, you know, surfing the net, taking catnap, watching videos... But it was not to be.

Talk about good timing, my neighbor living directly below has to choose this period to renovate his house. The Triple D (Drilling, Din and Dust), was more than I could bear. I ought to get out of my house and get out fast or I'll go crazy! Sitex sounded like a good place to be, and it's just a stone's throw away from my house.

So, I was forced by circumstance to be at Sitex, and I wasn't even there for a specific purpose or to buy any thing in particular. Upon entering the hall, I was met by many sales promoters, many of them SYTs, prowling around the hall, pushing flyers and brochure right under my nose and trying hard to make me part with my money to buy things I do not need. Their enthusiasm was a refreshing change from what I often experienced at the shopping malls where the attitude of the sales staff is often one of indifference. Impressed, I thought to myself - Hmmm... there's hope yet for service standard in Singapore.

Unfortunately, I was soon to find out that the reverse is true. I had, in my haste to convince myself that the service standard in Singapore has indeed improved, mistaken the sales promoters' enthusiasm for good service. For one, I discovered, to my dismay, that many of them know nuts about the products they were promoting. For instance, I was looking at the latest SONY "Bean" MP3 player. The gal who served me had no idea how the gadget works. What's more, when I wanted to try out the player, no song was uploaded into the MP3 player to begin with! She was CLUELESS and she offered no apology.

Another sales promoter tried recommending me a cordless phone. She could not even tell me from where the phone was manufactured, for crying out loud! She scampered away, looking for her colleague and returned to tell me it's MIC (no prize for guessing the country!). I simply walked away in disgust.

As I've said, I'm not in need of any gadget or gizmo. Erm.. ok perhaps subconsciously, I was looking out for something - a "wearable" MP3 audio portable player, despite already in possession of two MP3 players, one being the ubiquitous and popular iPOD.

Frannxis, a blogger I met in Blogosphere and who had wrestled with the decision to purchase a cheaper rice cooker, would have called me a spendthrift. If that is so, then I put the blame squarely on my iPOD which has let me down one time too many. Since I bought it last Dec, I had had my iPOD serviced twice and it seems there's no sign of letting up. It's still acting quirky and I'm getting tired of having to send it for further service, despite still under warranty. I've said it before - iPOD sucks. It's over-priced and is all hype, mainly because it was entirely "MIC". And so, I began to toy with the idea of getting a new MP3 player, a smaller one perhaps, one that's wearable and comes with a clip that could be worn around. And most importantly, it must not be "MIC". Sitex had seemed like the right place to start looking!

It didn't take me long to look for the MP3 player that I wanted. And I found it at the Samsung booth. Introducing Samsung YP-F1, it comes with inter-changeable cover and I got 5 extra covers instead of the usual 2 as a result of having made the purchase at Sitex. And best of all, it's entirely "Made In Korea".





Ok, enough of the gizmo. Back to the service standard in Singapore. While making payment, the sales promoter handed me a "life-long" COURTS card that gives me 5% off on all purchases. It then dawned on my that the Samsung booth actually belonged to COURTS, the megastore that I've sworn off as a result of past poor service experience. Well, there's no way I could back out the transaction so I asked the sales promoter if there was a lucky draw for purchase made during Sitex. She gave me a couple of coupons from COURTS and added that only purchases made on IT products are eligible for Sitex Lucky Draw. I made a mistake by not checking if what she told me was true.

The next day, Victor who had also been to Sitex and was all excited like a school boy over the "free" HP computer he got from StarHub told me that there was no restriction on the type of products purchased and one is entitled to a lucky draw for every $50 spent! That means I have 6 chances of winning a plasma TV 'cause my MP3 player cost me $319. Though my luck has never been good in lucky draw, I remembered what Victor wrote about Murphy's Law in his latest entry - that the more you think something would not happen, the more it will. Who knows, I might get lucky this time round. So, I was compelled to make a 2nd trip to Sitex just for the lucky draw. Granted, I should have checked out the details myself, but I would rather the sale promoter at COURTS told me she did not know than to give me wrong information. NO INFORMATION is definitely better then WRONG INFORMATION.

Enough said. It's time for my evening jog, made more interesting by my new SAMSUNG YP-F1 MP3 player. I feel so motivated maybe I'll start jogging on a daily basis!

4 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, I am really impressed by your stamina. You told me that you were on leave for a couple of days this week to paint your house which is obviously a back-breaking task that stretches over several days. After painting your house you still got the strength, not to mention the time, to write such a long post. And then go jogging after blogging some more; not because of the rhyme ('jogging' and 'blogging') but because of the rhythm (from your new MP3 player). Are you sure you have started the painting or are you simply procrastinating again?

Let me dish out some good advice for you in return for all those wise words that you have said to me - do not blast the volume of the MP3 player too loud when you're jogging. Joggers have been known to be killed by drivers when the former couldn't hear the latter's car horn because of the loud music in their ears.

About the service standard at Sitex, most of the staff are part-timers who only work for the 4 days to earn some extra pocket money. As such, you have to be realistic and forgiving - how good can their service and product knowledge be? At least, they made up for their lack of service and knowledge by being enthusiastic.

About Murphy's Law, I just learnt today (from my dick) that it is also called SOD'S LAW. I know what you are thinking - no, I don't think that 'SOD' stands for 'Son Of a D*g'. Must be the name of someone else like Murphy. We can't stop learning, can we?

Chris Sim said...

I jog only on the pathment lah. If I were to be ran down, it's must be by someone of HUGE proportion. No price of guessing correctly who pal.

I gathered those sales stall are part-timers, so I'm already very forgiving for not having given them a piece of my mind, ok?

So have you found out what SOD stands for? Sexy Ominous and Desirable?

Victor said...

It's fortunate that we live in the age of the Internet, Chris. All you need to do is google (search) on the Internet. But why am I telling you this? Being almost a decade younger, you are supposed to be more IT savvy than me, hee. Visit this site yourself to find more about Murphy's Law and Sod's Law. You'll be surprised that Sod's Law came before Murphy's Law.

By the way, told you I saw the Samsung YP-F1 MP3 player on sale at the Harvey Norman outlet at Ikea yesterday, the 256 Mb model was selling at $219, the 512 Mb one at $269 and the 1 Gb one at $299. And they come with 2 extra interchangeable covers. Looks like you've been conned (yes, again). Wahaha.

Chris Sim said...

Thanks for the insight Victor on Murphy and Sod's Law. It seems there are quite a few stories on the origin of both laws, huh? If I understand correctly, Murphy's Law is often used in a negative light. It means "If anything wrong can happen, it will." So in this context, the usage of Murphy's Law in my blog is flawed.

You may want to try www.worldwidewords.org for other quirky words and phrases.

You like to gloat hor. Aiyah, sometimes buy things like that one lah. But I've FIVE interchangeable covers and ONE skin mah. And got to take part in Sitex lucky draw.