Saturday, November 19, 2005

Wife Vs. Mistress

No don't get me wrong. I do not, I emphasis, DO NOT have a mistress. Not that I lack the opportunities... Just that I think it's quite an expensive "hobby". Even if I have the money to blow, I also don't think it's morally right to keep a mistress. Sorry, this is not a post on moral issues. Nor is a post to chastise any man who has a mistress, nor any woman who has a toyboy... When a marriage reaches a stage when either the man or the woman has to seek solace in the comfort of another person, there's always different stories to tell on both sides of the coin. No, I'm not gonna play the moral judge. Let him who has not sinned cast the first stone ...

Anyway, let's lighten up .... what I'm gonna blog today is something quite funny and light-hearted. Sometime ago, I attended a talk on "Thinking On Your Feet" of which I posted an entry. The talk was basically a training session organised by my company to help employees to acquire the ability to make snappy decision on the spot, as the title suggests. We were taught various methods to collect information, organise the information and then having to present the information to the class. One of the methods is known as "Opposites". We were asked to spell out all the opposites of two variables; for instance, Life vs death; Light vs Darkness, Man vs Woman, etc..

I was particularly amused, likewise the trainer, by a group that chose to write about Wife vs Mistress. Predictable mortals like those in my groups had choosen to scrawl about "Man vs Woman" and how "Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus". How boring and predictable, right? I must take my hat off to that group for their wit and ingenuity. What they wrote was really quite hilarious, and in some ways, true!



The Slim Lady must NEVER EVAR read this .....

4 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, I cannot agree with you more that having a mistress is expensive. Make no mistake, I am also not speaking from experience. Just that recently there have been a few stories about affairs with mistresses that were expensive - expensive lessons, that is, for the men who indulged in this activity. And for the 'other' women, it was nothing short of tragic. Some ended up losing their lives in a most horrific manner. The relationships went terribly wrong.

I have personally witnessed a recent marital breakdown of a couple close to me. When it happens, the marriage vows 'to stay together in sickness or in health' and 'to care for each other till death do us part' are all but forgotten. Instead each would vow to 'fight to death till we part' and they only care about what they each can get back from the broken marriage. It's very sad indeed. And I haven't even mentioned about how traumatic it must have been for the children, if the couple had any from their marriage.

Invariably for the stories that we read, the men were much older and the women, usually a foreigner, were much prettier. It is a deadly combination; a time bomb waiting to explode.

That's why I exhort to to restrain and refrain, even though you may be not short of opportunities to indulge in such an affair. Just another piece of good advice which you can use, haha.

Chris Sim said...

Well, human relationships are extremely complex. Why do couples become estrange? Why do married couples start having extra-marital affairs? For lack of communications? Lack of love? When a couple got married, despite their marriage vow "for better or for worse" and "till death do us apart", can they be absolutely sure that they would still be holding hands in their twilight years? To me, marriage is a gamble. I'm not condoning infidelity. But, at the same times, I do think that when a couple breaks up, they'll find ways to fill that void in their lives. To forget their pain, some bury themselves in their work. Others concentrate on bringing up their kids. Yet others look for new love. It's been said that everyone deserves a shot at happiness. But there are people who need more then one shot ...

Those tragedies that we read on the papers involving younger or foreign wives... For every tragic marriage that was reported, I'm sure they are many happy ones. Just that they are not newsworthy enough to see the light of day ....

Victor said...

You forgot to mention 'lack of sex' as one of the probable causes of EMA. Sexual intimacy is an important part of a couple's relationship. I am not implying that 'lack of sex' happened to you or I. Even if it did, I am sure that we have strong enough restraint not to fall into the trap of EMA, hee.

Victor said...

BTW, is 'EVAR' the name of your mistress?