Sunday, February 19, 2006

Parents beware: Idiots disguised as educated tutors

I can't help but recall my own experiences with private tutors when I read an article on how parents have been duped by poorly qualified tutors who advertised themselves as straight-A students with brilliant results.

Years ago, I called up a tuition agency, requesting for a tutor with at least an A-level qualification to help tutor my son. I specifically told the agency that I would like to take a look at the credential of the tutor and was assured that there was no problem.

On the day the tutor arrived at my home, she told me she's forgotten to bring her cert. I'm usually a man of reason. If you didn't bring it today, just show it to me the next time. But I was caught off guard when the tutor quipped, "is it really necessary for me to show you my cert? I'm from Outram Institute and I passed all my subjects. If I show you my cert, so what if you're not happy with my result?"

What audacity, I thought. I was left speechless momentarily but recovered enough to tell her that I have the prerogative not to hire her then.

Anyway, I don't know what got into me, but I hired her and let her coach my son. She didn't bother to bring her cert on her 2nd trip, nor the 3rd nor EVER.

But I fired her after just one month. I was beginning to seriously doubt her competence as a tutor. She bought assessment books for my son to practise and simply marked them without much explanation. An idiot could have done a better job.

I also found her teaching maths most of the time, and neglecting English which she was also paid to teach. When I told her to give my son compo-writing, she did so without bothering to give the kid any helping words. No explanation whatsoever that the first paragraph is the intro, the 2nd paragraph is where the main story is and so on and so forth like what we were taught in school.

My kid's future is at stake! And I decided to take matters into my own hand. But I was diplomatic when I called her to say that her service is no longer needed. I even lied to say that I'm going to coach my son personally. And her response? "Fine, just credit the amount you owe me into my bank account xxxxxx". I won't be surprised if she's used this line one time too many.

It was reported in the article that many of these tutors are lying about their qaulifications. And they were encouraged to do so by the tuition agencies. Parents really owe it to the kids to make sure that they are being tutored by truly dedicated and qualified tutors. What these people are doing is worse than the unscrupulous service-industry players highlighted by Victor in his latest entry "Unscrupulous Ways of Doing Business". They are playing with the future of our kids who, someday, will be the leaders of our nation!

Category: Personal

1 comment:

Victor said...

Chris, this one I have to agree with you. (To Chun See - see, I'm not always negative. In fact, I am nice and reasonable most of the time.) I think tutors employed at tuition centres are a safer bet compared to engaging tutors who visit your home. Also, it is advisable to ask for a free trial session whereby the parents can sit in so that they can assess the standard of tutorship.

Your post reminds me that I forgot to insist on seeing the tutors' qualifications too. Must remember to do that on my next visit. If the tuition centre can't produce the tutors' qualifications, I will look for another tuition centre that can.