Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why do I feel as if I'm on an "Electric Chair"?

The wait outside was agony. Was that a scream I heard coming from the room? Or was it a fragment of my imagination? Too much movies, perhaps? But that was reel. And this is real.

Twenty minutes later, it was my turn. The door swung open, and I slowly approached the chair, with much dread and apprehension. I plonked myself on the chair and open my mouth.

There was no scream. But something else - a scalpel, was probing my mouth, gently and mostly on my teeth. The man in white standing behind me said, "Relax, and you don't have to open your mouth so widely."

I paid a visit to the dentist today, unbelievably my first since 1986 when I was in primary 6. Everyone knows a visit to the dentist is one of life's most unnerving experiences, maybe next to having an injection. Can't blame me for procrastinating.

Yes, I remember the much dreaded dental clinic in my primary school all right – the "medicinal" smell, the "clinking”sound of dental tools on the dentist's tray, the sound of drilling..... and the occasional groans of pain and scream! Aarrgghhh!

Back then, we kids call the dental room Torture Chamber no. 2, the first being the principal's office. Nothing scared us off our pants shorts/skirts more than the sight of a school kid came a-knocking at our classroom door with the much dreaded A-3 size yellow dental card. It did not help that sometimes the kid would appear with bloody looking bandage dangling in between the corner of his lips, no doubt suffered at the hands of the nasty nurses in the Torture Chamber prior to knocking at the door. We kids would wait and pray with bated breath, hoping that our name would not be called. None of us kids liked to visit the dental nurses.

There were two dental nurses in my school. I remember one of them, only because of a huge mole located somewhere near her mouth. We kids privately called her "The Mole". A woman of huge proportion, the Mole would often yell at us kids to "open your mouth wider!" or passed cruel remarks like “your mouth stinks! Don't you ever brush your teeth?” A classmate of mine whose hair was lice-infested got the worst treatment of all. She was always at the receiving end of The Mole's horrible torture, occasionally being slapped for not doing anything about her hair. No one likes to stand behind a ball of lice-infested hair, I'm sure. But getting physical was just being abusive. Those were the 70s and 80s when being slapped by teachers and principals was common practice. If the dental nurse were to pull this stunt today, heads would definitely roll and parents would write to the forum, no doubt. Have our kids become "over-protected"? That's another subject for another day.

Back to my dental appointment today. I had suffered a rather bad toothache two weeks ago and called the dental clinic to book an appointment, only to be told that the next available date would be two weeks later. This dentist came highly recommended by the Slim Lady so I chose to wait, while enduring the toothache with painkillers. When I finally saw the dentist today, my pain was all gone. I thought of giving the appointment a miss but decided to go through it since I've not had my teeth checked for decades.

Unfortunately, the doctor told me that both my wisdom teeth and the molar teeth next to them have shown sign of decay, and advised me to remove them all. To do so, it would cost me an arm and a leg at about $1000! It's not about the money, though. It's the pain I fear.

The doctor "promised" me that my pain will surely and DEFINITELY come back to haunt me. It's either now or later. But I like it that he was not pushy about it, unlike some doctors I heard.

I'm usually not a procrastinator. But when it comes to pain, it's a different story altogether. I must be wise beyond my years. How else do you explain the wisdom teeth? So "wisely", I'd wait....


Category: Musings

9 comments:

Victor said...

This reminds me of a riddle which my younger son asked me the other day:

"A man boasts that whenever he speaks, others will open their mouths in awe. What is his job?"

Lame right? But before I could open my mouth, he already told me the answer.

Lam Chun See said...

Wld u believe my kids have no fear whatsoever of dentists. Even at Pr level, they go to the dental clinic in school on their own.

Chris pardon my frankness -u shd try to overcome the fear and set good example for yr son.

Lam Chun See said...

This comment is for Victor.

I still not able to post comments at Victor's site. Have u set up some kind of pest control to keep me out? OK lah - I promise not to give u any more blogging assignments.

Suggestion - You could have given half of the $30 fine to the angry and he'll probably let you take all the pictures you want. Haha.

Chris Sim said...

I don't know about your school Chun See, back then, we kids too visited the dental clinic in the school ourselves. It always took place during school hours. If your school practised differently, then it must be the generation gap between us lor. Hee.

I didn't hear any complaint from my kids though. Maybe they're braver than their old man hor?

I should start charging you for using my blog as a "relay station" to Victor, you know. LOL

Victor said...

This comment is for Chun See. Then how come Chris and Frannxis can post comments on my blog leh? I am not in the pest control business but the one I really want to keep out is Chris. He keeps coming back just like the carpark wardens I met recently. You mean there's a way to shut people out? If so, pray tell as I am eager to learn.

This comment is for Chris. Please don't start charging me 'relay fees'. I post here purely for the sake of continuity ok.

Anonymous said...

is it only men's talk over here? :p

Chris Sim said...

Oh Evan... there's nothing like some SYTs to inject some colours in this roomful of boring "Midlifers" you now. Victor will be delighted. He has this annoying habit of snapping candid shots of SYT and little tods dressed as angels. Now he goes for "Ah Pek". Tsk..tsk..tsk... He runs the risk of having his face re-arranged one day, and ends up looking like Mr Potato Head in Toy Story. ROTFL.

Lam Chun See said...

Victor, How come I can post comments in every other person's blog except yours? Looks like this mystery cannot be solved by 2 'laudies' - unless you willing to 'take up the challenge'.

Chris Sim said...

I'm warning you Chun See. One letter 10 cents. The first one I gave chance. The 2nd comment - about 50 words, so you owe me 5 bucks!