Sunday, February 12, 2006

A weighty issue

On this last day of the Lunar New Year, I stepped on the weighing scale and discovered, to my consternation that I've put on 2 kilos! I'm not entirely surprised, though. For the past few days or so, I could feel myself somehow getting "heavier", my movement getting sluggish and clumsy. And that little pouch of mine - the spare tyre - it does seem more "pronounced" than it was 2 weeks ago.

It's all thanks to Chun See. That man advised me to put on hold my resolution to cut down on food for CNY. Now see what he has I have done! Chun See, like Victor, always dishes out sound advice. But I'm afraid the advice he gave me this time is quite.. well, unsound.

Do you believe I've been on an eating binge non-stop since the first day of CNY? It started off with the steamboat reunion dinner comprising prawns, crab, sotong, cockles, abalone, among others. My mum also prepared popiah, a standard fare each CNY. And I could easily consume 4 rolls at one go! The amount of popiah my mum prepared usually last for days. So you can imagine the number of "rolls" I have had since Jan 29.

Then there was the many CNY goodies - pineapple tarts, love letters, chocolate and sweets and the "must-have" bakwa. As if these are not enough, there are those that colleagues brought from home, the so-called "leftovers" from CNY celebrations, doesn't matter that technically CNY is not yet over even as I write. And what about the lohei? I've had at least 4 times of these. So, it's hardly surprising that I put on weight.

Maybe I could take a leaf from our very own MM who is 82 going on 28. He's fit as a fiddler despite his age and has a mind like a 28 year old - quick and always thinking on his feet. The secret to MM's longevity was out in the Sunday Times today:

1. Eat less than we should or eat only 80% full.
2. Exercise every day.
3. Work hard every day.
4. Sleep well every day.

The four points look simple enough for me to follow, though we know it's always easier said than done.

Wait... I have a plan. If all else fail, I'd do just what Garfield, the FAT cat did. In one of this famous cartoon strip, Garfield was standing just in front of a huge hippo, grinning from ear to ear as usual. The caption reads:

If you feel insecure and FAT, just hang out with friends who are FATTER than you.

Now, to devise a plan to make Victor, one of the BAGUS gang, FAAATTER than I am .... LOL.

Category: Musings

11 comments:

Victor said...

I have read about my character according to my Chinese zodiac sign. What was said seemed to be quite true. Forgot to check yours. One of your traits must be that you always blame others for your own shortcomings, am I right? (Sorry for the unintended pun.) Please lah. Have some self-control despite what people say ok. Don't interprete what they say to suit yourself. They only meant it as a joke.

And if this trait is not stated in your Chinese zodiac sign, don't forget to check out the star you are born under too. Or ask the would-be fortune-teller in our office (you know who I am talking about).

Anonymous said...

while it looks like ive been disappearing from the blogging scene & commenting on the blogs, im still stalking around~! =x

cny is finally over, and my hard disk is finally back haha..

all ive got to say to the 3 musketeers is..

keep on blogging, though there are many issues you couldnt blog about, you blogging is how i got to know you. :)

- EteL

Chris Sim said...

Oh pleaszz Victor! Where's your sense of fun? Do all "laudies" behave the way you do? Have you lost your tongue and cheek, my friend? Surely the clever monkey should realise that this is a "tongue-in-cheek" post meant to draw a smile on everybody's face?

Hi Etel, long time no see! Glad to hear from you again. Hmmm.. your blog is eerily quiet Etel. But am glad to see your latest post dated 13 Feb. You too keep on blogging!

Anonymous said...

etel has been blogging in her livejournal lol...

ah i love popiah too...been dying to make the DIY ones. do u hv a recipe for that? and where does your mum get the popiah skin? some ppl told me to get the frozen ones meant for deepfrying spring rolls but really, that wont do! would appreciate this little favor, get the recipe for me? thx :p

CNY is finally over, time to detox! and btw, your post is really funny...am laughing while reading...you do hv a sense of humor! pardon me for finding out only now.

cheers!

Victor said...

Evan, there is a traditional popiah skin manufacturer at Joo Chiat Road. I passed by the other day and the shop was still there although it was closed for CNY. They make the popiah skins there and then, twirling a big lump of dough and then touching a flat hot work lightly to make a popiah skin. You should see how they do it. It's quite artistic, like a dance.

Anonymous said...

LOL...victor, so u really appreciate popiah dance don't u? *chuckles* but joo chiat is abit far for me leh, i'm staying in sembawang. u all rich ppl got car ok lah, i'm poor, only got my 2 'kar'... any place nearer to north or west side?

Chris Sim said...

Evan, I'll try get my mum's popiah recipe and blog about it. Actually, my mum, like many in her generation, uses a lot of "agaration" (meaning estimation) in their cooking.

But I've been wanting to get hold of my mum's recipe for awhile. Or else, these recipe will go when my mum makes her exit one day. She also cooks excellent braised ducks, and "pumpkin" noodles, just to name a few.

Lam Chun See said...

Chris, you have been cheating on your CNY diet. How come no mention of ice-cream, keropok and sassi. When we were kids, we always look forward to CNY becos that's the only time we have (practically) unlimited soft drinks.

Anonymous said...

sure sure, bring em' all on! popiah, braised duck, pumpkin noodles, i want em' all....pls! thanks in advance :p

Chris Sim said...

I can't seem to shake of those pounds, Chun See! Now I can never be a supermodel. Sniff.

"Free-flow" of soft drinks during CNY? Yes! I remember I much prefered "FANTA" orange. And those peanuts and milk sweets with "edible" wrappers? They still can be found during CNY.

Lam Chun See said...

I am 'slightly' older than you. My time, it was Framroz, Green Spot and F&N.