Thursday, July 20, 2006

Her Daddy, my Mummy

Everything was so lovey-dovey back then. And terms of endearments punctuated our every sentence.

"Honey, dinner is served."

"Darling, could you pass me the towel?"

"You're such a sweetie dear!"

Since the arrival of the first "stork" fourteen years ago, such endearments seem to have all but disappeared.

These days, if it's not "ooi, move aside you're blocking the TV!", than it's more often then not, "Daddy, please fetch your boy to the tournament tomorrow." By the way, if, for some reasons, you haven't got the drift, that's my wife speaking.

I admit it was kinda cute when it first started. But it was meant to be a joke, and supposed to be just a passing phase. We see it on TV all the time - spouses calling each other "Daddy" and "Mummy", more so if we were to use Mandarin - "老爸" (Daddy) and "老妈" (Mummy).

But the cuteness has since worn off many Christmases ago. In fact, I'm beginning to find it downright embarrassing when my wife uses the "D" word on me within the earshot of strangers in public. It's "sick", like the way some folks do when they address their pets as their "baby".

But never mind the pets. Though I've tried to refrain from calling my wife "mummy" and has met with some degree of success, the Slim Lady is finding it quite an uphill chore to stop using the "D" word. After all, old habits, as we know, die hard. What's gonna happen when our kids grow up and have kids of their own? Are we going to address each other as "Ah Kong" (Granddad) and "Ah Mah" (Grandma)? I shudder.

Category: Musings

3 comments:

Victor said...

One more thing - you seem to have also forgotten (or forgotten to mention) about the phrase "I love you". As the "kopi Ah Soh" in the show "I Not Stupid Too" said, this phrase very powderful one.

iml said...

Guess, you should be the one to start off first. So you can't get D... out of the mouth how about sweetie? I believe Ps and Qs are still very important esp to those we love.

Chris Sim said...

That's so true, "I love u" and the Ps and the Qs... how often do we take our loved ones for granted? But we Asian men are not so demonstrative sometimes, unlike our western counterparts. But Asian women should understand why we are so :P