Saturday, July 15, 2006

The One

Every once in a while, my mum would quip that one among her children would take after her passion for cooking. My elder sis is single and staying with mum. My kid brother waits to be served at the dining table. Though my younger sister is married and a housewife, she cooks simply - and horribly (pity my bro-in-law and my niece).

I must be The One :P

I guess it's a matter of personal interest. I've always loved cooking, just don't ask me to wash up. I'm the one who's always asking my mum how she cooks this and that, what ingredient to buy and how to cook it. Yes, you can say I'm the kid with the passion for cooking (and eating), unlike my siblings, whose passion is simply to eat.

Thanks to my mum, I've learned to whip out a mean pot of laksa, curry, pumpkin noodle, and yes simple dishes like sesame oil chicken and fried fish, and more elaborate ones like popiah and steamboat, just to name a few.

Just the other day, the Slim Lady told me that she's not tasted my glutinous for a long time. Yeah, the last I cooked this dish was years ago. And I remembered how my colleagues were raving and ranting about how good it tasted. No, I'm not blowing my trumpet. Just take a look a the pics.





Doesn't it look yummy? You salivating, yet? Hahaha...

Okay, so the pork was a little tough, but the dish really tasted as good as it looked. Generous amount of mushrooms and dried shrimps, topped with fried shallots and spring onion. You would never get this from the foodstalls.

The Slim Lady luurrrves it; but I ate just a little, with enough to spare for my colleagues on Monday (I hope). I can't explain this, but somehow, the cook always has no appetite for the food he/she whips out. Strange but true. My mum used to express the same sentiments...

Anyway, if you wanna try out the dish yourself, here are the ingredients:

Ingredients

  • Half kilo of glutinous rice (soaked in water for half hour)
  • Dried mushrooms (soaked in water for half hour, than cut into shredded size)
  • Dried Shrimp (soaked in water for half hour)
  • Pork
  • Spring onion
  • Shallot
  • Dark sauce
  • Salts
  • MSG (optional)


Method


  1. Drain dried shrimps and throw into the wok. Stir until fragrant. Then throw in the mushrooms and stir. Followed by the pork. Stir. Add 2 tablespoon dark sauce. Stir. Dish out and put aside.
  2. Drain rice and throw into wok. Stir fry. Add 2 tablespoon dark sauce. Stir fry.
  3. Add ingredients No 1 (not all of it; set aside 1/3 for later use). Stir fry. Add salts and MSG (optional). Stir fry. Remove the rice from the wok.
  4. Divide the rice and place it into two big bowls. Microwave each bowl for 24 minutes (stirring the rice at every 12 minutes interval).
  5. When cooked, sprinkle the glutinous rice with the 1/3 of ingredients that was placed aside earlier. Then sprinkle fried shallot and spring onion. Ready to serve.

Bon Appetite.

Category: Food

11 comments:

iml said...

Mum must be very proud of you :)
You are what you eat.

Victor said...

Chris brought a piece, no a morsel, for me to eat, I mean to try the taste this morning. I can attest to it - man, it was heavenly. I can only say that I wished he had been more generous with the portion he brought for me. :)

Chris, in your instructions, you didn't use any oil for stir frying? Sure or not?

Chris Sim said...

Hello Victor, a morsel? pse lah. It's more than a mouthful, ok? It appeared to be a morsel to you because you simply gulped it down in one mouthful. Your mouth too big mah:P

The use of oil is implicit lah. And the amount to use is strictly up to individual. "Agaration" is the world mah.

iml - True, we're what we eat. And I live to eat, unlike most people who eat to live. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Can I invite you for lunch?

I drive, you cook!

Anonymous said...

OMG chris, u must do this more often. cook and post up the pics + recipe, like what i do LOL! your glutinous rice looks absolutely scrumptious!! i would definitely love some :p but just too bad my "area of interest" is not in chinese cooking or malay kueh. i prefer the western, italian & french desserts coz they're more challenging to make :p

anyway, well done The One, keep up the good work!!

Chris Sim said...

Evan - I still haven't quite achieved the effect I want that I've seen in your pics. Yours look absolutely professional!

I bake too, actually, simple butter cake. Yeah, guess I'll cook more and blog about it. In a way, you inspired me :P

Alex - Are we ready for the spin yet? Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

chris, i don't take professional photos ok. just a beginner only. if u think my photos look great, wait til u visit blogs like chubby hubby, delicious days etc. but then, im not sure if u wanna hear some tips from an amateur like me? first of all, the key to taking great photos is the lighting. u don't hv to use what the pros use, like those umbrella or box. for me, i use table lamps. in fact, i am so kiasu that i use 3-4 lamps. one or two must be a daylight bulb. then, play with your cam's white balance. and then, try to use white crockery. coz white contrasts with the color of the dish, making it more outstanding. if u don't hv white plates, at least use a single color. and of coz u might wanna do a little investment on table cloths, place mats, wrapping papers, acrylic boards. if u don't want too fanciful background colors, then get basic ones like white (mahjong paper), khaki, brown, black etc. but i still think lighting is the most impt factor. make sure u hv enough lights. hope that helps!

Chris Sim said...

Evan, I've visited chubb hubby thru your blog. Man, his blog is very "sophisticated". And I'm just a boorish chap. Hee.

I can just visualise your hubby moving the table lamps around to help you with your photo-taking. Ha. Thanks for the tips, esp the one one mahjong paper and white crockery. I also noticed your use of flowers to make your photo "prettier". Artistic.

c a r c a r said...

oh my! what a delicious dish!!

hello chris, this is carcar frm singapore too...

get to know your blog frm iml..

it looks awesome! when will you cook it again?

hehehe...

Chris Sim said...

Hi carcar...

Thanks. This weekend, perhaps. There wasn't enough to go around the last time. Gonna cook more this time round. Hee.

Thanks for dropping by. Want a sample? :P

Lam Chun See said...

Thanks for the recipe. Reminds me of my mum's version which we missed terribly. I'll teach my maid to try your recipe (no way my missus and I going to do it ourselves).