Saturday, August 19, 2006

My Army Daze. The day after .....

Long as it was, my enlistment day had to end somewhere. That was at about 2359H, when the instructors told us to "light-off". That was their way of telling us, "Recruits, now you can sleep!" I don't think it was just me; but as soon as our botak heads hit our beds, we were sleeping like babies. We had never been so shag and exhausted in our life! Of course, we had no idea then that life in the army would only get worse.

Then, as I lay asleep in the squeaky bed, deep in my dreamland, I heard, as did many of my platoon-mates, a voice that went "Golf company, wake up! Golf company, wake up!" It was only 5 am. Huh? Time to wake up? And I thought I only caught a wink! The voice went on for a good 5 minutes, between intervals. If I tried hard enough, I could still hear that deep and loud voice, which belonged to a fella recruit named Jeffrey Ong. I remember how on the ball (an army lingo - more on that in subsequent post) Jeffrey was. He was always the first to rise in the morning, the first to cross the finishing line during the IPPT, and if given a chance, I suspect he would be the first to be in the front line to fight for our country. Basically, he was all that I wasn't. But he also became the platoon's "human" alarm clock (self-appointed). LOL.

We were always sleep-deprived. And I missed the sun badly. The moon? It was shining when we light-off at 2359H, and shining still when we rose at 0500H, sometimes earlier at 0430H if we had a shooting range exercise. I hated the moon!

Many of us had never shared much personal time and space with others the way we did during the BMT. Imagine having to do so with recruits of different shapes and sizes, the fit and the weak, the meek and the garang, the bright and the sotong. This is communal living quite unlike those we have with our neighbors, friends and relatives. And like a husband and wife team, it's important that we get along, or life would have been one living hell.

Happily, got along we did. We had no choice. If someone blunders up, the whole platoon got punished. So we were forced to help one another, to complete a task in a specific time as instructed by the instructors.

My fellow recruits-in-suffering

I have vague memories of my fella recruits. Other than Jeffrey, there was lanky Gilbert Leong whom I had caught on TV once talking about, if my memories serve, some sort of investment in a TV programme. He was really tall, and was the one who was always humming songs like "Tie a yellow-ribbon round the old oak tree" in the bunk, especially during book-out time. He was also a bit of a drama king. Once we were told to go fight a bush fire (don't ask me why, but since when had recruits become firemen?), I lost my footing and fell on a rocky ground. Gilbert started shouting, "Casualty! Casualty! Someone fell! Casualty!" Damn drama, man!

There was the very courteous Wee Tee (can't recall his surname). I remembered him because he was scolded by the OC for his good-manners. You see, the instructors and the OC would tell us recruits to "drop down 20" at their every whim and fancy. This is the army lingo to tell us to do 20 push-ups as a form of punishment. Once we had done so, we must ask permission to stand up; so we went, "permission to recover, Sir?!". The instructors or the OC would usually respond, "carry on" unless they want to tekan (another lingo) us. So in this instance, when our OC said, "carry on", our friend Wee Tee quipped chirppily, "thank you, sir", to which our OC shouted, "Don't be a cartoon! When I say RECOVER, don't thank me! There's no Thank You in the army!!" How's that for friendly forces? Hee.

Within days in the BMT, one could also tell the sotongs or blur kings from the smart-alecks, the keng kings (one who malingers) from the hardworking. The blur kings are the one who fumble over things, and who couldn't seem to understand simple instructions. There was this chap Low Chin Fie, who asked his mum to sew up the opening of the pockets of his army pants, when the instructions from the instructors were to just sew up the hems of the pockets. It was funny, but the blur kings are usually the one who inadvertently sabo the whole platoon. There were also some who weren't blur but acted blur, very much like the keng kings. The latter are those who malinger to avoid work. I remember a chap called Anthony Liang, who feigned a sprained-ankle just to avoid going on exercise. I knew because I saw him in the toilet walking up-right instead of limping the way he did out in the open, especially in front of the instructors. But I didn't blow the whistle. Don't ask me why.

I remember Ng Fatt Keong, who became a photographer for Pioneer Magazine (I think he signed on as a regular).

Blur kings, keng kings or smarty-pants, we were forced to stick together come hell or high water. We trained together, suffered together, and I'd like to think that we came out of the BMT ordeal a fitter, a more disciplined, and overall, a better person.

Some wonderful friendships were formed out of the camaraderie we experienced during BMT. I've lost touch with my buddy Tan Kian Guan and often wonder the whereabout of him or what has become of him. I'm sorry I can't remember many of the rest of chaps, and even if I were to run into them on the street, I doubt I could even recognise them. Not even the platoon's photo may be of help.....

27th Intake Basic Military Training
Golf Coy Platoon 28
23rd March 83 - 17th June 83


Category: Yesteryear

26 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Which one are you? This photo is worse than my book review man.

Victor said...

Let me blow the whistle on Chris this time. Middle row, third from right. Handsome, wasn't he? But don't forget that it was 23 years ago, ROTFLOL.

Victor said...

Forgot to mention. Not very tall too. Wahaha.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Temasek green! The training must be damn siong those days. Glad you survived, I had the camo #4 uniform.

Btw the one in middle row, 3rd from right looks like a "siao-on". Head so high even when taking photo!

iml said...

At the end of it all, would you say NS has indeed toughen you? More appreciative towards life?

Lam Chun See said...

Wah Chris, you really take the 'chest out stomache in' instruction seriously hor.

Chris Sim said...

Liling - yeah... indeed it has. The army is where we boys grow into men. Sure we sweat a lot. Having said that, I guess many of us didn't really appreciate being in the army then. SAF? The term used then was just "serve and f*** off" (pardon my expression). But after being made reference of as just being a tiny "red dot" one time too many by some regional leaders, I realise that the army is really a necessary devil. If given a chance to serve all over again, I'll do so willingly and proudly! Ahemm.

Chris Sim said...

Three rows of soldiers
Tall and upright
Looking smart with their heads shaven
Looking all alike

You got it wrong, you really did
The chap you pointed
He's not Chris
Handsome though, he may be

Where, oh where is Chris??
The one you're searching
Well, perhaps he sat,
Or perhaps he was standing

Either one,
I'm not telling
The whereabout of Chris
I'd just keep you guessing

I shan't spoil the fun
No, I really shan't
But here's a clue
I'd feel sorry for you

Chris' got four eyes
This is but a hint
And if you look closer
He's the soldier with a dimple under his chin


LOL

Victor said...

Who are you trying to fool,
Whose leg do you want to pull,
The third one from right, middle row whom I mock,
If that's not you I chop off my c***.

Chris Sim said...

The monkey speaks
So vain is he
He thinks he's right
Just look at his pride

But I'm not kidding
I really am not
Your stinky c***
I'll feed it to the dog

Lam Chun See said...

Heh guys, jus becos we are discussing army daze doesn't mean we have to use army lingo. Remember yr age and the young girls reading this blog.

Chris Sim said...

Yes, sir!!

Victor, the overgrown cheeko pek started it first!

Victor said...

Yes moderator. I am so sorry that I just got carried away. When I am in a poetic mood, I just grab any rhyming word that comes along. But I did self censorship what. Just hope that the gahmen will not feature me in the National Day Rally next year because of this. :p

Chris, you may want to delete my offending comment (and yours too). If not, wait OC put you on charge then you know.

Lam Chun See said...

In that case, Victor, you take 2 extra (blog artiles) this weekend!

Chris Sim said...

Forgot to add. TALKING COCK was featured on our national TV. By our PM, no less.
:P

Victor said...

Since you quoted him, I think it is quite safe for me to do the same:

"Information is faster and more plentiful, but not necessarily more accurate. There'll be half-truths and untruths and you won't know which is which."

A case in point is the photo you posted here - you won't know who is who.

Chun See, this is fair and decent comment, right?

iml said...

That's the way man!

Victor said...

Thanks iml. Okay let me try a more decent poem:

"But Chris's still adamant,
That he's not that man,
Despite another colleague pointing the same,
His denial is simply lame.

Alex please choose too,
Tell us Chris is who,
Three strikes and out goes Chris,
And we'll know what the truth is."


How's this one, iml and Chun See?

Victor said...

I just realised this mistake,
Which I gotta put straight,
It was not me who started first,
Who first used the f*** word which is worse?

Wahaha.

Victor said...

I've been unfairly accused,
Of using language that I abused,
And given extra blogging duty,
While the other offending party goes scot-free.

Is this the army,
Or is it the OC,
Injustice is done unto me,
Guess I'll just have to let it be.

Chris Sim said...

Er.. victor... I think IML wrote the "that's the , man" in reference to my comment that if I were to serve NS again, I would do so willingly and proudly. Hee.

I don't know about the rest, but I find it exasperating trying to communicate with a man who chooses to respond in a lyrical and poetic fashion.... sigh. Quite irritating, if you were to ask me. Ha.

Victor said...

That's so you, Chris. Claiming all the credit but leaving others to take the blame.

One more thing - own medicine always tastes more bitter.

Anonymous said...

Don't think Chris would be sitting, he's a little too short. How about the 5th from the right, on the middle row?

1 lunch if I got it right!

Chris Sim said...

Alex, all I can say is get your new car ready and be prepared to buy me lunch. Monday sounds good. Our dear friend Vic is all ready to do the unthinkable with the knife.

Victor said...

Here's the c***less (clueless) man speaking,
Not that I decided without thinking,
That man really looks more like Chris now,
Which only means Chris has changed a lot somehow.

I owe Chris an apology,
I must tell him sorry,
Lucky I didn't spell out that word,
Otherwise I might have lost my bird.

Chris Sim said...

Apology accepted. But a man of honour should do what he promised to do. So, when is "Victoria" gonna leave a comment on my blog? ROTFL.