Sunday, August 27, 2006

Two's company, but EIGHT ???


Give that man, and the woman behind the man, a medal. I'm referring to an article in today's ST about a couple with eight kids, of course. Incidentally, the blessed man, Joseph Kwok, happened to be the brother of a former colleague.

The Slim Lady and I decided to "close factory" and stop at two, after the arrival of Junior in 1992. We have a host of reasons for doing so. Financial is one; the fear of parenting and the responsibility that comes with it is another. And yes, admittedly, we took that decision for a selfish reason too, for having kids would surely take away a lot of our personal time.

But I do like a big family! Well, maybe not eight, but at least four. There would be challenges - bickering kids, complaints on unfairness and the danger of turning the house topsy-turvy. But they make for a family that's bustling with life, laughter and joy, not to mention headache, of course. But the headache pales in comparision with the family-togetherness brought about by the kids. I realise, through the years and as I mellow in age, that perhaps my perception has changed. Yes, I do long for a big family. I can't turn back the clock and this is something that I much regret.

Let's turn the focus on the Kwok's family. See how happy and contented Joseph's family is. Just look at their photos - the kids are all smile, the parents, too. They are happy kids, the youngest being four and the oldest 20. All appear to be well-adjusted and sensible. They may not have the latest toys or gadgets, nor do they dine out very often. But what is not lacking is the love that prevails in the family. The family of 10 survives on Joseph's monthly take-home pay of $3200, no mean feat considering today's standard of living. How I admire the couple.

The "hardware" in the factory may have become rusty and act a little quirky, but I've no doubt that the Slim Lady and I could still father a child or two. But being eight years shy of crossing the half-century mark (my wife's two years younger), I do worry about people mistaking us as grandparents. I guess it's too little too late for us, not that the Slim Lady is willing anyway. It's all wishful thinking on my part. And I may have to take her forcefully, if I have too :P

But I've done my maths. The youngest child, Antoine, is just four. And if Mrs Kwok was reported to be 45, that means she had the boy when she was 42. My wife is relative younger. Besides, it's not as if I'm 50, or 54 :P There's hope yet.

Years ago, another colleague of mine was also featured on TV with her day-to-day life as a mother of five. Again, it evoked that feeling in me, the feeling of joy in having a big and boisterous family.


Category: Family

8 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Wah - you another 听话 type. Even tho factory closed liao, still help to promote PM's population msg. BTW, are you sure you did not see the Stop At Two ad I mentioned in my recent post?

Victor said...

Chris, nothing you say will make me reopen my factory, not that I can't at 50, mind you. (I can't speak for people aged 54 though.) I've already done my national service, in every sense of that phrase.

iml said...

Nothing but admiration to mummy kwok. I just had to blog about them too. Never knew what it's like to have a huge family. I came from a family of two. Mum had us via cesarean. In those days 40odd years ago, it was a big risk.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See - During the "two is enough" campaign, I was still in primary school. In any case, I don't think I would have heed what the gahmen proposed anyway. Having kids is really a private affair. It's like they trying to "play God". No amount of incentive would have swayed me, even if I had chosen to stop at one. I'm quite far from the 听话 type you thought I am.

Victor - You better not. Then where got time to blog? Your blog already got so much spider web leow ... hahaha

Liling - yes... they are truly the poster couple for our "make more babies" campaign hor? Both my parents have big families. My parents have four kids. And I have two. The figure just gets smaller and smaller. Sigh.

Lam Chun See said...

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time our friend boasts about his ability to do certain things.

Victor said...

If your friend boasts 3 or 4 times about his ability to do certain things, it probably means that he really can (sorry to those who can't - no offence meant). By the way, are you talking about the boastful Chris?

Anonymous said...

chris!! how r u? juz to let u know i tagged u for a meme. lets see if u wanna do it. pls visit my blog for more details. if u don't already know, i've moved to blogspot and here's my new blog :

http://bossacafez.blogspot.com

Chris Sim said...

Hi there Evan. Yes, I noted you've a new URL. Welcome to blogspot! Thanks for tagging me for a meme. It's weird... I just caught "Super Size Me" during lunch at work, and man, that movie freaks me out. And here you are asking me about the "5 things to eat before my time is up"??!!! I have quite a few.... hmmmm... thinking hard.... for my next post. Hee.