Thursday, August 31, 2006

Five things to eat before my time is up

Gee... I must be so out of touch with the young people of today. Evan tagged me for a "meme". What on earth was that? I googled and deduced that when someone "tags" you for a "meme" with a particular theme, you blog about the theme (and perhaps your are expected to tag others to continue the meme??) Thank God for the Internet - I could pretend to be young and keep up with the young. :P

So, what's the five "die-die-must-eat" food before I go? Though I'm a foodie, I have simple taste... and not very sophisticated one at that.

1. Hainanese Chicken Rice. Yes, like Evan, this is on the top of my list. For me, the secret in tasty Chicken Rice lies in the chillie. I don't have a particular favourite stall, but I do know the stalls to avoid. The one at Banquet in East Point serves pretty decent Hainanese Chicken Rice. So does a stall at Holland Village which I just patronised with Victor and a colleague last week. Can't remember the unit number, but if you'd buy me a plate, I could point out the stall to you :P

2. Pumpkin Noodle. One of my mum's specialty. It's cheap and simple to prepared - pumpkin, dried shrimps, fish cakes and lots of Chye-Sim. I like my pumpkin noodle with lots of cut chillie padi and fried shallots. It always makes me sweat and crave for more. I usually eat two bowls - BIG bowls that we usually use to serve soup.

3. The 合记五香贯肠 at Maxwell Road Food Centre 01-97. I practically grew up eating the ngor hiang and the guan chang from this stall which was originally located at China Street, a stone's throw away from Club Street where I grew up. I particularly like the crispy fried egg slices - tasty, crunchy and not too oily. And the sweet chilli sauce is simply fabulous! Don't quite fancy the egg-white sauce, though.

4. Char Kway Teow - The one at Hill Street used to be my favourite. But alas, it has shifted and I can't remember where. A close second is the stall at Ghim Moh Food Centre. At $3, it is served with a generous among of cockles, hmmmm... my favourite!

5. The "Buddha Jumps Over the Wall" at the Prima Tower Revolving Restaurant. At $10000 per pot (for a table of 8, I think), woa.... I've yet to try, but die die also must get the money - rob or steal or kill - to try before I go! And yes, the Peking duck in the same restaurant looks saliva-dripping good too. What? Oh... that's SIX food I want to try before I go hah? Hmmmm...

Category: Food

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow chris, that's fast!! yes, u told me abt your mum's pumpkin noodle...bet its really really good! yea u guess it right, a meme is something ppl pass to u and u blog abt it and pass it on. funny name huh?

$10,000 for a table of 8 to eat fo tiao qiang? goodness....i'd make my own and it will cost me less than a hundred bucks :p

Las montañas said...

strangely, I don't feel the urge to list any fav food. perhaps I just had lunch. *burp*

Chris Sim said...

Oops ... it's $1,000 and NOT $10,000. Sorry Evan, I have stumpy fingers... You can make the dish for less then $100? You always tempt uncle Vic and me one lah. Just like you did with your popiah. We'll never have the chance to sample one lah. Sigh.

Chris Sim said...

So la montanas. Have you digested your lunch? You sound like a foodie leh. I tag you with the meme lah. Blog about it leh :P

Victor said...

Chris, 你真听话。不,我应该说,“真听Evan 的话。

Anonymous said...

听话有错 meh? vic 叔叔,为什么你还没有 do the meme i tagged u? 不要跟你好了啦!!