Sunday, September 03, 2006

Time to Mini Size Me .....

I love my office. It never fails to remind me just how fat (and ugly) and unhealthy I am. To promote healthy and clean (as in non-toxic) living to its staff (not that we drink and be merry all day in the office, mind you), my office devoted a week from 28 Aug - 1 Sep to what it called the "Body Wellness Week". A host of programmes were lined up to make us workers more aware of what healthy and clean living is all about.

To start off, there was the health-screening by NKF. The screening was pretty basic because it was free (the sales pitch would come later). But it's detailed enough to make me realise just how out of shape I was. Never mind that I've always thought I was in shape, like everyone else - just that my shape is round. But I've learned that I'm at least 5 kg overweight, my body has an excess of 9% fat, and the darnest of all, that my total cholesterol level was on the high side. Well, can't say that I'm really surprised, all thanks to the company of BAGUS, my love for oily and fried food and the lack of sexercise.

Then, there was a talk on SinCity Toxicity by the experts on factors contributing to the toxicity in our daily lives and ways of eliminating the toxins in our bodies. Sorry I was just too lethargic to attend this talk, probably due to the high toxin content in my body. But retail therapy is a different story all together, in the form of a Body Wellness Bazaar right at the glass atrium. Items on sales included organic wheat and barley grass powder, herbal tea and honey, and assortment of nuts that the shop claimed contained no sugar, oil and salt. What they didn't advertise was that they also tasted rather BLAND.

Then I catch the movie "Super Size Me" during lunch time at the auditorium, about a burger bugger who very foolishly decided to abuse his body by subjecting it to a McDonald's binge for a month - yes, nothing but 3 McDonald’s meals a day - just to prove that fast food is really the food from hell, and that when we patronise McDonald's, or any of the fast food chains for that matter, we don't just pay with our wallets, but with our health as well. The movie was sobering, entertaining and at times hilarious. But I don't quite agree with what the chap (his name is Morgan Spurlock - the actor, director and producer all rolled into one) was doing in the film. I mean anyone would get fat like him just gorging on hamburgers and fries all day. On the local context, I guess a 3-meal Char Kway Teow per day for a month would do the same "magic". Still, there's no deny what too much of a "good thing" would do to our health. Go rent the movie if you haven't seen it. Save your kids, and save yourself. It already saved mine! Time to detox and Mini Size Me. Serious.



Category: Health

10 comments:

Victor said...

Sorry Chris, your health message is lost on me, all because of the following glaring grammatical and factual errors:

I like me office - Whose style of speech are you trying to emulate? A Hispanic American kid?

my body has an access of 9% fat - Surely you meant that you had an excess of 9% fat (and a total of 95%)? Haha.

(Don't forget that there are young people reading your blog, hoping to improve their standard of English. Tsk, tsk, tsk. *Shaking my head*.)

all thanks to the company of BAGUS - Again, you are blaming others for your own shortcomings.

Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

aiya, whats so bad about using english that's less than perfect? its the content thats more important.

chris, u r in your 40s. so 5kg overweight is nothing! stop making a mountain out of a molehill! LOL but of coz, healthy living & eating is something we owe it to ourselves to do.

yup its true...the movie's pretty irrelevant, only using mcdonalds which is quite unfair. won't char kway teow (or KFC) do the same thing? you're darn right abt it!

Chris Sim said...

Victor, there's nothing wrong with the way I write. What I need is a proof-reader, in the form of Uncle Vic. Thanks hor.

Evan, well said. But Uncle Vic, being a worthsmith, I mean Wordsmith, demands nothing less then "perfect" English lor. Never mind that he confused fiance with fiancee hor? Hee. And to think that he even insulted the Hispanics in the US of A in the course of "insulting" me. Tsk..Tsk..Tsk.. *shaking my head and rolling my eyes*. As for the 5 kg overweight. I still aspire to be a male model, you know? Albeit the "uncle category". We'll all grow old, but the least we could do is to make sure that we grow old "gracefully". Right? Like our charming Uncle Victor. He's really quite handsome... if not for his face. LOL.

Anonymous said...

wahahahhaaaaaa!! uncle vic is really quite handsome, if not for his face? this reminds me of the saying in hokkien...後面看流口水﹐前面看冒冷汗.

oops, better 2b respectful of the elders :p

iml said...

Everything that taste bad is good. For you that is.
As you progress into your 40s, you should keeping fit. After all, you want to look good beside your better half. Right?

Chris Sim said...

Evan, wah your hokkien 一流啊!But Uncle Vic quite handsome really, not joking.... say about 30 years ago lah. ROTFL.

Liling - you're absolutely right! Must not look like an old man beside my wife hor... sekali pple thought I'm the grandfather. Hehe. I'm having this crazy idea to cut down my weight. Mon thru Fri, suffer by refraining from eating fried stuff or stuff with too high fat content. Well, maybe mid week on Wed can indulge a little lah.. like include one fried chicken wing during dinner. Then come Weekend, can afford to eat more "sinful" stuff like ice-cream, KFC, bah chor mee.... This is gonna be my new diet routine. See if it works. Must pray for will-power. Heh.

iml said...

I wish you all the best!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys must be real fre/e, time to go health screening (during office hours), time to watch movies too!

Any vacancies on your side?

Chris Sim said...

This is about work life balance. A healthy worker is a productive worker. Pure and simple. Glad my bosses realise that. You better get out of your Alcatraz prison fast ....

Victor said...

Chris, don't be so humble leh. Actually you are also quite handsome what. (Alex, our colleague, can surely vouch for this.) Except only a little lacking in height and... too much in width. ROTFLVVL.