Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Ooouucccchhh !!!


I've got a toothache and it's due to a tooth decay on my left molar. The pain comes and goes when I least expected it. Each time, I numb the pain with pain killer. But tonight's been really awful. The pain has become more intense and the pain killer did not seem to work any more. I was almost moaning in pain. If you've been through a toothache, you would know that the pain has the potential to create havoc in your life - you can't concentrate on what you're doing, you get cranky and annoyed easily, barking and yelling at the kids (and sometimes the spouse) at the slightest irritation. You wear a perpetual frown on your face, and the only way to make you smile is to turn your face up-side down.

The Slim Lady tried to convince me that the only way to nip the problem in the bud (no pun intended) is to have the offending tooth extracted. Well, so did the dentist. This is an option that I've weighed several times, only to have lost my nerve at the 11th hour and opted for the pain killer instead. Yes, I'm afraid of going to the dentist! Go away!

But I guess I shan't procrastinate much longer. I do worry what would happen if the pain were to strike while I'm in the middle of an important meeting. Or when I'm overseas. Or what if I frown and bark at he Slim Lady at the wrong time? Oh... never underestimate the fury of a woman frowned.... Yes, a man's got to do what he's got to do. I'll book that appointment to see the dentist (yet again). Soon. I hope.

Category: Health

11 comments:

Victor said...

Your toothache seems to be not painful enough to keep you from blogging hor? ROTFL. Or was blogging the only way to keep your mind off the pain? No wonder you said that blogging is therapeutic.

The trouble with most of us is that we see the dentist only when we feel the pain although we all know that we should be having regular half-yearly dental checkups. But how many of us have the resolution and the guts (not to mention the money) to keep to the half-yearly appointments? Not many, I suppose. That's why most of us procrastinate until we have no choice. By then, it is too late to save the tooth. I believe that this is what is exactly happening to you now.

Anonymous said...

Now that you're having a toothache, shall we just go for plain porriage for lunch?

Anonymous said...

chris, u said there's a write-up on aun koh (chubby hubby) on 5/9's paper. tuesday rite? how come i cannot find it? under which section?

Chris Sim said...

Evan, it's under the money page. Not so much of a writeup about him. But more on OCBC's dining tie-up with the famous food blogger. Aun Koh has been engaged by the bank to promote the bank's cards. Seems like the bank is "banking" on Chubby Hubby's popularity to increase its client base. The article says Aun Koh would be running a series of blogs from now until December to showcase Japanese, Chinese and Italian cuisines... There was a picture of his face peering out from the newspaper he seemed to be reading...

Chris Sim said...

Vic and Alex, the pain, as I described comes and goes. At the time of writing that post, the pain was gone, just as I'm sure by lunch time today, the pain would be gone too. So no porridge pse. U still own me one treat hor, Alex. Hee.

Lam Chun See said...

I think this is not the first time Chris tells us of his fear of dentist. How come you still such a kid about such things? I can imagine the redicule the slim lady must have subjected you to.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, guess the 50% dental claim is not attractive for our friend here to face up to his fears. Ha!

iml said...

You can not run away from the dentist forever. Instead visiting her every 6 months would keep toothache at bay. If you need to do a root canal, I can introduce you, mine. She is absolutely a professional in her job.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See - That was in Feb. Alas, the pain has come back and haunt me. :((

Alex - It's really pathetic don't you think so? The subsidies we getting from the CS, not to mention the paltry $10 we claim for our medical bills. It's high time they review the amount man.

Liling - Did you say "She"? Sorry Liling, at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I much prefer a MALE doctor. Don't ask me why ;P Thanks for your kind offer anyway. Alright, if have to blame, then blame the Slim Lady. See, many years ago, when she was a sweeter young thing, in fact even before I knew her, she was working as a dental assistant. She related a story about how the female doctor she was assisting got into difficulty trying to pull out a tooth of a patient. The dentist lacked the strenght and as she tried to pull out the tooth, she inevitably caused the patient's head to move from side to side. The Slim Lady found it so funny that she burst out laughing and was scolded by the doctor! This is not the end of the joke. When the dentist finally succeeded in pulling out the tooth, she realised that the root of the rotten tooth remained intact in the gum! Till this day, the image of a female dentist trying unsuccessfully to pull out a tooth is still etched in my mind. uh-uh... No female dentist for me. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, our medical benefits are pathetic; but then again, that's NOT an excuse for not visiting the dentist, especially when required!

Face it like a real man!

Lam Chun See said...

Chris, I have zero medical benefits; and biz these days no good; but I had a wisdom tooth extracted a few weeks ago. You hardly feel any pain - it's all in the mind. And today's technology is different from the Slim Lady's time.