Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mum's Pumpkin Noodle


I've mentioned this dish several times in my blog, the last one on the meme that Evan tagged me. Yes, it's definitely something that I would like eat before I go. I learned how to cook it from my mum. In fact, it's mum's specialty. It's a no fuss dish, extremely easy to prepare and good enough to eat. It reminds me very much of the "Kan Chia Mee" used to be sold at China Street near Club Street where I grew up. Having said that, I'm not sure if we could get pumpkin noodle anywhere here in Singapore. The only pumpkin noodle I know and ever tasted was my mum's. And I usually eat at least two bowls! Here's how you prepare the noodle.

Ingredients (for a family of 4)

  • pumpkins (a least 4-6 pieces to make the soup thicker)
  • dried prawns (100g)
  • fish cake
  • chye-sim
  • cut chili (I prefer chili padi)
  • fried shallot
  • salts
  • msg (optional)
  • a big pot of water

Method

  • Fry dried prawn till fragrant
  • Add pumpkins, stir fry. Dish out and place aside
  • Boil the pot of water
  • Throw in pumpkins, stir and let it boil
  • Add sprinkle of salts. Add msg (optional)


Once the soup is done, you could do either two things:
1. Throw in the noodle and cook it as a big pot. In this instance, the noodle has to be consumed fast, or it will become soggy.
2. My preference is to cook the noodle in individual bowl. Pour some of the soup into a sauce pan. Wait for it to boil, then throw in the noodle. Once it's boiled, add the chye-sim. After 30 seconds or so, it's done and then pour the noodle into a bowl. Garnish it with fish cake, fried shallot and cut chili, and the noodle is ready to be served.

I like the noodle with lots of chye-sim, fried shallot and chili padi. You should try this dish at home. The Slim Lady loves it, even the kids. Home-cooked Pumpkin Noodle that I couldn't get elsewhere in Singapore!


Category: Food

5 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, it certainly looks delicious, yummy, mouth-watering, sumptious, scrumptious, etc.

Looks like you are turning from blogger to flogger (food blogger), Chris. If so, very soon I will run out of nice adjectives to describe your food.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

bossacafez said...

wait wait, maybe im senile but where's the noodle? u didnt mention how to go about cooking it, or do u mean use any kind of yellow round noodles will do? i thought the noodles itself were made of pumpkin and you've provided instructions on how to roll the "dough" LOL. anyway even if its normal noodles, u didnt mention in as one of your ingredients too.

iml said...

THIS will be your contribution if ever we have a bloggers' potluck get-together :)

Chris Sim said...

Victor - There are so many of my mum's recipes that I wanna put it down in writing - braised duck, laksa, and the Chinese Hamburger (Pong Bah). Creative man like you NEVER runs out of nice adjestives. LOL

Evan - Sorry gave u the wrong idea. Ya, included in the ingredients is, of course, the noodle which I've overlooked. Hee. But funny how you thought I would make noodle out of pumpkin. After all, when we say Fish-ball Noodle, we don't think noodle made out of fish-ball, do we? LOL.

Liling - Hmmm... maybe not noodle coz it will turn soggy by the time the bloggers meet. I think the glutinous rice is more suitable. Hee.

Anonymous said...

ya? but when we say spinach noodle, like bo cai mian, it MEANS noodles made from spinach right? so, maybe pumpkin is like a veggie, so naturally i would think its a noodle made from pumpkin. anyway, so pumpkin is more or less like a an accompaniment in your pumpkin noodle.