Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Teenage Angst


At 14 years old, Senior Junior is already towering over his old man by almost a head. How fast he grew! He's become more attentive to his appearance, spending what seems look forever in the bathroom combing his hair every morning. Vain is the word. And I've to keep telling him to hurry up or I'd be late for work! And how rebellious he's become! He gets bored easily these days, and is always asking us permission to hang out with his friends after school. If we limit the movement on our kids and impose curfew on them, it's because we parents only have the best interet for our kids. They are at an age most susceptible to peer pressure, and we don't want them to be caught in a situation doing stuff they would regret later in life. I guess we parents in this part of the region tend to me more protective over our kids. And it's not necessary a good thing. Sooner or later, the storks will fly the nest. But I guess it's important to educate them about the danger of mixing with the wrong group of people, or bowing down to peer pressure. Yes, we can't control them, but we could educate them the best we can. There's only so much we could do. The rest is really up to them.

Tell me it's a passing phase. I've been young before (and I'm still YOUNG). But I've never given so much headache to my parents. Never.

Category: Family

3 comments:

Victor said...

Whoa, one post a day since 16 Sep 2006! Remembering what you said about blogging being therapeutic, are you feeling stressed, Chris? Relax a bit okay, I mean, on the young man, not on blogging. He is at this rebellious age when almost everything you say will be taken negatively and interpreted as unwanted intervention in his life.

At one year older, my son is also like that. He spends almost all his waking hours at home in front of the PC, most of the time doing non-serious stuff. He would do it until the wee hours of the morning every night. I would rather he get up and go out with friends sometimes.

Hence the key is balance, my friend.

Lam Chun See said...

Mine is totally different. Sleeps at 10+ each nite.

iml said...

Hmm...looks like we are both in the same boat. I can never outtalk my son in a reasoning debate.