Saturday, August 12, 2006

My Army Daze. The enlistment day .....

Chun See's account on his NS days stirred up memories of my own.

I can't recall much of my emotions on the day I entered the army. But it must have been one of apprehension and fear. Unfortunately, this fear was perpetuated by none other than my mum. She was always telling me how skinny and physically weak I was and how I would definitely suffer when I eventually enlisted for my NS.

The Enlistment Day

Well, that day arrived on 23 March 1983. I remembered how long a day it was. We were told to report first to CMPB where my pal Victor, the downgraded soldier, served as a clerk several years prior to my enlistment. From there, we recruit-to-be were then brought, on a 3-tonner - the first time I was ever onboard an army vehicle, to the jetty at Changi to take an RPL to Pulau Tekong camp, our new home for the next 3 months.

When the RPL finally anchored at the jetty some 45 minutes later, some of us guys might be forgiven for thinking that we had landed in Hawaii. It just showed how much in self-denial many of us were. There were the sun, the sand and the sea, not to mention the abundant coconut trees. The only thing missing were the Hawaiian girls welcoming us with garlands and cooing "aloha". Realities were soon to hit us.

We were the 2nd batch of recruits to be trained at Tekong. The first batch had it easy - they only shifted equipment and stuff from SBMT to Tekong and do area-cleaning most of the time, so were we told.

Back then, Tekong was not very well developed. Instead of proper road, we had earth - red earth. The army bunks were like longhouses. From the Tekong jetty, it was another 20 minutes march to the bunk. And by the time we reached the bunk, most of us were literally covered in dust.

I remember lugging along the huge kit bag, commonly known as the Ali Baba bag, all the way to the bunk. The Ali Baba bag was used to store all the issued items like the army boots, No. 4 uniforms and SOP before we transferred these into our cupboards in our bunk.

On arrival at our bunk, we were told that we've been assigned to Golf company; a company we subsequently learned to be one of the most "on the ball" and siong.

To many of us, the BMT was a rude awakening. Life thus far had been sweet and comfy. We were free to do what we want, answerable only to our parents. And many of us had never left home, save for a couple of nights at chalets with friends or family members.

But once we stepped into Tekong, it was as if we were living on the other side of the globe. The moment we put our stuff in the bunk, and changed to our PT kit as instructed, everything moved in double quick time. We were sworn at by the instructors, told to double up (the military term to run) from one point to another. In the army, you don't walk. No you don't, soldier. You double up from the bunk to the training shed, and double up from the training shed to the cookhouse. There was hardly time for us to breathe. And that aweful and dreadful chin-up bar. Yes, we had to do chin-ups before every meal. If there was hell, then this must be it. I found it almost surreal in the beginning. More about the "physical torture" in subsequent post.

The BMT was also the first time we experienced living with people of other races and of different cultures. Gruelling training aside, it was also a lesson in racial-tolerance and harmonious-living. How often do you get 36 boys - Chinese, Malay, Indian and the Eurasian - all living under the same roof? There were two Sikhs in my group. Have you seen how a Sikh does his turban? Not to sound disrespectful, but it was exactly how my late granny did her ang ku kueh bun. They simply twirled their hair round and round, followed by the turban itself, which is really a piece of long, oblong cloth.

As I said, it was a long day. I remember the hair-cut, or should I say hair-shearing session. All of us were brought to the Hall where the Indian barbers were waiting with their scissors and shearers. It was a dreadful time for most of us, especially those metrosexuals (okay, so that word hadn't been coined yet) with shoulder-length hair. Indeed, it's been said that the inevitable hair-shear is like a rite of passage into NS. But to many, it's a time for them to mourn the loss of their precious locks. As for me, half way through my turn, there was an electricity blackout. I just sat there with my hair looking ridiculously half civy and half army for a good 15-minutes.


Signs of things to come, I remember thinking. And as days turn into nights, and nights turned into weeks, I experienced many aspects of the army I never thought I would. It's not all bad memories; many are bitter sweet.

.......to be continued

Category: Yesteryear

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi chris, dropping by to say hello. hope u had a good weekend. take care!!

Lam Chun See said...

Heh recruit. I asked you to blog about how you became such a romeo, how come you blog about army daze instead?

When I was a pc in Mandai camp, I used to be very amused to see the transformation of 'garang' looking guys into timid looking recruits once their heads were shave.

Chris Sim said...

Hi there Evan! So happy to hear from you. My weekend's ok. And seems like you have quite an adventure on National Day, too huh? Pass that leftover durians over, quick! Cheers!

Chris Sim said...

Permission to blog after the weekend Sir! I got guard duty over the weekend leh :P

Are there any timid ones who looked "garang" after the head-shave? But one thing I observed, we can't tell one batok from the other initially. All the recruits looked alike! Hee.

Victor said...

HEY SOLDIER, YOU WAKE UP YOUR IDEA OKAY!!!???

Have you run out of topics to blog about? Why must you always take inspiration from others? It is more than a nonsensical irritation to me especially when this 'downgraded soldier' can't do the same. But I have my story to tell too and it won't be the same as Chun See's or yours, I can assure you that. Just wait and see.

DO YOU HEAR ME, SOLDIER!!!???

Lam Chun See said...

The downgraded soldier is jealous becos he was not given a 'wife' to take care of.

iml said...

Psst....you know, in 4 years time my son will be going in. I hope this will instill a sense of responsibility in him. Having such a hard time just to get him to keep his room clean!!!

Las montañas said...

aiyoh!! nightmare channel.. *quickly switches off* :)

Las montañas said...

wow.. as I read your post. brings back the memories man! The infamous tekong haunting stories, the 100 metre ranges, the SOC... those were the years! now, t has become tekong holiday chalet!

Victor said...

Chun See, they did not give me a "wife" to take care of. However, they more than compensated by giving me several girlfriends (who are now my old flames). What to do, some men have all the luck and charm.

Chris Sim said...

Hi there Las Montonas. Thanks for dropping by. Ya, I'm sure all of us have our BMT spooky stories to tell ... I'll blog about it too. Have not set foot on Tekong for ages. You're kidding about the chalet thingy, rite? In Tekong?

Victor - I didn't know your old flames were the aunties and their over-age daughters in the CMBT canteen. Your luck and charm, indeed. ROTFL.

Lam Chun See said...

I did a couple of ICTs in Tekong in the 80's. Most were at the camp nearer to the jetty, on right side of road. On one occasion we went to the other camp further in, on left side of road. Which one did you go to?

Chris Sim said...

Ermm... Chun See.. I think it was Camp 1. Memories a little fuzzy... The bunk got lobang one lor... on both side of the room... both end of the room got one entrance one, with no doors... ermmm.. do I sound like a blur sotong... But rest assured I'm not one of those blur kings.... :P

Chris Sim said...

Liling - Another 4 years? I think my son also. I think both wife and I would also be worried. Which parents won't? But I think it's also good for our kids. Toughen them up.

Lam Chun See said...

I remember the first time we had to go for demolition live firing in Safti was a real hassle. By the time we got there after transport from camp to jettty, wait for RPL, to Changi, then by 3 tonner to Safti, plus collecting the live explosive etc etc .. almost whole morning gone, and just to fire 3 circuits for the whole platoon. Got damn mad and complained like crazy at the ICT debrief, asking them to give us more explosives next time.

The following year's ICT they gave us so much explosives, we had not enough time to finish - returning the live explosives was another hassle. Sigh - its a no win situation when you are that far away.

Lam Chun See said...

Chris, next time don't leave out the famous Tekong Taxis.

Chris Sim said...

Chun See, there's a game the army fellas like to play. And it's called the Waiting Game. Much of the morning was wasted because much time was spent waiting for the stores to be drawn, transport to be arranged, etc. Somethings never change. Can't finished the explosives? That because you "exploded" (well, you said you got damn mad and complained wat) the year before. Haha.

The Tekong Taxis? You meant the boat ride from tekong to the mainland? Er... I've never tried them. We recruit where got suka suka book out one, so unlike OC like you can don't catch the RPL but take the Tekong Taxi instead :P