Thursday, November 23, 2006

The mindset of a Civil Servant

Reinvent. Restructure. Revamp. Remake.

These are words often uttered in the Civil Service. So much so that they have become cliche and make some people cringe.

I see where these people are coming from. For the longest time, the impression people have of a Civil Servant is –

  • He's kiasi,
  • He's kiasu,
  • And very kimsiap
  • He's such a nerd!
  • He also “jia leow bee” one (loosely translated in Hokkien, it means he's useless, despite having eaten lots of rice).
Well, nothing is further from the truth.

The Civil Service has transformed, both in its workforce and the way the organization is being run. We are more “happening” then you think. The bosses are kind and compassionate (boss, you reading this?), the workers, efficient, hip, cool and adventurous, what with the 40 and 50-year-olds acting and behaving like they are forever young and going roller-blading and all… Don't take my word for it. Just look at me. Or Victor. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - humility is certainly not one of our virtues. LOL.

But of course, there are always the occasional "black sheep" - people who persist in projecting an image of a civil servant that is out-dated, untrue and inaccurate. I met one of these today. And she almost spoilt my day.

Let's call her "Irene", not to be confused with Serene, whose name suggests that she should be seen more and heard less. LOL. Irene wrote me an email today, telling me that I’ve been successful in my application for a course - Emotional Intelligence (EQ) - scheduled for early December. That's also the time when I’d be going for a trip overseas with my family. I promptly wrote Irene to ask if it was possible for a change of dates. Instead, she replied curtly with these words, "Please get a replacement." Feeling a little perplexed, I reached for the phone and called her. The conversation went something like this:
Me : Irene please

Irene: Ya

Me : Hi Irene, this is Chris... I got your email asking me to get replacement for a course. You mean I have to get someone to replace me?

Irene: Yalah... if not, we paid the course for nothing you know? $400 per person, you know?

Me : Oh, but why did you schedule me on these dates without first consulting me?

Irene: Hello, I sent you an email long ago to inform you about the date you know? (beginning to sound a little agitated)

Me : Ok, ok, calm down, ... Now you see why I need this EQ course? (actually I felt like telling her she needs the course more than me)

Irene: You said it yourself ah (I could almost hear her glee at the other end of the line)

Me : But I really don't recall seeing that email leh (searching for the evidence of that email in my inbox, as I spoke). Can you send me that email again?

Irene: I don't know whether if I still got that email. I juz came back from a long leave you know... so much things to do...

Me thinking: (My fault lah)
Me: So I die die also must find a replacement is it? Is it possible to change the date?

Irene: I dunno if there're other alternative dates because the trainer is from overseas one. (pause). I'll check and get back to you.

Not say I wanna say one. How could someone from HR be so "unprofessional" in the way she handles her "customers"?? These are the kind of officers who's giving the CS a bad name...

Well, what can I say? Other than that it takes all kinds to form an organization, be it in a private or public company.

Another one of my pet peeves is the amount of wastage I see in the office. A recent case in point .... Two days ago, we guys in the office stepped into the Gents and were greeted by a partition that has been erected between the washing basins and the toilet cubicles. We had no idea why the need for the partition. There was nothing in our email to warn us about this “construction”. The partition made the already small toilet even smaller and quite crammed. We simply assumed that perhaps some of the girls, whose toilet is just adjacent to the Gents, probably made a complaint to the management for having accidentally caught sight of something they weren’t supposed to see. Anyway, Victor commented that the girls aren’t supposed to peep into Gent’s door wat. So if they want to peep, even if it's accidental, it's really not the fault of us guys, right? Victor stopped short of saying he's a flasher.... I dunno... ROTFL.

Anyway, to our surprise, yesterday evening, some guys came to dismantle the partition and carted it away. When I ran into the MO (maintenance officer) in the toilet today, I couldn’t resist asking him about the partition. The chap told me that the partition was put up so that in future, in the event of a SARS or Bird Flu outbreak, the main door of the gents could be left perpetually open. This way, there’s no worry of catching germs from wet door handles. Okay, then why tore it down? Because people, the chap added, had been complaining that the toilet is too crammed!

Sigh. I know our gahmen allow U-Turns these days. But what poor planning! And a total waste of tax payers’ money! OUR money! Tsk..tsk... tks.... Why not saved the money and give us 3 months bonus instead of 2.7?

Oh, I forgot to add... we civil servants are also very greedy one. LOL.

Category: Musings

7 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, you ah, always so misleading one. From the beginning of your post, I thought you wanted to pick a fight with CS (and I am NOT talking about civil serpents). My imagination then ran wild. I picture two younger man fighting with two older man during lunch next week. Where's the fairness? You forgot to mention one more trait about civil serpents - they are also very fair one - they will pick an opponent of their own size, er... I mean age. Muahahaha.

Lam Chun See said...

Since your buddy wants to see us fight, let's oblige him.

Chris, I don't side with u on this matter with the HR/Irene. If indeed you have confirmed you availability for the course, then it is your responsibility to inform her. Knowing how short handed gahmen depts are these days, the poor lady probably has to serve many 'customers'. If everyone thinks he is customer & king, it makes life very difficult.

Anyway both needs EQ; but I doubt EQ is acquired by attending a $400 course. So you are right about the wasteful thing.

Both needs better memory, which also cannot be achieved by attending a course.

Conclusion , both shd attend my 5S trg. Much cheaper than overseas trainer I am sure.

BTW u find it very difficult to sign in using the beta blogger a/c these days?

Chris Sim said...

Victor, let's be nice. We dunno who he'll be bringing along for our lunch date, other than Zen. I don't want kena "hantam" by his bodyguards or some secret society members from 90216 you know? LOL. So, lunch first, revenge later....

Chun See, like what I always tell Victor whenever he starts to publicise his blog among colleagues - shameless advertising. Not much different from the way you're advertising your 5S training. Hehe... But back to Irene. You sure sound like a fantastic boss, Chun See. Pse, I never behaved like king, ok? But it's the way she wrote her email that really put me off. So crude and rude and unprofessional. You would think that people in HR are trained in handling people, right? Their EQ should be better than most people mah. What exactly does your 5S training do? Zen wrote something about improving memories izzit? See? Maybe I do need it. Tell me more when we meet... juz in case we run out of topic hor? wahahahaha...

The beta blogger is fantastic. I have not encountered much problem leh.

Victor said...

Chun See said: "Since your buddy wants to see us fight, let's oblige him."

Civil servants though imaginative, are not violent. We prefer to talk things over. 君子动口不动手.

eastcoastlife said...

Oh, you all are civil servants! Wow, got 2.7 months bonus this year leh! So good, GST won't affect you all much.
I agree the government is very wasteful, just because it is ah kong's money so can anyhow spend. Get an outsider to teach EQ? Singapore no talents ah?

Chris Sim said...

Don't be too happy for us yet Eastcoastlife. The 2.7 months bonus is to help us cushion the impending GST hike. Everything happens for a reason one ...

As for the overseas trainer, well, what can I say? From sportsmen to mother-tongue teachers to what have you... Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

Actually I do not see any harm in promoting oneself, one's service or product, as long as it is legal. Missing an opportunity to do so, in whatever manner, is not 'sing mok' (in Cantonese means street-smart). Looking from a wider perspective, the bottom-line is everyone is making a living - be he a top-official right up to an old lady picking cans in the street. There should not be a line drawn saying this 'can' and that 'cannot'. Everything are to be defined by Law & Order (herein lies the civil service mindset). Life is not that exact and definite. It has to be a bit 'greyish'.