Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The not so finer life ....

I just have to blog about this ....

What's the big idea with "The Finer Side", the local TV show featuring the rich and the famous living in the lap of luxury? Each time I caught a glimpse of it, my face turned green like the Incredible Hulk.

It's the kinda life only dreams are made of - the socialite who thinks nothing of blowing 45 grands on a diamond ring at a drop of a hat; the yuppie who flies to his "playground" in Batam in a private jet with a personal pilot, the towkay who collects vintage cars like toys; the tai-tai who indulges in a Spa that costs at least $1800.

What are mere mortals like us supposed to do? Drool while sitting on the old and squeaky armchair of ours in our crammed, modest HDB abode, tearing our hair out in envy?

Oh pleazzeeee.... "The Finer Side" is really not that "fine". It's utterly obscene and smacks of consumerism. Come on, how many people do know live it up the way these people do? Are they for real?

What? Me jealous? You must be kidding ... errmmm... okay, maybe a little. But I'm thankful for what I have. Really. Honestly. Well... ermmm..... maybe .....

But I don't mind a fatter bank account. I don't ask for more - just an additional zero or two to round off the figure ....

And a bigger house - no it doesn't have to be a landed property. A maisonette would be just fine. And I swear I would put up with dripping clothes from the neighbors upstairs.

And a larger car, just a little larger, in case the Slim Lady and I decide to "re-open" our "factory".

See what shows like these did to us mere mortals? Darn! The show should be banned! I must lodge a complaint to SBA!

Aaarrgghhh!

Category: Musings

11 comments:

Victor said...

Aw come on Chris, you are not so bad yourself. Not everyone can jet away on a family getaway during the December school holidays you know? So stop whining, will you?

I am so envious of you.

Anonymous said...

Just a simple meal with friends at Gillman food court is as good as any 10 course dinner in fancy restaurant. Esp when you get on in age and stomach cannot handle rich foods.

Thanks for the lunch yesterday guys.

Anonymous said...

I like to make things simple. It is a fact that no one is borned equal, so naturally if one is rich he will behave in a rich manner, spending as much as he likes within his means. For example, I am not that well off, then contentment should be my life philosophy because if I were compare to those those who are richer than me - I would feel not good enough, but on the other hand if I were to compare to those poorer than me - then I would feel well off. I look at life in this way: when I eat a plate of the famous Queenstown hawker centre char kway teow: "wow it is even better than the one served in the Orchard Road Hotel" If our brain feel good our life would be more meaningful.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Chris is quite sensitive to this sort of news. I remember he was equally indignant with the guy who spents thousands of $$ on his pet.

I believe that if God blessed us with wealth, we have a responsibility to use it wisely.

Anonymous said...

Nice song. One of my favourites.

Chris Sim said...

Victor, I've not travelled for years, believe it or not. Gonna let me hair down and juz not think about work for a while! And take a respite from your "chaking". Hee.

Chun See, it's been a pleasure meeting you and having lunch with you. Pity Zen was a no show. I feel like I know him already leh...

Zen, we must meet if the opportunity arises again. We'll buy you lunch lah. And your bro would in turn buy me and Victor lunch (it's his turn already wat.. haha) You're right on this score, Zen - 人比人气死人。But contentment? How many of us have attained that?

Anonymous said...

There are also other things that we feel indignant about:

This young lady was killed in a car accident. The driver who caused it was not even injured and could walk away. Most likely he was not concentrating on the road or driving a little too fast. Don't we feel indignant that someone lost her life because of another person's carelessless.

Then many of us try to keep our estates and country and yet there are people who anyhow throw litter, and worse still killer litter. Don't we feel indignant.

As for the rich spending lavishly, it might not be a bad thing if we look at it from another angle. The more they spend the more taxes they are paying. The taxes would also be used for the benefits others.

Anonymous said...

Fact is that if a rich man wear a fake branded watch, most believe the watch is real, whereas a poor man wear a real one, most believe it is fake.

Victor said...

Therefore, the trick lies in not letting people know whether you are rich or poor. Neither be too flashy or too shabby.

Chris Sim said...

FR - You're suggestion my "indignation" is misplaced? Come now my friend, I wrote in jest of course. Besides, these are different issues. In any case, I don't think "indignant" is the right word to use. Why should we feel indignant with the rich and famous featured in the show? They are rich because some of them really worked hard for their money. Okay, maybe some of them are born with a silver spoon in the mouths. But this is life. And I don't think we could measure "happiness" in terms of material gain. Yes, money can do wonders, but it cannot guarantee happiness. It also cannot buy us good health. I juz find the show flashy, and a little off taste. As what Vic said, you may be rich, but please do not be a show-off.

Victor - you can run but you can't hide. Rich or poor, people can form their own judgement looking at your life-style, the car you drive, your house, and your dressing. People who wear polo shirt and jeans got mistaken for being a coffee boy, you know, whereas people in office suit were being looked up as bosses and consultant. Sniff.

Chuck - what you wrote is so true. Some people juz have what it takes to look like a million bucks in whatever they wear - fake or real. Like what one of my colleagues said, she would look like a tai-tai if she were to sit on the driver seat of a Mercedes. Victor would look like the tow-kay. I'll look like the Ahmad. Double sniff.

Anonymous said...

Chris - Not to worry, we shall meet one day - even mountain streams will meet eventually. On the subject contentment, have we got a choice in this dog-eat-dog world ? not forgetting the impending 2% increase in GST. Shakespeare says that the world is a stage and all are actors or actresses. So play our part.