Thursday, January 18, 2007

Kidney for sale. Price negotiable

Dr Lee Wei Ling's letter in the ST on why foreigners in Singapore should not be denied a chance at organ transplant appears noble at first. Yes, why shouldn't the foreigners here be given a second chance at life? Are they lesser human than we Singaporeans and PRs?

But she lost me totally, when she advocated lifting the ban on organ trading. Calling the ban "irrational", she argued that a person (presumably a foreigner) should be allowed to pay for an organ transplant, so long as Singaporeans and PRs take precedent over foreigners. It does not matter, she continues, whether money changes hands or not. The main issue here is that a life is saved. So, in future, if we're in need of money, we can offer our body parts for sales. What? Eyeing at that 42-inch plasma TV and no cash? No problem, just offer one of your kidneys.

Of course, Dr Lee, who is never shy of controversies, is entitled to her view, which I find rather simplistic, especially coming from the head of the National Neuroscience Institute. If the ban is indeed lifted, who's to ensure that the system would not be abused, unless some sort of legislation is put in place to prevent the abuse. Even with legislation, I think it would be difficult to re-enforce. Organs are in high demand. If there's a demand, there's always a supply. And, sadly, the supply would come from the people in the lower strata of our society. Who's to stop them from selling their blood, kidneys or part of their livers to put food on the dining table? It's difficult for someone who's never been poor or who's born with a silver spoon in his or her mouth to truly understand the desperate measures the poor would take to make ends meet.

In my opinion, organ trading is just ethically wrong. We are not some red or white meat that we could buy off the shelves at the supermarkets. I think we human deserve better than that.

The ban should stay put.

Category: Musings

5 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

damn... you beat me to it.

Dr Lee Wei Leng is quite vocal nowadays huh? beh ke si yi lao bei (想气死她老爸).

postpone my post liao lah!

Victor said...

Damn... you beat me to it.

The above comment is meant for Eastcoastlife. I used to be the first to comment on Chris' blog but now my position has been usurped... *sob*. You are a stalker of another kind.

No worries, Chris. If you are short of money, you need not resort to such a drastic measure like selling your kidneys or other organs. And unfortunately, you are not a woman, otherwise you would have more organs to sell. Some more, your organs already more than half-used, I doubt anyone would one to buy a shrivelled kidney or the like, haha.

Instead, go sell your blog lah. I checked, yours is worth US$2,258.16 (same as Elaine's). Chun See's is worth $20,323.44. Mine only $6000+. As for Eastcoastlife's, well let me put it this way - she need not sell anything else liao.

Elaine - I think you got US$0.00 because you typed in your blogsite address wrongly. Try cut and paste this one there:

http://simplyetel.blogspot.com

Chris Sim said...

If mine is the same as Elaines, so it means that there's a pre-determined figures stored somewhere. Where got accurate? Crap.

Chey Victor, I tot you've finally agreed to loan me the $10,000 I asked you that day. If not, it seems like I really have to resort to selling my kidney leow. Half-used also got people want ok? But confirmed YOUR broken ankle nobody want one.

What extra organs you talking about? Have your coconut balls shrunk to zilch? LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I missed the article altogether. I also curious how much my blog is worth but too lazy to. As for selling organs .. nobody interesting in more than half century ones.

Colingwood said...

You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... I want to donate my kidney