Monday, January 29, 2007

The day the washer died

It's been acting rather quirky of late.

First, it gave off a rubber smell whenever it got into a spin. Then, over the weekend, it got nasty, behaving like a prima donna, acting as if it had a mind of its own. It began to leak and "piss" all over the spot where it has stood faithfully for the past six years.


I'm talking about my washing machine, of course. When the machine broke, I contacted Mr Fix-it for some advice. I asked if he had any lobang for a washing machine servicemen. That man took a day to answer my sms, and only to tell me to get a new machine when he learned that the one I have back home is almost a museum artefact.

I wish money could juz grow on the money plant in my balcony. Maybe the the problem is as simple as replacing a loose screw? Who knows? Anyway, Mr Fix-it finally gave me a number he found in one of the flyers in his mailbox. It's one of those "fly-by-night" operators going round our heartlands making a killing out of the pockets of the ill-informed or igorant heatlanders. As a parting shot, Mr Fix-it wrote: "use@ownrisk".

At my wits end, I called the number. And the man said he would turn up today. Well, the man came, the man tried to fix the washer and the man gave up. He told me to call the agent, saying that the condition of the washer is pretty grave (or was the tool man complaining about his tools?) Anyway, I called the agent for an appointment scheduled tomorrow. But in the mean time, I juz have to do something to the laundry which is piling up!

Man, it's tough when your washer died on you. Trust me; you could survive without a fridge (well, you juz have to store them in your stomach), the air-con (juz sleep in your birthday suit) or the television (there's always the Net), but you juz can't do without a washing machine, for you'd soon realise that you'd run out of clothes to wear. Not unless you resort to washing your clothes the old-fashion way, like what our mothers used to do in the past, when the washing machine was a luxury only the well-heeled could afford. Yes, you hand wash them, like what I did today!

This is no joke, I tell ya, squatting in the toilet, body all bent scrubbing the dirty collars of the shirts, especially those darned white school uniform of my son! (Now I appreciate my mom more!) You need pails and pails of water, rinsing the clothes back and forth several times. The worst part of the ordeal is having to wring the clothes dry. And that requires lots of effort and strength.



That's not the end of the woes, though. After the clothes have been washed, you've got another worry. Where are you gonna hang out the clothes to dry? Now, no matter how hard you manually wring the clothes, it would never be as dry as those done by the washing machine. So, if I were to hang them out of the windows, I'm sure the water would soon start to drip onto the neigbhours’ clothes below, and I've no intention to be like the neigbhour from hell upstairs who has no qualms whatsoever putting out her wet and dripping clothes out of her windows, regardless or not if the people living below her are drying their clothes.

Well, I really haven't much of a choice. The only thing to do is to wring the clothes, let them "stand" in a pail for an hour or so, hang them up on the poles and put up the poles on the pole-hangers WITHIN THE HOUSE, and when they are no longer dripping wet, hang them out at the windows. See how considerate I am?

And what did I get in return? Another heap of clothes waiting to be "hand-washed". Sigh .....



Category: Musings

10 comments:

iml said...

It's truly a nightmare when the washing machine goes on strike. I was in tears when mine did that to me. In my frustration, I gave it a 'gentle' knock and it came back to life. I was lucky.

Victor said...

Told you to get a new washing machine and you dowan. Then you called the fly-by-night company listed on the flyer. The repairman told you he couldn't repair it. (I hope he didn't twist your arm for a $30 'transport fee'.) Then you took a second day's leave and wait for the Ariston man to come.

I tell you what I think is going to happen - Ariston man come. He takes the washing machine away for one week. Comes back and charges you $200 for it. "Parts replaced are guaranteed for 1 month" he says. Then on the 32nd day, your washing machine breaks down again and it is not because of the same parts.

So in the end, if you count all the leave taken, the trouble you went through and the money you spent, isn't buying a new washing machine a better, smarter and cheaper option? Conceited Dragon, go figure.

Got so much clothes to wash and still can write such a long post and take photos some more. Tsk, tsk, tsk, some people just don't get their priorities right.

Victor said...

Just can't resist this: So the repairmen couldn't find the 'loose screw' in your washing machine? Maybe they should try looking in your head. ROTFLOVVVL.

eastcoastlife said...

How come YOU are washing the clothes?

Send to a laundry ma.

Take leave just to get your washing machine repaired? Your Maths not too good huh? Aiyo, go buy a new washing machine la! They are so cheap nowadays. Buy a Samsung or LG la.

Chris Sim said...

IML - Ya, we've become over reliant on technology and usually take them for granted ....

Victor - Are you NUTS? The loose screw wasn't in my head. The technician found it and fixed it right back where it belongs - underneath the washing machine. What did I tell you? Good think I neber listen to your lousy advice and go buy a new washing machine... Eat your heart out, Monkey....

Jayne - Why shouldn't I be WASHING the clothes? I'm a good husband (and a good daddy). Have you forgotten? Yalor, my maths not so good. Maybe that explains why I'm not the "calculative" kind. Basket linked me as "The A** one", 这笔张,我还没跟你算呢!

Victor said...

Chris, Jayne's Chinese is quite powderful one. How could you have mistaken 张 for 帐? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

eastcoastlife said...

Chris look carefully huh!

It's A** - Stars!!!! People got only one star, you got two leh!

The A stars one!

我怎么敢老虎头上拍苍蝇。 随便你吧!
聪明脸儿笨肚肠。

Chris Sim said...

Victor - 张 or 帐, whatever lah. Jayne knew what I meant...

Jayne - what tiger? What fly? I only understood two words of what you wrote - 聪明。哈哈!

就如你所说的 - 真人不露相, 露相非真人!

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine squatting down to wash clothes ...where is the wooden 洗衣板 ?
Nowadays in Sg, buying a washing machine might be cheaper than sending for repair, ya ?
What brand arh ? Looks new leh...
(Won't buy the same brand...) :O

Chris Sim said...

Thanks for dropping by tigerfish. Woa, your blog is so full of food! I was attracted by the moving pic of your chicken pie. And they look darn good leh. I must try baking one day.

没有洗衣板啦!It's Ariston brand. Very reliable. Has been serving me for more than 6 years. But I only paid $50 for transport and diagnostic test to the agent. It turned out that one of the screws came loose and went missing! But I was told that if major fault occurred in the drum, the cost would be around $200 plus. Then, it would be more worthwhile to get a new machine. I think Samsung or LG would go for around $300 and above. Problem is most of these brands are the top-loading type. I need a front-loading type because of the built in cabinet mah.... Front-loading models are usually more expensive lor ....

Your blog is so tasty I juz have to link it! Hee!