Tuesday, October 11, 2005

S.A.R and a tribute to my colleagues

Oh... that stands for Staff Appraisal Report. It's something practiced by most companies and it's definitely the THING that determines if you would advance in your career.

My boss met me today to talk about my SAR. I came out of the meeting feeling, well, pretty "happy" after being told about my performance. Well, nothing earth-shaking, but my boss said something to the effect that my performance has been more than "mediocre", for want of a better word. But then my boss is ever sooo diplomatic - a great guy. No I'm not going to dwell into the that taboo thingy 'cos that's something that's 可遇不可救。 Sorry...

Truth is, I enjoy my work. And I love the challenges that my job brings (no kidding). I'm also lucky to be working under leaders who are both task-oriented and compassionate. The colleagues whom I work with are fun-loving, and are dedicated in their work. We play hard and work hard, fooling around at times, cracking jokes at each other expenses and have no qualms about laughing at themselves. Laugher is a must-have recipe in the office. It's what makes us happy workers; and we know happy workers equate productive workers, don’t' we? So, if I'm happy, I must definitely be productive. Maybe productive enough to warrant a score of "above-average" in my SAR. So, in a way, I owe it to all my beloved colleagues and I should give them due credits. Hee!

We all heard about Monday Blue, haven't we? But have you heard about Weekday Blue? That's when I miss my work and my co-workers over the weekends and couldn't wait to get back to the office on Monday. It's weird and I wonder just how many people feel the way I do....

It must be the interaction and the challenges in the office that beckons... I have no other explanation. Or... maybe it's the domesticity of life that bores me?

4 comments:

Victor said...

'I own [sic] it to all my beloved colleagues and I should give them due credits.' Instead of just giving them credits, why not give them a treat as well hah? (Just a suggestion worth considering for you, and worth trying for me, hee.)

I can see how elatedly happy you are judging from the number of typo errors you made in this post. Why, you have even managed to somehow replaced the word 'how' to 'happy' in this sentence:

'I wonder just happy [sic] many people feel the way I do...'

I can't wait to see your reaction when the promotion finally comes, as I am sure it will, sooner or later.

Chris Sim said...

There Victor, I've reposted the entry and removed words that have contributed to your miscontrustion!

I do share your sentiments expressed in your last para, though. It's either sooner or later. To put it simply, either, 5 years, 8 years or the next 20 years.

Don't forget I'm also holding a trump card against you, Victor. If you get "it", remember to pass it on to me. Be a REAL man and keep your word. Hahahahah... (evil laughter)

Anonymous said...

Hi pal, glad to see that finally you've got an "above average" assessment after all these years. Keep it up!

Btw the Chinese phase should be 可遇不可求.

Chris Sim said...

Wah Alex, you "finally you've got an above average" assessment" very cheem leh. I've always been "above average" wat.

Oh ya... should be 可遇不可求 and not 救. Did you clear your Chinese A level?