Tuesday, June 28, 2005

"Counsellors" know best....

My colleagues and I are not lacking in lunchtime activities since moving to our new office in Science Park. We can work out in the gym; sign up for yoga lessons; and for the less physically-inclined, catch a movie at the auditorium. My office also organises lunchtime talks by professional trainers and counsellors on improving the quality of family life. Such was the attitude of the management. These days, family seems to have taken precedent over office. I'm most glad.

Last month, we attended a talk by a speaker on "Why women is always right and men are never wrong" during lunch. I sat enthralled, as the speaker talked about the differences between men and women and how men and women should recognise these differences, compromise with each other, and learn to live with each other. Easier said, then done, I must add. But I thought the speaker was entertaining and funny. His depiction of daily-occurrences between a wife and her husband and the way he brought the message across almost always left us in stitches. Perhaps what he said has struck a chord with both the women and men in the audience. And what did he say? That how men are always wanting sex, even if it's just a quickie, and how women are always complaining that we men are in the room physically, but our mind are so far away in "lala" land, always nodding our heads in agreement while burying our heads in the papers and never really listening and understanding a word spoken by the women. Hilarious.

There was another talk today by another speaker. Today's talk is about the different style of parenting and it's no less entertaining. The speaker spoke about three parenting styles - Sgt Major style (aka "Do-as-I-say-dun-argue" style), the Jellyfish style ("I'll-do-everything-for-ya style") and the Busy Bee style (aka "I'm-very-busy-fend-for-yourself style).

It got me thinking of my parenting style. I suppose most parents, like myself, don't stick to a particular style but adopt different styles whenever the occasion calls for. For instance, when imposing a curfew on the kids, I'll use the Sgt Major style. When I'm teaching my kids how to fish (as oppose to giving them the fish), I'll use the Busy-bee style approach. Again, it's really easier said then done...

The speaker also spoke of the WOO or Window of Opportunity. The WOO phase occurs when the child is between the age of 6-12. This is the time to nurture the kids. Once we miss the WOO phase, so the speaker went, the kids have pretty much been moulded and it will be difficult to get the kids to change for the better. Senior Junior is now 13. It makes me wonder ... have I missed his WOO? Can I not "nurture" him any further? Oh the angst of parenthood!

No comments: