Sunday, June 19, 2005

Table for 12

Dinner at my mum's place is usually not a "get-together" affair in the strict sense of the word. This holds true even for reunion dinner. Firstly, the dinner table can only sit 8 people. Secondly, it's difficult to get everyone to arrive punctually to have a decent meal together, hectic as we are.

Today's being Father's day, my sis-in-law, May, decided to play chef for Dad, and gave mum a "day-off". What's more, she has thoughtfully extended a small table next to the dinner table, just so that all 12 of my extended family members could have dinner together.

May did quite a commendable job, whipping up dishes such as fried chicken wings, fish balls and sotong balls, pork-rib soup. I was impressed, and wonder how the slim lady might have felt. She did muttered how redundant mum would have felt. This statement, coming from her, is understandable, considering she's the other daughter-in-law. She also happens to be "not a very good cook". I told her to just eat her food.

Of late, Nick, my bro and his wife have been trying to open up communications in the family. And what better way to communicate then during dinner? I've always said, food is a great way to bond with your friends and loved ones.

Today is also my day. Senior Junior gave me a card, a VCD(ocean twelve) and a friendship band which has my name "Chris" stitched on it. He asked me to wear it to the office, and I said I would. Not to be outdone, Junior also gave me a card and has drawn a picture of his Dad bald-headed (???!!).

Now, I wonder why Senior Junior gave me a friendship band. It seems he wants me to be his "friend". Was it because a friend won't yell at you to study hard, tidy up the room and be sensitive to the needs of others? A friend also won't stop you from spending hours on the PS2 and computers? Some people subscribe to the thinking that we parents ought to be friends with our kids. I agree, but with some misgivings. We can't be friends with them all the time. If not, one fine day, you'll find them sitting comfortably on the top of your head.

I'll wear the band, kiddo. But don't expect Daddy to be your friend, always.

2 comments:

Victor said...

How nice, Chris. I mean both the dinner AND the gifts. In contrast, I didn't have any of those (yes, not even the invitation to be a friend). You should count yourself lucky to be a loved dad. This dad had to buy Fathers' Day dinner for the rest of the family on Fathers' Day eve. Still, I enjoyed their company for the eve of Fathers' Day dinner. This is a good enough gift for me.

And do not worry about your sons sitting on top of your head one day - you know that it is not easy to do on a balding (and slippery) one, wahaha.

Chris Sim said...

Aiyah, why you so like dat? I'm sure your kids will turn out to be fine young men, just like the Dad, who's really NOT that young anymore. Hahaha...

Haha.. I like your humour victor, about my kids sitting on my head and SLIPPING down. Beats me why Junior drew me bald, cause I'm certainly not bald, though I agree, the hair is getting thiner. But I'm sure you'll agree that having SOME hair is better then no hair, right?