Saturday, June 18, 2005

A trip of family togetherness...

I brought the kids and the slim lady to the Mainland Fish Farm at Pasir Ris today. It's a trip I've been wanting to make since Victor Koo told me about it weeks ago. Since the school holidays started, I've yet to take the kids out. So, more than anything else, the trip is really about making me feel less guilty for not having spent enough time with the kids during the hols.

I was surprised that the slim lady wanted to tag along too, cause I was quite sure she would much prefer to settle in front of the tube with her Korean VCD. What's with those Korean "auntie killers" anyway? They look like a bunch of sissies to me, to say the least. This is so politically incorrect, but what a heck. Anyway, the slim lady decided it was time for some family togetherness, too, and so off we went.

The farm wasn't that impressive. It has various ponds built into rows, housing mainly fishes such as the Japanese carps. To make the trip more exciting for the visitors, fish food at $1 per pack can be purchased over the counter to feed the fishes. Junior wasn't that excited. He was more so eating the ice-cream we purchased at the farm. Needless to say, "senior junior" (as my pal Victor would have called my elder son who is 13), was equally bored, though he assured me that the trip was certainly "not lame". There are some fishes on sales, mainly gold fish. Out of sheer boredom, I bought 4 guppies at a dollar each. Not exactly cheap, but just wanna inject some fun and excitement for the kids in the trip. Ya, they help to choose the guppies and fish them out of the tank. Still, the trip is not a total waste. If anything else, the kids did bond with me and the slim lady in that 1 and half hour we spent at the farm.

4 comments:

Victor said...

I am sorry that it didn't sound like you all enjoyed yourself very much at the farm. Well, at least you all have some family bonding together. That's more important. It doesn't matter what you do or where you go, right?

I personally find that such places are quite rare in Singapore nowadays. Do you know that this farm used to be in Old Tampines Road (Farmway 2) only some 5 years back? It was because of land redevelopment that the farm had to move to its present location.

Don't know whether these exhibits are still at the farm - there used to be 3 Arapaima (spelling may not be correct). They are real giant black freshwater fish (endangered?) and are native in Amazon river in South America. Each of them was more than 2 metres long and was a certainly a sight to behold.

Chris Sim said...

Ya, I think we caught a glimpse of the Arapaima (spelling is CORRECT) while at the farm, one of which was extremely huge.

So, where els can we find nature in Singapore? Don't tell me bukit timah hill hor. Have you brought your kids to chek jawa?

Victor said...

No, have not been to Chek Jawa myself, not to mention the kids (should rightfully refer them as 'sons' now after the incident at the Science Centre). Thought of bringing them there one of these days. Heard that the gahmen is building 'minimally invasive' boardwalks over that area soon. Maybe would wait until then... so can avoid walking in the mud, typically pampered S'poreans we are, hee.

Victor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.