Thursday, February 15, 2007

Club Street revisited

Ever since I became a proud owner of a camera-phone, lunch with my lunch kaki has taken on a new meaning. To put it simply, I've become quite trigger happy with my new found toy. And at times, perilously so (more about this in another post).

While having lunch with Victor and Moogee at Maxwell Market last week, I couldn't help but reach for my camera-phone to snap some shots of my favorite foodstall.



Of course, this is the famous 五香贯胀 of China Street, juz a stone's throw away from Club Stree where I grew up. I practically grew up eating these stuff back in the 70s and 80s. My Dad loves the ngor hiang and the guan chiang from this stall. And so do I. The variety sold here are very different from the "chunky" ones you find in foodstalls elsewhere, both in taste and in appearance. I love the egg slice here. It's second to none in Singapore.

Each time I'm at Maxwell Market, if I'm not having them for lunch, I would tapau them for dinner. And I've been there at least twice for lunch with Victor and Moogee the past two weeks. I never grow tired of eating these stuff!


One our way back to the office, I asked Victor if he could kindly detour to Club Street. The sentimental fool in me wanna take a look at the place where I grew up and to zap a photo or two of the building which has been preserved by the gahmen. Bless his soul, Victor very kindly obliged, but not before giving me an assignment by saying, "Take the photos already better blog about it!" See lah? There's no such thing as a free lunch. Victor never misses a chance to remind me that!

Anyway, before I knew it, we were at the carpark in front of what used to be my childhood playground - my childhood home which I've blogged about it sometime back! See how it has been transformed....

Club Street today



Club Street in the 70s/80s. The blue arrow is where my family used to stayed, while the 2nd floor and the ground floor were occupied by my granny, aunts and uncles

See what a camera-phone can do to you? It draws out the sentimental fool in me and put me in a nostalgic mood. I've got more photos in my phone waiting to be blogged!

Category: Yesteryear

8 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

The romantic fool is also a sentimental one eh?

Is it only me? To publish a comment on blogger, need to repeat 2, 3 times.

Victor said...

Chris, this is what I promised you earlier, an extract from the book "Street Names Of Singapore" about Club Street:

Club Street

"After the Weekly Entertainment Club, founded in 1891 under the presidency of Lee Choon Guan, and in existence, it was the only Straits Chinese proprietary club. The street was known for its clubs and trade guilds. Pondok Peranakan Gelam at No 64, which closed in 2000, provided communal food and lodgings to Baweanese, also called Boyans, who came to work in Singapore. There are a few such clubs extant which in their heyday were desirable places for networking. Another club was the Goh Loo behind the Yeung Ching Chinese School, which has been demolished to make way for the architecturally insensitive Emerald Garden Condominium. See Ee Hoe Hean Club."

The things I will do for a friend.

Chun See, Blogger requires you to log in first before you post your comment. If you don't, then you have to log in 2 times. If you take too long composing your comments, you have to log in 3 times. That is my experience and could explain what you've been experiencing too.

oceanskies79 said...

Oh thing I realised about "favourite food" of mine. It is not just the taste of the food, but the memories that it evokes that makes the food such a favourite.

Having said that, I miss many of my maternal grandmother's cooking. Those were favourite food of mine. :)

Thank you for sharing on your memories of Club Street.

Anonymous said...

We live in Swa Teng (山顶)type never knew where was Club St. Even now not very sure - behind Maxwell Market is it?

Chris Sim said...

Chun See
From Maxwell Market, you exit the carpark, turn left into Ang Siang Road, and then turn right into Club Street. Today, the place has become a club scene, I think...

Victor
Thanks for the little history of Club Street. The Singapore Encyclopedia also has a very brief description on its history.

Oceanskies79
Ya, I agree with ya. Food does stir up our memories. That's why I'm putting down, in writing, some of my mum's recipe, eg, pumpkin noodles, popiah and glutinous rice! My mum is the world's best cook. Hee!

eastcoastlife said...

酒越久越醇,
朋友相交越久越真;
水越流越清,
世间沧桑越流越淡。
祝新年快乐,时时好心情!

Thanks for your friendship!

Victor said...

Chris, can you please stop boasting about the photos that you have taken with your new toy? Have you noticed something wrong with the photos?. It is very obvious with the latest Club Street photo. Well, look at the upper left hand corner of that photo. When there is strong light, the light tends to 'wash out' the other parts of the photo. How can a $48 camera phone beat a proper digicam? As this is a serious comment, there's no 'hahaha'.

Chris Sim said...

Victor
You must compare apple with apple. I'm not saying that a camera-phone is better than a digicamera. Unless you're living in a stone age, you should know that there are camera-phones that function as well as a digicam, those with mp higher then 2. But of course you got to be prepared to spend more. Unless you've been speed-reading, even our office geek Alex agrees that a 2mp is more than enough to do a decent job for blog-publishing.

Yes, I've noticed the little"over-exposure" (despite being 1 year older, you're still as alert as a monkey, I mean as before), but it's a small irritation I'm prepared to live with. 9 out of 10 of the pix I took, outdoor or indoor, turned out fine. I have a digicam, too. But I'm put off by the idea of having to lug it around on an everyday-basis. I'm not a tourist, you know. Unlike someone. LOL.

This is als not a funny comment. But I'll still "hahahaha" anyway, juz to amuse you.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Hng!