Monday, January 02, 2006

The Da Vinci Code


Over the hols, I've completed reading Dan Brown's book the "Da Vinci Code" and what a f***! The book is so full of what one would call blasphemies that it totally blew my mind away.

The story, in a nutshell, is about a treasure-hunt to uncover the secrets that would shatter the very foundation of the Church, revealing the lies perpetuated by the Church for the past thousands of years.

No wonder Brown's book has drawn quite a fair bit of flak, notably from some circles in the Christian and Catholic communities, and scholars and historians in Christianity alike. And with the movie adaptation of the book starring Hollywood bigwig Tom Hanks as the protagonist premiering on May 19, 2006, there seems no sign of the criticisms abating.

Granted, some of the "blasphemies" in the book have well been documented in other books and even movies (eg, The Last Temptation of Christ), but what makes Brown's book stand out from the rest is his effrontery in mixing facts with fiction. Brown even claims, at the beginning of the book, that "all descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.”

I'm neither a historian nor someone very well versed in the bible, so I'm not about to judge Dan Brown (that's the job of our Lord) and will just enjoy the book for what it is - a novel.

For a preview of the movie, click here.

4 comments:

Victor said...

Chris, I did not read the book. Neither am I a Christian. So I am in no position to comment - please don't treat this as a comment.

Chun See, another reason why I have not been active on my own blog is that Chris has been such a prolific blogger that I am kept quite busy just commenting on his blog, even when I have nothing to say. :)

Chris Sim said...

Oh Victor! Like the "vanishing scenes" in your blog, we thought you've vanished from the face of Earth! Glad to hear from you again.

Well, you need not be a Christian in order to read that book. As a matter of fact, that book is an affront to many Christians. I read that book with an open mind and it has in no way affected my belief in God. Some may brand the book as "evil". But what is Goodness if one does not know Evil? It's just a novel, Victor :P

Anonymous said...

so you do like the book uncle chris? sorry been busy these days, didnt catch this entry in time.. heh. but goodness, is this book good? :p

- EteL

Chris Sim said...

I've mixed feeling about the book, Etel. I read the book with an open mind and yes, admittedly, I enjoyed the book and will no doubt catch the movie. But I'm also not very comfortable with Brown's fictitious account of the lives of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene.
That's blasphemy through and through.

Interestingly, Brown was reported to be facing a lawsuit for having plagiarized the story of The Da Vinci Code from another author. Read it here Etel if it's of any interest to you.