Saturday, January 21, 2006

No more oily food and giving Bagus a miss?

My aunt, who is in her 70s, suffered a heart attack while on holiday at Bangkok two weeks ago. She passed out while stepping out of the plane and her heart stopped beating for 20 minutes. Miraculously, she survived, but not after having undergone a by-pass surgery.

She's back in Singapore, recuperating at home. I paid her a visit today. Sitting on a wheel-chair, she's a shadow of her former robust and healthy past. I remember her as the aunt who was full of life and energy. Despite her age, she took the public transport, often travelling alone from Onan Road where she lives to Chinatown to do her marketing.

It was truly remarkable that my aunt survives the heart attack. According to my nieces, the doctors in Thailand tried more than 30 minutes to get her heart back to pumping again. One would have thought that she would have been brain dead for the lack of oxygen but she could still recall my name.

I remember too, that my aunt was extremely careful with her intake of food, or so I thought. It transpired that she was extremely fond of pig trotters and fatty meat. From this episode, my nieces have taken upon themselves to ensure that my aunt consumes only steamed food henceforth. There'll be no more fried chicken, Char Kway Teow and anything that's oily. This despite the doctor's assurance that my aunt should be able to revert to eating anything she likes upon recovery. Doctors sometimes don't know better and my nieces aren't taking any chances. They themselves have also sworn off anything that's fried, and advised me to do the same. How pleasurable can life get?

I've been pondering hard since about my lunch with Bagus. To say our lunch is sinful is an understatement. Just to name a few - roast duck, Char Siew and roast pork, nasi bryani, prawn noodle and Char Kway Teow. How can life's little pleasures be life's greatest perils all at the same time? Why oh why?

A couple of moons ago, I told myself I'll eat more greens. Sometimes, I'd go on a lettuce-tomatoes-fruits buying spree, making my very own salad for breakfast and lunch. This usually happened when someone I knew met with some unfortunate incident, like my aunt (Yes, I've just been to NTUC and bought lots of veggie for my salad tomorrow!) Unfortunately, my affair with my salad is rather platonic. It comes and goes and does not seem to sustain for long. And before I know, I'll be lunching with Bagus at various eateries and the 1000-people restaurants again.

Of course, to be really honest, the problem lies not so much with having lunch with Bagus, for I have the freedom of choice when it comes to hawker food. But it's hard to resist the temptation if you see one of the Bagus chaps like Victor eating Char Kway Teow and I have to be contended with a bowl of congee.

Life's never fair :((

Category: Health

7 comments:

Victor said...

Go on Chris, you can put all the blame on me when you end up eating all the wrong types of food. I know it is a difficult time for you and I should let you vent out all your frustrations. (I guess I should try suppress the truth here - in reality you are always the one who takes the initiative when it comes to the choice of food. If my memory serves me right, many a times, it was you who suggested, "Why not we eat Char Kway Teow at Ghim Moh today?" And I simply went along with your suggestion. Sigh, guess I must exercise better self-control too, for your sake.)

Oh no, if I happen to go earlier than you, who are you going to taunt huh?

Chris Sim said...

Hold your horse, Victor! (we seem to be in the topic of horses these days, huh? Your horse and horsing around and what have you!).

Pse DO NOT say anything inauspicious. CNY is just 6 days away! May all of us be in good health. And lots of wealth, too!

I didn't really realise that I've been making our lunchtime choices. Next time, YOU decide!

Anonymous said...

haha! funny comments :p

happy new year uncle chris and uncle victor! :D *drools thinking of the angbaos*

i share the same sentiment.. i never eat the greens often, and i only do it whenever im really in the mood, which is like.. once in a... er... red moon?

it doesnt help when my boyfriend has a sweet tooth =\

- EteL

Lam Chun See said...

Chris, may I suggest you put off this new year resolution until after CNY. CNY is not complete without oily foods like bakua, keropok, etc.

Chris Sim said...

Hi Etel - hv been reading your blog. Do put on your smile Etel. I've not seen a smile that's not beautiful. Dun worry about the veggie. You can replaced them with fruits. But durian doesn't count. Hee! Happy New Year to you too, Etel.祝你天天开心!

Chun See - you're the man! I love a Devil's Advocate, telling me to do what many others tell me do not. Yes, why not think of that resolution AFTER the CNY. When comes to bakua, don't tell me about resolution. In this case, my mind is willing, and my body is even MORE willing. LOL. 恭喜发财!

Anonymous said...

all i can say is...

=.="

(so much for the greensssss resolution)

happy lunar new year uncle lam too! :D

Lam Chun See said...

Wow, I noticed that 'Uncle Chris' is just as observant as the other uncle when it comes to pictures of young girls.

Happy New Year everyone.